Interesting Airport In gibraltar

Look at Gibraltar with Google Earth and you can see why they had to do
it that way!

-=tom=-

"Dude" <chris.holub@gmail.com> wrote:

>http://www.yumlum.com/117.html
>
>Automobile traffic crosses the landing strip and the cars have to wait
>as the planes take off and land.

David

Cool, reminds me of the airport at Gisborne, New Zealand with the train
track running through the middle of it.

Mmmmmm Flight Sim meets Train Sim :)

Pic http://trains.wellington.net.nz/j1234_hawkesbay/j1234_runway.jpg

Airport Train Signal Operation Charts
http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZGS_46.1.pdf

Airport Layout http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZGS_51.1_51.2.pdf

Dude wrote:
> http://www.yumlum.com/117.html
>
> Automobile traffic crosses the landing strip and the cars have to wait
> as the planes take off and land.

That's not all that strange, Gisborne in New Zealand has a railway
(railroad) track through the middle of the runway, I landed there a few
years (decades) ago and am sure they made a flypast to get the livestock
and check there were no trains in the way, anyway, have a look at this.

http://trains.wellington.net.nz/j1234_hawkesbay/j1234_runway.jpg

Lindsay.

Lindsay <ratbag2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>That's not all that strange, Gisborne in New Zealand has a railway
>(railroad) track through the middle of the runway, I landed there a few
>years (decades) ago and am sure they made a flypast to get the livestock
> and check there were no trains in the way, anyway, have a look at this.
>
>http://trains.wellington.net.nz/j1234_hawkesbay/j1234_runway.jpg
>
>Lindsay.

I got more details about that picture from a chap who was there:

" This is Gisborne Airport, on New Zealand's North Island east
coast.

The line crosses the runway extention and the the airport advises to
aircraft whether the extension is "open" or "closed.". This is done
with
lights as the airport control tower is normally only staffed for
commercial flights due in around the middle of the day. Not visible
in
the photo are a large light arrays....a vertical coloum of white
lights
on either side, or a horizontal line of red lights for extension
closed.
An aircraft the size of the one in the photo could still use the open
portion of the runway...it is only larger commercial aircraft the need
the extension. Nevertheless, it is normally open, with railway
signals
at stop, unless required for the passage of a train. The Gisborne
line
is a very lightly used branch, and there are only 4 or 5 trains a
week
normally. No passengers services. The photo shows a posed situation
with
a steam special excursion and specially bought out aircraft. Normally
ofcourse such a sight would not happen any other way. For the
record,
the locomotive is a J class 4-8-2, or 2-D-1 depending on your
upbringing. As the last type of steam engines in use in New Zealand
the
are several J class family members in preservation around the country,
This one is numbered 1234, and owned and based at Steam Incorporated,
Paekakariki, near Wellington. I had dinner in Paekakariki about 100m
from the engine shed last night. In my job as a railway conductor in
New
Zealand I have worked on special passengers trains into Gisborne on
several occasions and have crossed the runway. I was infact, on the
train seen in the photo!."

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It's not just automobiles that cross the runway - pedestrians walk
across there too. I was with a bunch of other people more or less in
the exact centre of the runway one day when the sirens went off and
the gates closed. We got to the other side a whole lot faster than we
had gotten to the middle !

LOL
Gary