Win98 reinstall

Hi, I'm looking for a way to reinstall Win98 over itself and keep most
settings, applications, drivers, etc.

>From what I can tell, running setup again (and choosing yes when asked
*if you want to reinstall Windows 98 over your current operating
system* and if you want to save existing system files) basically
reinstalls Win98 over itself.

But will I have to reinstall applications, printers, etc.? Or will it
keep the settings?

And is there any difference for Win98 SE?

Thanks so much!
Kate
4 answers Last reply
More about win98 reinstall

    Thanks for your reply!

    We have some old Wi98 computers which aren't running well. It's not
    worth the time to reinstall everything from scratch.

    Do you think reinstalling over would be pointless?

    <almedastar@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm looking for a way to reinstall Win98 over itself and keep most
    > settings, applications, drivers, etc.
    >
    > >From what I can tell, running setup again (and choosing yes when asked
    > *if you want to reinstall Windows 98 over your current operating
    > system* and if you want to save existing system files) basically
    > reinstalls Win98 over itself.
    >
    > But will I have to reinstall applications, printers, etc.? Or will it
    > keep the settings?
    >
    > And is there any difference for Win98 SE?

    1. No practical differences in Win98SE

    2. Study the project e.g. at
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
    You need to check beforehand that you have the Product
    Key written down, the DOS floppy enables everything
    you need etc. etc.

    3. Why do you need to reinstal at all? Keeping current
    installations means keeping the current Registry -- so if
    your main problem is in the Registry it will persist.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    > Thanks for your reply!
    >
    > We have some old Wi98 computers which aren't running well. It's not
    > worth the time to reinstall everything from scratch.
    >
    > Do you think reinstalling over would be pointless?

    Yes, especially when you don't specify what any issues are on why they "aren't
    running well".

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    almedastar@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for a way to reinstall Win98 over itself and keep most
    > settings, applications, drivers, etc.

    So what's the point in reinstalling then?

    You can save your settings, applications, etc, by not deleting anything
    and exporting your registry to a file using regedit. When you reinstall,
    doubleclick the exported file and the settings will be back. However
    you will have to first install all operating system updates or this may
    not work or have unpredictable side-effects.

    Good luck.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian:
    http://www.wikitherian.org

    "...and while mathematics may call itself
    infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
    will never make that terrible mistake!"

Microsoft Windows