problems installing windows 98

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 18, 2005 5:01:03 PM

I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the computer
crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says verifying dmi
pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may need to be
reinstalled.
the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the hard
drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this or even
installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk, turn the
computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and the
A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or file name.
i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98 manual and
i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response (bad
command or file name).
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:34:56 PM

"acolcheia" <acolcheia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the computer
> crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says verifying
dmi
> pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may need to
be
> reinstalled.
> the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the hard
> drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this or
even
> installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk, turn the
> computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and the
> A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or file
name.
> i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98 manual
and
> i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response (bad
> command or file name).

Do not attempt to reinstal without first reading a
reliable source like
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

(E.g. you need to ensure you have the instal CD's
product key before you destroy the old Registry
whicih listed it.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

the floppy disk that you are using does not contain the format program,
hence 'bad command'
to use the cd setup program (note only 1 T in setup) you have to change to
the cd drive then run setup(1 T)
from the a:> prompt assuming that D: is the cd drive
prompt type and press the enter key
A:> d:
D:> setup

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"acolcheia" <acolcheia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the computer
| crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says verifying
dmi
| pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may need to
be
| reinstalled.
| the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the hard
| drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this or
even
| installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk, turn the
| computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and the
| A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or file
name.
| i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98 manual
and
| i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response (bad
| command or file name).
| Any suggestions?
| Thanks
June 18, 2005 10:54:52 PM

Yes, careful of your grammar, AND do a little reading first...

If errors are caused by hardware, then a reinstall of Windows is not the
cure. However...

Setup.exe, run from your Installation CD or from your .cabs folder,
accomplishes either an Over-Install or a Fresh Install. The procedural
difference is you first wipe the prior Windows installation for a Fresh
Install, or install it to different folders. Two folders are involved:
"C:\Windows" & "C:\Program Files", and these files: MSDOS.sys,
Config.sys, Autoexec.bat & System.1st.

For an Over-install, you must direct it to install to C:\Windows,
instead of C:\Windows.000 (where it normally would want to go, when it
sees a "C:\Windows" already exists).

An over-install supposedly leaves all else intact, but there are some
who say it will over-write .vxds (drivers) and otherwise musses
settings. Therefore, it becomes a lot of work to do it, as you must
un/re-install large applications, before/after the over-install. Also,
you must go to Windows Update afterwards, to see whether it detects it
needs to reinstall it's criticals. There is Version Conflict Manager to
do. Finally, they say, it is wise to back up critical data even before
an over-install.

Others swear an over-install is effortless (under an hour) and
effective. Just select to install to the existing directory, when it
makes the offer to go elsewhere. If it fails, then you may need to do a
tweak, such as renaming Win.com before starting. (Personally, I have
never Fresh or Over-Installed Windows. I did actually click Setup.exe
once, and was presented with an alluring screenful-- but I cancelled.)
Well, anyway, take a look at the URLs below, which really apply to both.

You want to do a FRESH Install? Are you pure Windows or OEM, such as
Compaq? If you are OEM, then you can get back to factory condition by
using their recovery CD, such as QuickRestore, which may contain
proprietary drivers and add-ons. Otherwise...

http://www.hexff.com/index.html How to Clean Install
This first has it all, but..
(a) Perhaps don't do the 2.5 swap file thing, &
(b) You may rather have multiple partitions, &
(c) Attend it's warning: Have any non-Windows peripheral drivers
available to install afterwards. Here...
http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/three-- & one (by Glee) that was so-so (or worse). SO, BETTER
make a full system backup, before wiping Windows.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html Badour has one
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm Aumha has one
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250928 How to Reinstall Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
How to Reinstall Windows into a new folder

"Setup.txt", located in the same folder as "Setup.exe", either on CD or
hard drive. This instructs how to run it from a folder on the hard
drive, but "hexff" says it better.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129971&Product=w98
"SU" Error Message List for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup

Get a Startup Diskette from
http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
normal.)

Here is what I know of those Installation CD's. The full list of
capabilities of each type of CD is as follows, says Harper. Each
requires a valid Product key. "Proof" means it must see you had a prior
version. So, if it isn't sitting there, expect to insert a floppy or
earlier CD.

