Win98 Critical Updates

I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually check
about once a week.
12 answers Last reply
More about win98 critical updates

    > I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually
    check
    > about once a week.

    A better indicator may be the date of each patch file.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Updates seem to get release around the 12th of the month

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    | I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually
    check
    | about once a week.

    Most Critical Updates are released as a batch on the second Tuesday of every
    month, AKA "Patch Tuesday".

    Security Updates:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/default.mspx

    Get Notified Right Away of Important Security Updates:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/alerts.mspx

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Buffalo wrote:
    > I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually
    > check about once a week.

    These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience with
    them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on your
    head! And Bear's head!

    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    (KB883939)
    Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
    Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
    compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    restart your computer. Read more...
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-025.mspx

    Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
    Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
    A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component that
    could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-026.mspx

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I
    usually check
    | about once a week.

    The following updates have been successfully installed:
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    (KB883939)
    Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)

    (But I haven't reboot yet.)

    --
    | These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience
    with
    | them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on your
    | head! And Bear's head!
    |
    | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    | (KB883939)
    | Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
    | Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
    | compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    | restart your computer. Read more...
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-025.mspx
    |
    | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
    | Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
    | A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component that
    | could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and
    gain
    | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    | restart your computer. Read more...
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-026.mspx
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    | | I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I
    | usually check
    | | about once a week.
    | |
    | |

    Buffalo wrote:
    > I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually check
    > about once a week.

    Only 6 security updates here, no critical fixes.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian:
    http://www.wikitherian.org

    "Who needs a soul when you
    can make other people happy?"

    No problems with them - you been sleeping again?
    Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
    Web site
    Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Internet
    Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB883939) Web site
    --
    mae

    | The following updates have been successfully installed:
    | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    | (KB883939)
    | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
    |
    | (But I haven't reboot yet.)
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience
    | with
    | | them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on your
    | | head! And Bear's head!
    | |
    | | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    | | (KB883939)
    | | Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
    | | Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
    | | compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    | | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    | | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    | | restart your computer. Read more...
    | | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-025.mspx
    | |
    | | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
    | | Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
    | | A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component that
    | | could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and
    | gain
    | | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    | | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    | | restart your computer. Read more...
    | | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-026.mspx
    | |
    | |
    | | --
    | | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | should things get worse after this,
    | | PCR
    | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    | | | I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I
    | | usually check
    | | | about once a week.
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    | |

    I was wide awake all the way up to June 13! Anyway, yea, those are
    working even after the reboot now. (Really, I could almost swear I was
    there a few days ago, & they weren't offered to me!)

    --
    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    | No problems with them - you been sleeping again?
    | Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
    (KB896358)
    | Web site
    | Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
    Internet
    | Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB883939) Web site
    | --
    | mae

    | | The following updates have been successfully installed:
    | | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    | | (KB883939)
    | | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
    | |
    | | (But I haven't reboot yet.)
    | |
    | |
    | | --
    | | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | should things get worse after this,
    | | PCR
    | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | | These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience
    | | with
    | | | them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on
    your
    | | | head! And Bear's head!
    | | |
    | | | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    | | | (KB883939)
    | | | Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
    | | | Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker
    | | | compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    | | | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
    this
    | | | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have
    | | | restart your computer. Read more...
    | | | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-025.mspx
    | | |
    | | | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
    | | | Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
    | | | A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component
    that
    | | | could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system
    and
    | | gain
    | | | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
    this
    | | | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have
    | | | restart your computer. Read more...
    | | | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-026.mspx
    | | |
    | | |
    | | | --
    | | | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | | should things get worse after this,
    | | | PCR
    | | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | | "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    | | | usually check
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    | |

    PCR wrote:
    > ...(Really, I could almost swear I was
    > there a few days ago, & they weren't offered to me!)

    There were quite a few patches rolled out on the 14th and the new Windows
    Update V6 engine (as well as Microsoft Update) were also being rolled out.
    The combination of all these meant heavier-than-normal demand on the servers
    and many users weren't offered updates until Thursday or Friday, PCR.

    I don't think Win9x is being offered either V6 or Microsoft Update, but I
    could be wrong.
    --

    > I don't think Win9x is being offered either V6 or Microsoft Update, but I
    > could be wrong.

    AFAIK, Win98 does not even get offerred v5, let alone v6 :-o
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    OK, I somehow suspected as much & was only half convinced I was on a
    temporary blacklist, although I seem to get them late quite often, ask
    mae! Thanks. Anyway, yea, as Glee says, it is still...
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    ....for me in Win98SE.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | PCR wrote:
    | > ...(Really, I could almost swear I was
    | > there a few days ago, & they weren't offered to me!)
    |
    | There were quite a few patches rolled out on the 14th and the new
    Windows
    | Update V6 engine (as well as Microsoft Update) were also being rolled
    out.
    | The combination of all these meant heavier-than-normal demand on the
    servers
    | and many users weren't offered updates until Thursday or Friday, PCR.
    |
    | I don't think Win9x is being offered either V6 or Microsoft Update,
    but I
    | could be wrong.
    | --
    | ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    | MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    S'what I thought but my ol' Win98 box hasn't been connected to the 'net in
    eons. <w>

    glee wrote:

    > > I don't think Win9x is being offered either V6 or Microsoft Update, but
    > > I could be wrong.
    >
    > AFAIK, Win98 does not even get offerred v5, let alone v6 :-o

Microsoft Windows