Scandisk Error

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 20, 2005 7:45:17 PM

I restored a ghosted copy of win98se which I have used before. I ran
scandisk and defrag and both worked fine. I next tried unsuccessfully to
install Ahead Nero, a couple of times. After a reboot when I ran scandisk I
got the following error:-

This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table. The
copies should be identical but aren't.

I select repair.

It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...

Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the same
results repeated.

Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
Any Help appreciated

More about : scandisk error

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:32:29 PM

That could be normal under the circumstance of a crashed install. I had
a crash (of NetZero I think) that did the same. Well, in my case, well,
I don't think I ran Scandisk twice in a row, though, to see whether the
errors would repeat.

I guess... restore your ghost, & run Scandisk. Is it OK? Then, it's the
crash doing it.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"joe" <joe@web.com> wrote in message
news:D 96h9f$4m9$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
| I restored a ghosted copy of win98se which I have used before. I ran
| scandisk and defrag and both worked fine. I next tried unsuccessfully
| install Ahead Nero, a couple of times. After a reboot when I ran
scandisk I
| got the following error:-
|
| This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table.
The
| copies should be identical but aren't.
|
| I select repair.
|
| It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
|
| Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the
same
| results repeated.
|
| Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
| Any Help appreciated

June 20, 2005 11:29:34 PM

joe wrote:
> This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table. The
> copies should be identical but aren't.
>
> I select repair.
>
> It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
>
> Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the same
> results repeated.
>
> Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
> Any Help appreciated

I can't immagine how this could be related to a failed Nero install. It
is most likely something wrong with your harddrive. It could also be a
problem with your system memory.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

"...and while mathematics may call itself
infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
will never make that terrible mistake!"
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 21, 2005 2:47:04 AM

Thanx for the reply Jure.
Excuse my ignorance ( that is why I am here :)  ) but when you say system
memory do you refer to a possible faulty RAM module?

Also do you know if there is software available to test these hardware
components, RAM amd HDD ?
"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> joe wrote:
> > This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table. The
> > copies should be identical but aren't.
> >
> > I select repair.
> >
> > It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
> >
> > Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the same
> > results repeated.
> >
> > Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
> > Any Help appreciated
>
> I can't immagine how this could be related to a failed Nero install. It
> is most likely something wrong with your harddrive. It could also be a
> problem with your system memory.
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> Yes I'm a therian:
> http://www.wikitherian.org
>
> "...and while mathematics may call itself
> infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
> will never make that terrible mistake!"
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:47:05 AM

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

........Quote.......
You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
the computer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.ht...
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
news:D 97a0d$ab6$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
| Thanx for the reply Jure.
| Excuse my ignorance ( that is why I am here :)  ) but when you say
system
| memory do you refer to a possible faulty RAM module?
|
| Also do you know if there is software available to test these hardware
| components, RAM amd HDD ?
| "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
| > joe wrote:
| > > This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation
table. The
| > > copies should be identical but aren't.
| > >
| > > I select repair.
| > >
| > > It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
| > >
| > > Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get
the same
| > > results repeated.
| > >
| > > Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
| > > Any Help appreciated
| >
| > I can't immagine how this could be related to a failed Nero install.
It
| > is most likely something wrong with your harddrive. It could also be
| > problem with your system memory.
| >
| > --
| > Model: INFJ
| > Primary function: Coprocessor
| > Secondary function: Cluster commander
| >
| > Yes I'm a therian:
| > http://www.wikitherian.org
| >
| > "...and while mathematics may call itself
| > infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
| > will never make that terrible mistake!"

June 21, 2005 9:04:40 PM

Thanx everyone for your help

Well diagnosed Jure. I have been having all kinds of funny problems and kept
blaming them on software issues. Surprise , surprise I had a faulty RAM
module. Shown up by Microsoft's own RAM tester. It works like a charm. One
up for Microsoft.

> That could be normal under the circumstance of a crashed install. I had
> a crash (of NetZero I think) that did the same. Well, in my case, well,
> I don't think I ran Scandisk twice in a row, though, to see whether the
> errors would repeat.
>
> I guess... restore your ghost, & run Scandisk. Is it OK? Then, it's the
> crash doing it.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "joe" <joe@web.com> wrote in message
> news:D 96h9f$4m9$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> | I restored a ghosted copy of win98se which I have used before. I ran
> | scandisk and defrag and both worked fine. I next tried unsuccessfully
> | install Ahead Nero, a couple of times. After a reboot when I ran
> scandisk I
> | got the following error:-
> |
> | This drive contains one or more copies of the file allocation table.
> The
> | copies should be identical but aren't.
> |
> | I select repair.
> |
> | It then says it has found 108 lost file fragments etc...
> |
> | Which ever option I choose, when you run scandisk again you get the
> same
> | results repeated.
> |
> | Is it connected to the failed Nero install maybe ?
> | Any Help appreciated

June 21, 2005 11:59:17 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:32:29 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>That could be normal under the circumstance of a crashed install.

Quite rare, and a sign of a deeply baaaaaad install. I'd never give
such software a second chance. Having done a lot of Nero for years, I
can say it doesn't sound like a Nero thing.

What were the circumstances that prompted you to restore the imaged
Win9x installation?

I'd start by removing the HD to protect data, then visually check the
motherboard for bad capacitors, failed fans, and dusted-up heatsinks.

