Computer OK in the morning?

gavin

My 98 system has generally become quite fragile particularly when i enter a
website football365.com At this point the system will mostly but not always
crash. (I presume they are running some particularly stupid applets for
their advertisers).

However last night, I could only access windows through safe mode - i tried
endlessly getting back into normal mode windows - until i'd turned
everything off in the start-up file. Still no luck. System crashed
somewhere betwwen the windows' log-on window and reaching the point you can
do some work on the system.

This morning i turn the computer on, and although i have not pushed the
system, it is running fine.

Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? As far as i'm aware the
computer wasn't overheating which is the only explanation i can think of.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards.
Gavin

"Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> My 98 system has generally become quite fragile particularly when i enter
> website football365.com At this point the system will mostly but not
always
> crash. (I presume they are running some particularly stupid applets for
> their advertisers).
>
> However last night, I could only access windows through safe mode - i
tried
> endlessly getting back into normal mode windows - until i'd turned
> everything off in the start-up file. Still no luck. System crashed
> somewhere betwwen the windows' log-on window and reaching the point you
can
> do some work on the system.
>
> This morning i turn the computer on, and although i have not pushed the
> system, it is running fine.
>
> Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? As far as i'm aware the
> computer wasn't overheating which is the only explanation i can think of.

We cannot say much since you provided too little data.
1. What housekeeping do you do? E.g. how often do
you back up data files, run ScanDisk, Defrag, delete
junk in \temp\ folders, \Temporary Internet Files\ and
so on.
2. How do you protect yourself against malware?
3. When you had trouble booting, what did you try?
What happened to a DOS boot and
SCANREG /RESTORE
?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23Bm%236kadFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Gavin <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> My 98 system has generally become quite fragile particularly when i
> enter a website football365.com At this point the system will mostly
> but not always crash. (I presume they are running some particularly
> stupid applets for their advertisers).

I just clicked a bunch of pages on the site. (I have lots of protection and
if there was a problem it *should* have warned me.) I did so on XP with a
test box. I don't have a 98 test box handy at the moment but the results
should have been pretty much the same meaning that if there was anything
being loaded that I'd have probably been given a warning from KAV or MSAS. I
then scanned for any problems and didn't find anything at all. The drive had
been cloned so that it's completely up to date with a pretty much naked
install using only security software and the Windows updates. (It's isolated
on it's own network connection as well.) Just to make sure that there
weren't any further complications I made sure to turn off the firewall as
well for this test and I haven't SEEN anything from that site in question.

One thing I did notice was that some of the links from the site may be some
shady sites. There's one that goes to a gambling site. I've never seen nor
heard of anything from that particular site causing problems but gambling
site owners have been known to be less than respectable in the past. I don't
have any UK funds so I didn't join the site to test that one for you but if
that's something that you've been doing while you're there that may be the
cause of the problem.

All in all I didn't notice anything. I spent about 20 minutes or so clicking
around there, I then scanned for anything problematic and found nothing.
Perhaps, your problems lie elsewhere or are coming from another angle and
not from the site itself? A good cleanup could help.

You can't use Microsoft's AntiSpyware beta because you're using 98 but there
are additional tools here that you can use to scan your PC for malware:

Malware Cleaning :
http://www.kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Note that that page assumes that you're using XP and you're not so the MSAS
will not work for you nor will have to select the option of safe mode
without networking.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Gavin wrote:
> My 98 system has generally become quite fragile particularly when i enter a
> website football365.com At this point the system will mostly but not always
> crash. (I presume they are running some particularly stupid applets for
> their advertisers).

I'd suggest using FireFox to visit the website.

> However last night, I could only access windows through safe mode - i tried
> endlessly getting back into normal mode windows - until i'd turned
> everything off in the start-up file. Still no luck. System crashed
> somewhere betwwen the windows' log-on window and reaching the point you can
> do some work on the system.
>
> This morning i turn the computer on, and although i have not pushed the
> system, it is running fine.
>
> Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? As far as i'm aware the
> computer wasn't overheating which is the only explanation i can think of.

