Scandisk Error

I restored a ghosted copy of win98se which I have used before. I ran
scandisk and defrag and both worked fine. I next tried unsuccessfully to
install Ahead Nero, a couple of times. After a reboot when I ran scandisk I
got the following error:-

This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table. The
copies should be identical but aren't.

I select repair.

It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...

Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the same
results repeated.

Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
Any Help appreciated

More about scandisk error

    That could be normal under the circumstance of a crashed install. I had
    a crash (of NetZero I think) that did the same. Well, in my case, well,
    I don't think I ran Scandisk twice in a row, though, to see whether the
    errors would repeat.

    I guess... restore your ghost, & run Scandisk. Is it OK? Then, it's the
    crash doing it.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    joe wrote:
    > This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table. The
    > copies should be identical but aren't.
    >
    > I select repair.
    >
    > It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
    >
    > Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the same
    > results repeated.
    >
    > Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
    > Any Help appreciated

    I can't immagine how this could be related to a failed Nero install. It
    is most likely something wrong with your harddrive. It could also be a
    problem with your system memory.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian:
    http://www.wikitherian.org

    "...and while mathematics may call itself
    infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
    will never make that terrible mistake!"

    Thanx for the reply Jure.
    Excuse my ignorance ( that is why I am here :) ) but when you say system
    memory do you refer to a possible faulty RAM module?

    Also do you know if there is software available to test these hardware
    components, RAM amd HDD ?
    "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
    > joe wrote:
    > > This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table. The
    > > copies should be identical but aren't.
    > >
    > > I select repair.
    > >
    > > It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
    > >
    > > Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the same
    > > results repeated.
    > >
    > > Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
    > > Any Help appreciated
    >
    > I can't immagine how this could be related to a failed Nero install. It
    > is most likely something wrong with your harddrive. It could also be a
    > problem with your system memory.
    >
    > --
    > Model: INFJ
    > Primary function: Coprocessor
    > Secondary function: Cluster commander
    >
    > Yes I'm a therian:
    > http://www.wikitherian.org
    >
    > "...and while mathematics may call itself
    > infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
    > will never make that terrible mistake!"

    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
    http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

    ........Quote.......
    You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
    the computer.

    If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
    limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

    When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
    edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
    then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

    The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
    working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
    extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

    Download and Use Instructions:
    http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

    Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

    OnTrack Data Advisor:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
    IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
    http://support.wdc.com/download/
    Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
    Seagate SeaTools:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
    Download:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    | Thanx for the reply Jure.
    | Excuse my ignorance ( that is why I am here :) ) but when you say
    system
    | memory do you refer to a possible faulty RAM module?
    |
    | Also do you know if there is software available to test these hardware
    | components, RAM amd HDD ?
    | "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
    | > joe wrote:
    | > > This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation
    table. The
    | > > copies should be identical but aren't.
    | > >
    | > > I select repair.
    | > >
    | > > It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
    | > >
    | > > Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get
    the same
    | > > results repeated.
    | > >
    | > > Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
    | > > Any Help appreciated
    | >
    | > I can't immagine how this could be related to a failed Nero install.
    It
    | > is most likely something wrong with your harddrive. It could also be
    | > problem with your system memory.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Model: INFJ
    | > Primary function: Coprocessor
    | > Secondary function: Cluster commander
    | >
    | > Yes I'm a therian:
    | > http://www.wikitherian.org
    | >
    | > "...and while mathematics may call itself
    | > infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
    | > will never make that terrible mistake!"

    Thanx everyone for your help

    Well diagnosed Jure. I have been having all kinds of funny problems and kept
    blaming them on software issues. Surprise , surprise I had a faulty RAM
    module. Shown up by Microsoft's own RAM tester. It works like a charm. One
    up for Microsoft.

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:32:29 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >That could be normal under the circumstance of a crashed install.

    Quite rare, and a sign of a deeply baaaaaad install. I'd never give
    such software a second chance. Having done a lot of Nero for years, I
    can say it doesn't sound like a Nero thing.

    What were the circumstances that prompted you to restore the imaged
    Win9x installation?

    I'd start by removing the HD to protect data, then visually check the
    motherboard for bad capacitors, failed fans, and dusted-up heatsinks.