FULL VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of existing
OS. Does not ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version.

UPGRADE VERSION: Will perform either clean install or upgrade of
existing OS. Will ask for proof of ownership of an earlier version if
one is not installed.

WIN98 SE UPDATES: Will only install if Windows 98 is present on the hard
drive. Cannot be used for a clean install at all.

OEM VERSION: Only installs on a clean, fresh-formatted hard drive. May
be customized to include or omit components that would be found/not
found on a retail CD.

Be sure of your ProductKey...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
ProductKey "12345-12345-12345-12345-12345"

(1) "START, Run, RegEdit"
(2) Click plus signs beginning at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", & ending with
"Windows".
(3) Click "CurrentVersion" in the left pane under "Windows".
(4) Look in right pane for ProductKey.

That is the one that was used to install your current Windows. Jot it
down, as it may work if different from the one on your Windows 98 Manual
or CD case.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"acolcheia" <acolcheia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the
computer
| crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says
verifying dmi
| pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may
need to be
| reinstalled.
| the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the
hard
| drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this
or even
| installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk, turn
the
| computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and
the
| A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or
file name.
| i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98
manual and
| i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response
(bad
| command or file name).
| Any suggestions?
| Thanks
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:14:25 AM

Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data...:

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

"acolcheia" <acolcheia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the computer
> crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says verifying dmi
> pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may need to be
> reinstalled.
> the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the hard
> drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this or even
> installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk, turn the
> computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and the
> A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or file name.
> i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98 manual and
> i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response (bad
> command or file name).
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:17:59 AM

Please post back with the exact error message word for word, rather than just
telling us "a certain path is not found".
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"acolcheia" <acolcheia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the computer
> crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says verifying dmi
> pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may need to be
> reinstalled.
> the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the hard
> drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this or even
> installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk, turn the
> computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and the
> A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or file name.
> i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98 manual and
> i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response (bad
> command or file name).
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:16:46 PM

Was your review of...
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
.... so-so or worse?

--
| Please post back with the exact error message word for word, rather
than just
| telling us "a certain path is not found".
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
|
| "acolcheia" <acolcheia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the
computer
| > crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says
verifying dmi
| > pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may
need to be
| > reinstalled.
| > the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the
hard
| > drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this
or even
| > installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk,
turn the
| > computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and
the
| > A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or
file name.
| > i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98
manual and
| > i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response
(bad
| > command or file name).
| > Any suggestions?
| > Thanks

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:02:03 PM

I personally have no use for it, and find it far better to freshly install drivers
after a format/reinstall. For that, it helps to identify all devices prior to the
format, if that is possible.
--

news:o 1fZjNQdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Was your review of...
> http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
> ... so-so or worse?
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | Please post back with the exact error message word for word, rather
> than just
> | telling us "a certain path is not found".
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> |
> | "acolcheia" <acolcheia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > I had windows 98 in my computer and all of the sudden I think the
> computer
> | > crashed. When i turn it on it gets to the screen where it says
> verifying dmi
> | > pool and then a certain path is not found therefore windows 98 may
> need to be
> | > reinstalled.
> | > the problme is i thought it would be a good idea to first format the
> hard
> | > drive and then install windows 98. but i am having problem with this
> or even
> | > installing windows 98 settup. briefly i insert the start up disk,
> turn the
> | > computer on, and it performs several scan and i select number 1. and
> the
> | > A:\>comes up and i type in format C: and i get back bad command or
> file name.
> | > i tried typing in settup as instructed in the microsoft windows 98
> manual and
> | > i get the same response. i type in help and i get the same response
> (bad
> | > command or file name).
> | > Any suggestions?
> | > Thanks

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:40:56 PM

I guess I'll leave it as originally phrased. OK, thanks.

--
news:o sOlBLSdFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| I personally have no use for it, and find it far better to freshly
install drivers
| after a format/reinstall. For that, it helps to identify all devices
prior to the
| format, if that is possible.
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

| news:o 1fZjNQdFHA.1288@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > Was your review of...
| > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
| > ... so-so or worse?
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > | Please post back with the exact error message word for word,
rather
| > than just
| > | telling us "a certain path is not found".
| > | --
| > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...