Computer slowdown

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 21, 2005 4:11:51 PM

PC Clone - 1.4 Pentium 4 - 500 MB Ram
WIN 98 SE
S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR [Display adapter]
Only network is to Comcast ISP
I scandisk and defrag regularly
Use Kasperky AV and it's up to date

I get on the morning and my computer is fine
When I come home at night - it's been on all day - the display is
agonizingly slow. It gets worse as I work. I finally have to reboot as
the letters echo to the sceen go so slowly.
What is the matter here?
I apologize if this is a duplicate posting couldn't seem to fine the
one I put on here an hour ago.

Many thanks - Donna

More about : computer slowdown

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:28:36 AM

Are you using a firewall to protect the system all day?

Have you checked for malware other than viruses?

Check the system for trojans with the standalone app Sysclean:
- Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive and name it Sysclean.
- Go here and download sysclean.com and the pattern files to the Sysclean folder:
- Unzip the pattern files from their .zip file into the Sysclean folder.
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
- Go to the Sysclean folder and double-click sysclean.com to start the scan.

When the scan is finished, use Notepad or Wordpad to look at the log it created. You
may need to locate the files it named there to manually delete them, if sysclean did
not delete them itself.

Following that, while still in Safe Mode, use your anti-virus app to run a
full-system virus scan. Make sure you have already updated it while you are in
normal mode.

Download these apps, install and update them while in normal mode, then run them in
Safe Mode:

CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition (To update it, start it and click its 'Check for
Updates' link in the app to install updates). Use it to scan your system, and
remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware SE personal edition:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

When removing spyware, it is a good idea to download and store LSPFix ahead of time,
in case you need to fix your Internet connectivity when done. Some spyware will
break your ability to connect when removed.
LSPFix:
http://www.spychecker.com/program/lspfix.html
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lspfix.html

If problems persist, download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.e...
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

<donnag@farpoint.com> wrote in message
> PC Clone - 1.4 Pentium 4 - 500 MB Ram
> WIN 98 SE
> S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR [Display adapter]
> Only network is to Comcast ISP
> I scandisk and defrag regularly
> Use Kasperky AV and it's up to date
>
> I get on the morning and my computer is fine
> When I come home at night - it's been on all day - the display is
> agonizingly slow. It gets worse as I work. I finally have to reboot as
> the letters echo to the sceen go so slowly.
> What is the matter here?
> I apologize if this is a duplicate posting couldn't seem to fine the
> one I put on here an hour ago.
>
> Many thanks - Donna

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:13:20 AM

OK here's my startup group as per your instructions with MSINFO32

IDETool Startup Group "C:\Program Files\IDETOOL\IDETOOL.EXE"
AutoErs Startup Group "C:\Program Files\ERS9x\AutoErs.exe"
TClock2 Startup Group C:\unzipped\tclock2_120\tclock2.exe
AvpM.exe Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky
Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\AvpM.exe"
Smc.exe Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe"
AVPCC Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky
Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe" /wait
SmcService Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
-startgui
Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE
TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
AVPCC Service Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program
Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe" /service
SmcService Registry (Machine Service)

The IDETool Startup Group is something I added when I noticed
my hard drive was running in "compablitlity mode"

AutoERS is a backup program I have used for years - - it is
probably dated now, but has bailed me out a few times.

Tclock is something I added the other day - synchronizes and
makes my clock display Day and date and time in various colors (got
thge idea for it from the guys at Bootdisk.com).

I'm "assuming" the next 4 are my Kaspersky and Sysgate
programs

Tweak UI - well we all know that one.

AVPCC service is I'm guessing something they put in there, as
it checks home to update itself fairly often.

Smc service ???????

I think you've already gotten me fixed Glen - I have been away from
the computer since late Friday and usually when I come home it would
have a case of the slows - right now it's humming along!