It could be a virus not designed for Windows 98 or something that
activates at a particular time and crashes. Try checking your system for
viruses using something reliable (the PandaSoft online scanner is a
practical solution if you don't want to install anything just to check).

Good luck.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

"...and while mathematics may call itself
infinitely precise, computers, believe me,
will never make that terrible mistake!"

gavin

Underneath is the regular fault generated by IE6. I have attempted
previously to turn flash off by re-naming the swflash.ocx file, but this
didn't stop the problem.

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module FLASH.OCX at 015f:04223502.
Registers:
EAX=00000002 CS=015f EIP=04223502 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=023bf668 EBP=023bf684
ECX=000000aa DS=0167 ESI=0323fe38 FS=672f
EDX=00000001 ES=0167 EDI=04f25570 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 01 ff 50 7c 89 1e 5e 5b c3 55 8b ec 51 56 8b
Stack dump:
0323fd8c 00000000 0421aa2e 04f25570 0323f090 0323f14c 04f25570 023bf6b0
0421ad45 0323f090 04f24fc0 00000000 00000001 0323fdb0 0323fd8c 00000001

Returning to the points made by Don Phillipson. I regularly defrag, scan
disk, anti-virus is regularly checked with trendmicro. I have run
CWshredder over the system and no malware.

I have un-installed and re-installed admittedly not all but most of the
software i use, and tried the system without them, but to no avail.

I do think this error message is probably the key to it though.

Cheers
Gavin

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > My 98 system has generally become quite fragile particularly when i
enter
> > website football365.com At this point the system will mostly but not
> always
> > crash. (I presume they are running some particularly stupid applets for
> > their advertisers).
> >
> > However last night, I could only access windows through safe mode - i
> tried
> > endlessly getting back into normal mode windows - until i'd turned
> > everything off in the start-up file. Still no luck. System crashed
> > somewhere betwwen the windows' log-on window and reaching the point you
> can
> > do some work on the system.
> >
> > This morning i turn the computer on, and although i have not pushed the
> > system, it is running fine.
> >
> > Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? As far as i'm aware the
> > computer wasn't overheating which is the only explanation i can think
of.

> We cannot say much since you provided too little data.
> 1. What housekeeping do you do? E.g. how often do
> you back up data files, run ScanDisk, Defrag, delete
> junk in \temp\ folders, \Temporary Internet Files\ and
> so on.
> 2. How do you protect yourself against malware?
> 3. When you had trouble booting, what did you try?
> What happened to a DOS boot and
> SCANREG /RESTORE
> ?
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)
> to a date before you sta

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:25:37 +0100, "Gavin"

>Underneath is the regular fault generated by IE6. I have attempted
>previously to turn flash off by re-naming the swflash.ocx file, but this
>didn't stop the problem.

>EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
>module FLASH.OCX at 015f:04223502.

>I regularly defrag,

Until the system stable, STOP doing that - like a marathon gym
session, it's a great way to make a healthy system perform better, but
killl a sickly system stone dead.

>scan disk, anti-virus is regularly checked with trendmicro.

Good on Scandisk, shrug on any Windows-based or (even bigger laugh)
online av scanning site. If you suspect active (running) malware,
going after it from within the infected system is like striking a
match to see if you're standing in petrol/gasoline.

>I have run CWshredder over the system and no malware.

No CoolWebSearch, you mean :)

>I have un-installed and re-installed

Another bad approach, if done blindly...

>I do think this error message is probably the key to it though.

Depends; it may be relevant if you always get the same error in the
same context, yes. Some clickfood:

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm - "before you think"

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm - how to do a formal virus scan

http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm - on "just re-install"

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/dllhell.htm - on DLL Hell

The last can be generalized as a way to chase any sort of bad code
file, really; look for Scandisk or av logs that point to damage, Find
all copies on the file and check them for version consistency, rename
them away and swap-test one variant at a time, etc.

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

> I'd suggest using FireFox to visit the website.

I second that regarding visiting any site.
You could use other browsers like Opera as well, anything but
I.E.

...Rex..