    Then I'd run a RAM diagnostic overnight; my first choice would be
    MemTest86, then SIMMTester, both of which are free downloads that
    build a bootable CDR or 1.44M that runs the tests. ANY errors on
    these tests would be a stop-the-clock heads-up to replace the RAM, cut
    back on overclocking etc. until the problem is gone!

    Now, for the first time, I'd reconnect the HD and run vendor's diags
    on that. Once again, any physical errors = replace the device.

    See http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x section on FATxx data recovery for more
    on how to assess this, if interested. For example, bad RAM might
    cause completely random garbage to be thrown into the File Allocation
    Tables, corrupting them horribly, when the memory location holding the
    raw disk address to write to flips a high-order bit from 1 to 0.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    Right, as Joe said, it turned out to be bad RAM for him. Good to see he
    is fixed. Good work, you & Jure Sah. In my case, I had two Scandisk's
    that looked rather bad, but haven't seen the like in months. NetZero
    will occasionally freeze/crash at boot. (Well, it always freezes
    momentarily at boot, but occasionally crashes.) Normally, one lost
    cluster is involved & perhaps a size problem in one of NetZero's files.
    I think these following two involved something else going on-- perhaps
    an update or install-- at the same time as the NetZero crash. NetZero
    itself does do stealth updates, as an occasional SFC will show. Anyway,
    my RAM looks fine, thanks.

    ......Quote...........
    Log file generated at 12:20PM on Saturday, April 02, 2005.
    ScanDisk checked drive C for problems, with the following results:

    Directory structure
    Directory entry C:\P C R H.ARD contained invalid characters in its
    filename.
    ScanDisk deleted the directory entry.

    File allocation table
    ScanDisk did not find any problems.

    File system
    There were 25 lost clusters in one chain.
    ScanDisk saved the lost cluster chain as a file.

    Surface scan
    ScanDisk did not perform any tests.
    *******************

    Microsoft ScanDisk
    Log file generated at 02:19PM on Tuesday, April 12, 2005.
    ScanDisk checked drive C for problems, with the following results:

    Directory structure
    Directory entry C:\P C R H.ARD contained invalid characters in its
    filename.
    ScanDisk deleted the directory entry.

    File allocation table
    ScanDisk did not find any problems.

    File system
    There were 115 lost clusters in 2 chains.
    ScanDisk saved the chains of lost clusters as files.

    Surface scan
    ScanDisk did not perform any tests.
    *******************
    ........EOQ...............

    --
    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
    in message news:gqjgb1turgt43ok6al416mct7pggqsbr1g@4ax.com...

    PCR wrote:
    > In my case, I had two Scandisk's
    > that looked rather bad, but haven't seen the like in months. NetZero
    > will occasionally freeze/crash at boot. (Well, it always freezes
    > momentarily at boot, but occasionally crashes.) Normally, one lost
    > cluster is involved & perhaps a size problem in one of NetZero's files.
    > I think these following two involved something else going on-- perhaps
    > an update or install-- at the same time as the NetZero crash. NetZero
    > itself does do stealth updates, as an occasional SFC will show. Anyway,
    > my RAM looks fine, thanks.

    Thos scan disk logs look like your software managed to create some files
    that DOS generally does not like. Scandisk fixes this by removing the
    file, but not it's associated contens, which is where the lost disk
    clusters come from.

    This is quite possible in a DOS-based environment, since any program can
    use DOS's own routines to create a file, which's name cannot be spelled
    out on the command prompt or used by Windows Explorer. The files
    themselves are okay and the program could probably use them fine, but
    since the files cannot be accessed from the command prompt or from
    Windows Explorer, etc, Scandisk deletes them.

    For my example, I have a EZ-NOS server running on DOS of course and it
    is possible to upload files with spaces in their names to it and work
    with them fine, but when I use scandisk it deletes all those files and
    does the lost clusters thing with all the data contained in those files
    like in your log.

    In joe's case however, there was no mention of invalid filenames and if
    something is fixed and then gives you exactly the same result the next
    time round, it indicates a problem somewhere else. I just happened to
    remember those scandisk problems when I worked with a Cyrix processor
    that had a dead BIOS battery and it had activated a power saving feature
    (Intel BIOS defaults) that Cyrix does not support and the procesor's
    internal memory was killed in the process... it was a memory related
    topic so I suggested checking the RAM.