1 no PSU cover, 2 mod.add 120mm fan, 3 getting Phantom500

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Note- this thread went thru changes... first idea was to remove the cover of my PSU. Then for safety reasons, the idea was changed to cutting holes in the PSU cover to add a 120mm fan, then for safety reasons again (EMI, electrucution, etc) i bought an ANtec Phantom 500. I'll share some pics of it and my system in my site page ... http://helpusall.com/computer.html

i have an OCZ PowerStream 520.

it's fans are currently the loudest parts in my computer, so i want to quiet them. :wink:

i thought of removing the top cover on the PSU, so the heat can dissipate easier. The two 92mm fans could be removed and a single slow 120mm fan added to handle the heat. I'd have the PSU in a wooden case open at the top, and separated by wood from all other components.

Aside from risks of electrocution 8O , voiding the warranty, or the obvious chance of causing damage... are there any ideas about this?

has it been done before?
is there electrical radiation harmful to be near? interference with the mobo/drives/etc?
:?:

thanks ..

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
the OCZ stock fans on that PSU are already really quiet, but it's possible i could find quieter 92mm's.

I'm really wanting to drop the sound to Silent, by using a 120mm on low rpm, and figure having the top cover off would help A Lot.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yes I would worry about electroshocking yourself... also PS's can get quite hot I dont think I would go with wood, I know wood is awsome in its sound damping ability but it also tends to hold in heat. The idea about replaceing your fans with a larger slower moving move is a sound idea ! (might try this myself) I wish you best of luck ! and let us know how you do :)

PS I think a wood computer case with some dremel carved stuff would look awesome !

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006

yes, i'm planning to have the cpu in a separate section of the wood case, with the top of that section open to the room.

My main questions are if i might be harmed by any EM radiation? and if the other components might be? I doubt the componenats are at risk, because the 5/8" thick wood separating them should be enough shielding. So I'm mostly curious how the radiation will affect me, 4 feet away.

Actually I just build my system yesterday, so i can share some photos i already have..photos

Don't worry about radiation. I'd be worried about electrocution or....something getting into th exposed PSU. Have you measured temps in the case/PSU? You could try undervolting the fans if there are no major heat issues. Your best bet would be to go to a quieter PSU - a Seasonic S12 series. If you haven't voided your warranties, then you could probably get a decent amount of cash for that PSU.

linux_0

Splendid
i have an OCZ PowerStream 520.

it's fans are currently the loudest parts in my computer, so i want to quiet them. :wink:

i thought of removing the top cover on the PSU, so the heat can dissipate easier. The two 92mm fans could be removed and a single slow 120mm fan added to handle the heat. I'd have the PSU in a wooden case open at the top, and separated by wood from all other components.

Aside from risks of electrocution 8O , voiding the warranty, or the obvious chance of causing damage... are there any ideas about this?

has it been done before?
is there electrical radiation harmful to be near? interference with the mobo/drives/etc?
:?:

thanks ..

I would recommend against this.

Wood does not provide EM shielding.

But shielding aside it is not a good idea.

You would be better off purchasing new 92mm fans or modifying the existing fans to draw less voltage ( you can just use Potentiometers ).

You may also be able to dremel the metal cover to accept a 120mm fan.

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
it seems most of you are saying not to do it. why are you thinking not to? ... risk of electrocution? risk of PSU/computer short/damage?

thanks for all the feedback so far.. :D

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
well i see a few reasons

EM radiation.

Risk of something falling/spilling into your PSU which may/maynot cause your system if not your whole house to fry.

and finally you void the warranty on the PSU if u open it

linux_0

Splendid
it seems most of you are saying not to do it. why are you thinking not to? ... risk of electrocution? risk of PSU/computer short/damage?

thanks for all the feedback so far.. :D

This is not an exhaustive list:

0. risk of electrocution

1. risk of PSU/computer short/damage

2. lack of shielding

3. lack of grounding ( the case is supposed to be grounded )

4. the metal case provides protection in the event a component explodes or catches fire

5. wood is a lot more flammable than metal ( some metals do burn under the right conditions )

6. the metal cage is there to keep shrapnel in as well as keep foreign objects, fingers, critters and bugs OUT. You do not want any bugs, children or animals to be able to get into your power supply

7. provides protection against arcing

8. the cage helps dissipate heat, it acts as a passive heatsink

9. the cage helps create a localized wind-tunnel to provide good airflow and help cool the PSU components

10. modifying the PSU in the way you propose violates electrical codes and standards in most countries

11. should the modified PSU cause a fire, injuries, death or serious damage to people, property or animals you will be liable.

