I've completely lost QuickView!?!

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

glee Wrote:
> Not sure why you think an update has removed it....I have just updated
> and nothing was done to QuickView. What happens when you try to add
> QuickView from Add\Remove Programs Windows Setup Accessories? Please
> give specifics as to what you see there.
Under Accessories,
there are only 10 components available (used to be 11, which included
QuickView)
Calculator
Desktop Wallpaper
Document Templates
Games
Imaging
Mouse Pointers
Paint
Screen Savers
Windows Scripting Host
WordPad

Thanks

--
Stan

See Lee's reply, as that is the most likely set of scenarios. You should *not* have
to reinstall Windows however. Extracting the missing .inf file or files may be all
that is required to get the option back in Add\Remove> Windows Setup.

You definitely need to check your system for malware:

Clean your system of trojans with the standalone app Sysclean:
- Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive and name it Sysclean.
- Go here and download sysclean.com and the pattern files to the Sysclean folder:
- Unzip the pattern files from their .zip file into the Sysclean folder.
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
- Go to the Sysclean folder and double-click sysclean.com to start the scan.

When the scan is finished, use Notepad or Wordpad to look at the log it created. You
may need to locate the files it named there to manually delete them, if sysclean did
not delete them itself.

Following that, while still in Safe Mode, use your anti-virus app to run a
full-system virus scan. Make sure you have already updated it while you are in
normal mode.

Download these apps, install and update them while in normal mode, then run them in
Safe Mode:

CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition (To update it, start it and click its 'Check for
Updates' link in the app to install updates). Use it to scan your system, and
remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware SE personal edition:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

When removing spyware, it is a good idea to download and store LSPFix ahead of time,
in case you need to fix your Internet connectivity when done. Some spyware will
break your ability to connect when removed.
LSPFix:
http://www.spychecker.com/program/lspfix.html
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lspfix.html

If problems persist, download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

When posting to one of those forums, it might also be helpful to download the free
MWAV antivirus tool from here:
ftp://ftp.microworldsystems.com/download/tools/mwav.exe
Save it to the desktop (or other convenient location) and run it. Follow the prompts
to scan your system for viruses. Then post the log of infected files from the BOTTOM
panel of the scan window, along with your Hijack This log.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm