Win98 Critical Updates

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 19, 2005 11:46:01 AM

I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually check
about once a week.

More about : win98 critical updates

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:18:27 PM

> I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually
check
> about once a week.

A better indicator may be the date of each patch file.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Updates seem to get release around the 12th of the month

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
| I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually
check
| about once a week.

June 19, 2005 6:20:44 PM

Most Critical Updates are released as a batch on the second Tuesday of every
month, AKA "Patch Tuesday".

Security Updates:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/default.msp...

Get Notified Right Away of Important Security Updates:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/alerts.mspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Buffalo wrote:
> I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually
> check about once a week.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:36:48 PM

These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience with
them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on your
head! And Bear's head!

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB883939)
Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
restart your computer. Read more...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component that
could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
restart your computer. Read more...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I
usually check
| about once a week.

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:51:41 PM

The following updates have been successfully installed:
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB883939)
Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)

(But I haven't reboot yet.)

--
| These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience
with
| them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on your
| head! And Bear's head!
|
| Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
| (KB883939)
| Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
| Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
| compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
| control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
| update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
| restart your computer. Read more...
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
|
| Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
| Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
| A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component that
| could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and
gain
| control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
| update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
| restart your computer. Read more...
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05...
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
| | I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I
| usually check
| | about once a week.
| |
| |

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:30:26 PM

Buffalo wrote:
> I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I usually check
> about once a week.

Only 6 security updates here, no critical fixes.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

"Who needs a soul when you
can make other people happy?"
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:33:21 PM

No problems with them - you been sleeping again?
Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
Web site
Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Internet
Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB883939) Web site
--
mae

news:o TELEhQdFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| The following updates have been successfully installed:
| Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
| (KB883939)
| Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
|
| (But I haven't reboot yet.)
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience
| with
| | them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on your
| | head! And Bear's head!
| |
| | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
| | (KB883939)
| | Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
| | Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
| | compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
| | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
| | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
| | restart your computer. Read more...
| | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
| |
| | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
| | Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
| | A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component that
| | could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and
| gain
| | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
| | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
| | restart your computer. Read more...
| | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05...
| |
| |
| | --
| | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | should things get worse after this,
| | PCR
| | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
| | | I just downloaded two of them, so they must be fairly recent as I
| | usually check
| | | about once a week.
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:41:38 PM

I was wide awake all the way up to June 13! Anyway, yea, those are
working even after the reboot now. (Really, I could almost swear I was
there a few days ago, & they weren't offered to me!)

--
"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| No problems with them - you been sleeping again?
| Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Security Update for Windows 98
(KB896358)
| Web site
| Successful Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
Internet
| Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB883939) Web site
| --
| mae

| news:o TELEhQdFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| | The following updates have been successfully installed:
| | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
| | (KB883939)
| | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
| |
| | (But I haven't reboot yet.)
| |
| |
| | --
| | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | should things get worse after this,
| | PCR
| | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| | | These two seem to be brand new, thanks. WELL, I hope my experience
| | with
| | | them is closer to yours than jimmer's, though, or let it be on
your
| | | head! And Bear's head!
| | |
| | | Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
| | | (KB883939)
| | | Download size: 3.0 MB, 9 minutes
| | | Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker
| | | compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
| | | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
this
| | | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have
| | | restart your computer. Read more...
| | | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
| | |
| | | Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)
| | | Download size: 496 KB, 1 minute
| | | A security issue has been identified in the HTML Help component
that
| | | could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system
and
| | gain
| | | control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
this
| | | update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have
| | | restart your computer. Read more...
| | | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05...
| | |
| | |
| | | --
| | | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | | should things get worse after this,
| | | PCR
| | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | | "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
| | | usually check
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:00:09 PM

PCR wrote:
> ...(Really, I could almost swear I was
> there a few days ago, & they weren't offered to me!)

There were quite a few patches rolled out on the 14th and the new Windows
Update V6 engine (as well as Microsoft Update) were also being rolled out.
The combination of all these meant heavier-than-normal demand on the servers
and many users weren't offered updates until Thursday or Friday, PCR.

I don't think Win9x is being offered either V6 or Microsoft Update, but I
could be wrong.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:38:09 PM

> I don't think Win9x is being offered either V6 or Microsoft Update, but I
> could be wrong.

AFAIK, Win98 does not even get offerred v5, let alone v6 :-o
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

OK, I somehow suspected as much & was only half convinced I was on a
temporary blacklist, although I seem to get them late quite often, ask
mae! Thanks. Anyway, yea, as Glee says, it is still...
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
....for me in Win98SE.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
| PCR wrote:
| > ...(Really, I could almost swear I was
| > there a few days ago, & they weren't offered to me!)
|
| There were quite a few patches rolled out on the 14th and the new
Windows
| Update V6 engine (as well as Microsoft Update) were also being rolled
out.
| The combination of all these meant heavier-than-normal demand on the
servers
| and many users weren't offered updates until Thursday or Friday, PCR.
|
| I don't think Win9x is being offered either V6 or Microsoft Update,
but I
| could be wrong.
| --
| ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:59:24 PM

S'what I thought but my ol' Win98 box hasn't been connected to the 'net in
eons. <w>

!