Then I'd run a RAM diagnostic overnight; my first choice would be
MemTest86, then SIMMTester, both of which are free downloads that
build a bootable CDR or 1.44M that runs the tests. ANY errors on
these tests would be a stop-the-clock heads-up to replace the RAM, cut
back on overclocking etc. until the problem is gone!

Now, for the first time, I'd reconnect the HD and run vendor's diags
on that. Once again, any physical errors = replace the device.

See http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x section on FATxx data recovery for more
on how to assess this, if interested. For example, bad RAM might
cause completely random garbage to be thrown into the File Allocation
Tables, corrupting them horribly, when the memory location holding the
raw disk address to write to flips a high-order bit from 1 to 0.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
June 21, 2005 11:59:18 PM

Right, as Joe said, it turned out to be bad RAM for him. Good to see he
is fixed. Good work, you & Jure Sah. In my case, I had two Scandisk's
that looked rather bad, but haven't seen the like in months. NetZero
will occasionally freeze/crash at boot. (Well, it always freezes
momentarily at boot, but occasionally crashes.) Normally, one lost
cluster is involved & perhaps a size problem in one of NetZero's files.
I think these following two involved something else going on-- perhaps
an update or install-- at the same time as the NetZero crash. NetZero
itself does do stealth updates, as an occasional SFC will show. Anyway,
my RAM looks fine, thanks.

......Quote...........
Log file generated at 12:20PM on Saturday, April 02, 2005.
ScanDisk checked drive C for problems, with the following results:

Directory structure
Directory entry C:\P C R H.ARD contained invalid characters in its
filename.
ScanDisk deleted the directory entry.

File allocation table
ScanDisk did not find any problems.

File system
There were 25 lost clusters in one chain.
ScanDisk saved the lost cluster chain as a file.

Surface scan
ScanDisk did not perform any tests.
*******************

Microsoft ScanDisk
Log file generated at 02:19PM on Tuesday, April 12, 2005.
ScanDisk checked drive C for problems, with the following results:

Directory structure
Directory entry C:\P C R H.ARD contained invalid characters in its
filename.
ScanDisk deleted the directory entry.

File allocation table
ScanDisk did not find any problems.

File system
There were 115 lost clusters in 2 chains.
ScanDisk saved the chains of lost clusters as files.

Surface scan
ScanDisk did not perform any tests.
*******************
........EOQ...............

--
"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
in message news:gqjgb1turgt43ok6al416mct7pggqsbr1g@4ax.com...
| On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:32:29 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >That could be normal under the circumstance of a crashed install.
|
| Quite rare, and a sign of a deeply baaaaaad install. I'd never give
| such software a second chance. Having done a lot of Nero for years, I
| can say it doesn't sound like a Nero thing.
|
| What were the circumstances that prompted you to restore the imaged
| Win9x installation?
|
| I'd start by removing the HD to protect data, then visually check the
| motherboard for bad capacitors, failed fans, and dusted-up heatsinks.
|
| Then I'd run a RAM diagnostic overnight; my first choice would be
| MemTest86, then SIMMTester, both of which are free downloads that
| build a bootable CDR or 1.44M that runs the tests. ANY errors on
| these tests would be a stop-the-clock heads-up to replace the RAM, cut
| back on overclocking etc. until the problem is gone!
|
| Now, for the first time, I'd reconnect the HD and run vendor's diags
| on that. Once again, any physical errors = replace the device.
|
| See http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x section on FATxx data recovery for more
| on how to assess this, if interested. For example, bad RAM might
| cause completely random garbage to be thrown into the File Allocation
| Tables, corrupting them horribly, when the memory location holding the
| raw disk address to write to flips a high-order bit from 1 to 0.
|

| >------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
| Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
| better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
| >------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:08:20 AM

PCR wrote:
> In my case, I had two Scandisk's
> that looked rather bad, but haven't seen the like in months. NetZero
> will occasionally freeze/crash at boot. (Well, it always freezes
> momentarily at boot, but occasionally crashes.) Normally, one lost
> cluster is involved & perhaps a size problem in one of NetZero's files.
> I think these following two involved something else going on-- perhaps
> an update or install-- at the same time as the NetZero crash. NetZero
> itself does do stealth updates, as an occasional SFC will show. Anyway,
> my RAM looks fine, thanks.

Thos scan disk logs look like your software managed to create some files
that DOS generally does not like. Scandisk fixes this by removing the
file, but not it's associated contens, which is where the lost disk
clusters come from.

This is quite possible in a DOS-based environment, since any program can
use DOS's own routines to create a file, which's name cannot be spelled
out on the command prompt or used by Windows Explorer. The files
themselves are okay and the program could probably use them fine, but
since the files cannot be accessed from the command prompt or from
Windows Explorer, etc, Scandisk deletes them.

For my example, I have a EZ-NOS server running on DOS of course and it
is possible to upload files with spaces in their names to it and work
with them fine, but when I use scandisk it deletes all those files and
does the lost clusters thing with all the data contained in those files
like in your log.

In joe's case however, there was no mention of invalid filenames and if
something is fixed and then gives you exactly the same result the next
time round, it indicates a problem somewhere else. I just happened to
remember those scandisk problems when I worked with a Cyrix processor
that had a dead BIOS battery and it had activated a power saving feature
(Intel BIOS defaults) that Cyrix does not support and the procesor's
internal memory was killed in the process... it was a memory related
topic so I suggested checking the RAM.