12. a lot more I'm forgetting about

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
thank you! specifics :)

there are some items that i need to learn more about... i want to see if i can resolve the issues..
(deleted)

ADD - okay, i decided not to do this. Thank You for everyone's thoughts, especially linux_0 for sharing cautions in depth. i actually almost electrocuted myself a few months ago, by an un-smart grounding cord 8O kind of sobers me to think about it

hmm, the idea that electrocution is possible deserves attention. risk of bodily death is a pretty big risk. even if the chances are slim, all it requires is me to slip or make an accident and it could be very Real.

Okay, i'm changing this idea into cutting a hole in the top for a 120mm fan, and using the cover. The heat won't dissipate as efficiently, but it will help me keep my soul in my body.

linux_0

Splendid
thank you! specifics :)

there are some items that i need to learn more about... i want to see if i can resolve the issues..
(deleted)

ADD - okay, i decided not to do this. Thank You for everyone's thoughts, especially linux_0 for sharing cautions in depth. i actually almost electrocuted myself a few months ago, by an un-smart grounding cord 8O kind of sobers me to think about it

hmm, the idea that electrocution is possible deserves attention. risk of bodily death is a pretty big risk. even if the chances are slim, all it requires is me to slip or make an accident and it could be very Real.

Okay, i'm changing this idea into cutting a hole in the top for a 120mm fan, and using the cover. The heat won't dissipate as efficiently, but it will help me keep my soul in my body.

Wise choice.

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/120K-Linear-Taper-Potentiometer_W0QQitemZ3862115198QQcategoryZ58164QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

can help keep the noise down and allow you to throttle the fan ( s ).

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
thanks. that's sure a lot cheaper than a "fan speed controller" labeled as such. Will that one function fine? i'm slightly new to electronics so not sure about compatibilities

Since i'm not going non-cover, the new set-up has the PSU right next to the hard drives. Are there any electrical or magnetic interference issues with this?

...i'll post pics of my system being built. i already have the first section of the process http://helpusall.com/computer.html

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
10. modifying the PSU in the way you propose violates electrical codes and standards in most countries

lmao, that reason is enough for me

I got some humor in that too... but really the codes and standards are likely related to safety and fire issues, so they can be helpful ideas to think about

I saw a post elsewhere of someone thinking about messing with the PSU. He said "I'll post pics after I'm done, and if i die my friend will post pics of the funeral. we put the FUN in funeral"

If I can dremel the case well, it should even look nice, but i'm 99.9999999999999999999999% focused only on the function, not the looks.

linux_0

Splendid

lmao, that reason is enough for me

I got some humor in that too... but really the codes and standards are likely related to safety and fire issues, so they can be helpful ideas to think about

I saw a post elsewhere of someone thinking about messing with the PSU. He said "I'll post pics after I'm done, and if i die my friend will post pics of the funeral. we put the FUN in funeral"

If I can dremel the case well, it should even look nice, but i'm 99.9999999999999999999999% focused only on the function, not the looks.

lmao.gif

In all seriousness this is not a laughing matter.

Good luck with your mod and make sure you dremel the cover very carefully.

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
putting the cpu and psu in a case, means more heat build-up, and louder fans to remove that heat. my ears are sensitive and i want a computer that i can't hear. I figure that if the CPU/cnps9500 can be cooled with a fan running silent, then the PSU likely can too.

a neat idea is to attach a Scythe Ninja onto the PSU heatsinks, to really make the cooling more efficient, but a silent 120mm seems easier.

buying something and just using it is Nowhere as fulfilling as being a co-creator :D

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
at the time i bought the PSU, i decided on the OCZ because of the adjustable rails, and I believed it would be 'silent' Since then, i've learned that people mean different things when they say 'silent' To me 'silent' means when it can't be heard, when there are no other sounds around.

jonjan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
why didnt u buy the Antec Phantom 500?, fanless, and if that was a problem get 2, much safer

After thinking about the EMI and the safety certifications, and the thickness of the psu cover...I have to admit I really have no idea what mods would be safe. I'd need to have electrical wisdom to start to have an idea of what is safe to mod on a 520watt PSU.

I just ordered the Antec Phantom 500 :D :D thanks for this suggestion to get me thinking...

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
why didnt u buy the Antec Phantom 500?, fanless, and if that was a problem get 2, much safer

After thinking about the EMI and the safety certifications, and the thickness of the psu cover...I have to admit I really have no idea what mods would be safe. I'd need to have electrical wisdom to start to have an idea of what is safe to mod on a 520watt PSU.

I just ordered the Antec Phantom 500 :D :D thanks for this suggestion to get me thinking...

if u need more power get a 2nd phantom or get the thermaltake 350w fanless