In my task manager I think I know most all that's there (this is from
"End it All"
Agent - this program
avpcc - says KL control centre (Kaspersky)
avpcc - ditto (wonder why it's here twice?)
avpm - KAV monitor main module
avpm - ditto
ddhelper - MS direct X helper (DD Help WndClass)
Enditall - the program I'm reading from
Explorer.exe
IDE tool - says IDE utliity
Internet explorer
kernel32.dll
mmtask.tsk - says MSMultiMedia task app ???
mprexe.exe - says Win32 Network Interface Service Process
msgsrv32.exe - says MS Windows Dos386 Wshell server
smc.exe - Sygate Agent Firewall
Spool32.-spooler sub system process
tclock2 - Cutomize Taskbar Ver 1.2.0

So here it all is, and I can't thank you enough. I've been on here
about 30 minutes and ordinarily would have had to reboot already!
But see if anything else looks wierd - and I will once again thank you
for your help - xd

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:27:28 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>According to support for Sygate Personal Firewall:
>"Under most circumstances, blocking the Windows kernel should not create a
>problem..."
>
>As an aside, there is a virus that uses that name for adding its .pif file toyu your
>startup grouop to run it at boot:
>W32.Moks
>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
>A look in msconfig> Startup tab would show if it was there, though.
>
>Your description of the display leaving remnants on-screen, leading you to reboot,
>indicates to me that you are running low on resouces, particularly GDI resources.
>It might help to know what is running in the background all day when this occurs.
>
>Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
>In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
>"Software Environment" category.
>In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
>on the right.
>Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
>right.
>Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
>Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
>paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
>
>Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Task Manager and post back with what is
>listed there when you experience the slowdown.
June 27, 2005 4:43:39 AM

I have a couple of comments, but I really must go to bed as it is getting late here,
and I have a lot to do tomorrow. I will try to include a reply to you among my
tasks for Monday. ;-)
--

> [...]
> >
> >Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
> >In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
> >"Software Environment" category.
> >In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a
list
> >on the right.
> >Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
> >right.
> >Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
> >Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V
> >paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
> >
> >Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Task Manager and post back with what
is
> >listed there when you experience the slowdown.

June 27, 2005 4:43:40 AM

OK don't forget me :(

( - - the computer really IS working great right now - - it's been
almost an hour and a half!)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:43:39 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>I have a couple of comments, but I really must go to bed as it is getting late here,
>and I have a lot to do tomorrow. I will try to include a reply to you among my
>tasks for Monday. ;-)
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:50:30 PM

donnag@farpoint.com wrote:

> avpcc - says KL control centre (Kaspersky)
> avpcc - ditto (wonder why it's here twice?)
> avpm - KAV monitor main module
> avpm - ditto

Doubled up anti-viruses are commonly cause for concern and will
inevitably cause the computer to become too slow to be used. If you
think your anti-virus shouldn't be running in duplicates, you might want
to uninstall it completely (make sure there are no traces of it left)
and then reinstall once.

> Smc.exe Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe"
> AVPCC Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky
> Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\avpcc.exe" /wait
> SmcService Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
> -startgui
>
> I'm "assuming" the next 4 are my Kaspersky and Sysgate
> programs
>
> smc.exe - Sygate Agent Firewall
>
> So here it all is, and I can't thank you enough. I've been on here
> about 30 minutes and ordinarily would have had to reboot already!
> But see if anything else looks wierd - and I will once again thank you
> for your help - xd

There is some record on the internet that the Sygate SMC (firewall) will
cause problems in Windows 98, such as using 20 MB of RAM and 90% to 100%
of the CPU (even when supposedly doing nothing), there is also an
explicit note that it can cause the computer to lag.

"Sygate firewall process (as you may have guessed!), usualy takes less
then 20 cpu, but sometimes goes up to 90's... just restart and cpu usage
should go back to normal (dont ask why)" So I guess there's your reason.

According to what I can find it seems version 5.6 is hogging so much
resources, but version 5.5
(http://www.download.com/3001-2092-10247416.html) is supposedly fine.

It could also be that the firewall is suspectable to some type of
malformed packet that will cause it to go into the 90% CPU usage frenzy.

[ http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html ]
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor
Secondary function: Cluster commander