Win98 Critical Updt

I have Win98SE and suddenly unable to download the
KB883939 and KB896358 updates selected in the scan.
When I select install updates it stops at the
progress box and doesn't d/l anything. I have also
noticed that when I try to use the "Help and Support
link, a smaller window opens with only the above tool
bars and a 'transparent' window page. I have disabled
Zone Alarm and set all MS settings to default.
Help would be appreciated.
TIA jim

Can it be the site was particularly busy at the time? They just came in
well for me, if a bit slow at first. Try again now, perhaps emptying
your TEMP & TIF folders first...

(a) Delete the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP, after a fresh boot to be
sure there is nothing in it waiting to "complete an install".

(b) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK". These were your Temporary Internet Files,
which, since V4, has an involvement with Windows Update.

Otherwise...

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
There may be a mention of your condition there.

Is your system clock/date correct? If it is off by a lot (months),
Windows update will not work.

Here is one thing to try... Most of the following shall never return
again, and were work files, pre-V4 Windows Update:

(a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
(b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
(c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
(d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
"iuhist.xml" file.

Try the other measures in this URL...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585
WINUP: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not
Update Successfully" Error Message When You Visit the Windows Update Web
Site

Here's another one...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243787
WINUP: Error Message: Cannot Display Page

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"jimmer" <jimmer@provide.net> wrote in message
| I have Win98SE and suddenly unable to download the
| KB883939 and KB896358 updates selected in the scan.
| When I select install updates it stops at the
| progress box and doesn't d/l anything. I have also
| noticed that when I try to use the "Help and Support
| link, a smaller window opens with only the above tool
| bars and a 'transparent' window page. I have disabled
| Zone Alarm and set all MS settings to default.
| Help would be appreciated.
| TIA jim

To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
and all other running processes closed before installing anything, including
Windows Updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

jimmer wrote:
> I have Win98SE and suddenly unable to download the
> KB883939 and KB896358 updates selected in the scan.
> When I select install updates it stops at the
> progress box and doesn't d/l anything. I have also
> noticed that when I try to use the "Help and Support
> link, a smaller window opens with only the above tool
> bars and a 'transparent' window page. I have disabled
> Zone Alarm and set all MS settings to default.
> Help would be appreciated.
> TIA jim

lee

'Download hangs' is a searchable term at
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

2 solutions running about 50/50 are mcrepair and reinstall the latest
5.6 Windows Scripting Host package. Read the InstallShield site as if
you had RPC stub problems.
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105810

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en

jimmer wrote:

> I have Win98SE and suddenly unable to download the
> KB883939 and KB896358 updates selected in the scan.
> When I select install updates it stops at the
> progress box and doesn't d/l anything. I have also
> noticed that when I try to use the "Help and Support
> link, a smaller window opens with only the above tool
> bars and a 'transparent' window page. I have disabled
> Zone Alarm and set all MS settings to default.
> Help would be appreciated.
> TIA jim

"PCR" PA Bear and Lee
Thanks for all your info's. I made the corrections as described
in your replies .... everything was okay. This is the first time
that I have experienced the Winupdate site to operate extremely
slow. I have tried downloading 4-5 times per day since 14th Jun,
and didn't detect any download activity after 5 minutes, and
assumed something was wrong with my box. Not so. Last night I
used my ISP meter and watched the extremely slow d/l process for
2 hours .... Then my ISP clicked me off! Just a matter of waiting
for a better time to d/l. Thanks again. Jim

You are welcome. Glad to hear it. I guess it was mae getting hers when
you first tried. Or Bear! I was asleep!