UN-Install / Delete / Erase Windows ?

Yolanda

I've decided to get a new desktop system & sell my old, but I need to erase
Windows first, since I'm not selling the software. Two questions:

How do I delete windows completely?

Whoever buys my computer would they just need to buy software & pop the cd
in? -(I don't want to sell it & then whoever not be able to use it!)

Thanks for any help.

"Yolanda" <Yolanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've decided to get a new desktop system & sell my old, but I need to erase
> Windows first, since I'm not selling the software.

If it's an OEM system then you may have to supply the software with the machine
as well. IIRC, the software that comes with a bundled sytem may be tied to that
specific machine declared in the EULA for some manufacturers.

Two questions:

> How do I delete windows completely?

Start the machine with a 98 boot disk and format the drive/partitions.

> Whoever buys my computer would they just need to buy software & pop the cd
> in? -(I don't want to sell it & then whoever not be able to use it!)

They will need to purchase an operating system disk of which Win98/98SE are
getting scarce, boot with a boot disk that has CD support and run setup from the
CD to install the system.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

From a win98 startup diskette (bootdisk.com), type in fdisk after booting
from it. Remove the windows partition only. Am cautious here as I don't
know what's on any other existing partitions.

If the windows installation Cd came with the computer, you have to provide
that to the buyer. It may contain exclusive drivers for that model PC's
hardware not on the usual 98 install CD. And, such a CD will not work
properly on a new PC, or a homebuilt version, so it will not do anything for
you except to serve as a paper weight.

If you insist on retaining this Cd, be sure the buyer understands what he or
she is getting.

The ability of an OS installation CD to fully install an OS from booting off
of that CD depends on the drivers available on the CD, and the hardware on
the PC. A typical XP, Win2K, or 98/98SE retail or OEM install CD may or may
not work with the hardware on your PC and leave its hardware fully
operational upon installaiton.

"Yolanda" <Yolanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've decided to get a new desktop system & sell my old, but I need to
erase
> Windows first, since I'm not selling the software. Two questions:
>
> How do I delete windows completely?
>
> Whoever buys my computer would they just need to buy software & pop the cd
> in? -(I don't want to sell it & then whoever not be able to use it!)
>
> Thanks for any help.

"Yolanda" <Yolanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I've decided to get a new desktop system & sell my old, but I need to
erase
> Windows first, since I'm not selling the software. Two questions:
>
> How do I delete windows completely?
>
> Whoever buys my computer would they just need to buy software & pop the cd
> in? -(I don't want to sell it & then whoever not be able to use it!)

1a. To wipe the hard drive, just boot DOS and use
FDISK to remove all partitions. The next user will
have to create partitions and FORMAT them before
installing an operating system. Ordinary users will
find nothing written on the drive.
1b. Special data-recovery software can get data
off a drive thus processed. If you want maximum
security and are unwillling to scrap the hard driive,
you can buy software to overwrite every sector
with null data.

2. The purchaser needs the right booting floppy and
a Product Key as well as an instal CD in order to
prepare the PC for use.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Yolanda

Thanks for all your help! I think I understand everything now, if something
comes up, I'll post again.
Thanks again ya'll for all your help & info!

Yolanda