Sign in with
Your question

Here is a little challenge and a chance to help lol

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2006 1:56:05 AM

Hello everyone! I will change my computer by the end of May but I am not sure what to get. I mostly do games MMORPG in particular. I know I want to go for AMD and I know I can't spend more than 2000$. Can anyone give some suggestions?

I know I could look it up and I did but there are so many things I don't know that it is overwhelming. Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : challenge chance lol

May 1, 2006 2:06:10 AM

I can't keep anything since I will be giving this computer to someone. However, I do not count the monitor in the 2000$. I hope it helps.

About waiting for conroe/AM2 won't it be expensive since it will be so new? And will it make a big change? Thanks for helping me it is one thing to use a computer but it's another thing to build one....
May 1, 2006 2:27:01 AM

Quote:
About waiting for conroe/AM2 won't it be expensive since it will be so new? And will it make a big change? Thanks for helping me it is one thing to use a computer but it's another thing to build one....

No.

Conroe is E6300 thru E6700.

While the selling price of the fastest Conroe is $530 (in lots of 1,000), the ext fastest is $316 (in lots of 1,000). What will the street price be? I don't know, add a 10% - 15% markup I guess.

Conroe is a BIG change.

AMD is a small change.

How well will Conroe perform? It's really too early to tell. A preliminary demo by Intel show 20% or more improvement over a comparable Athlon 64. However, thoses benchmarks were controlled by Intel. Many people have expect Conroe to beat Athlon 64, but without any really hardware reviews on it, the only thing people can do is hope and speculate.

If the end of May is your deadline, then forget Conroe since it is coming out in June (I think). You might as well go for AM2 even though it will not give you much performance boost and be a little more expensive. Why? AMD's next generation CPU, K8L, is coming out next year and will be using the AM2 socket.
Related resources
May 1, 2006 3:11:43 AM

Quote:
I can't keep anything since I will be giving this computer to someone. However, I do not count the monitor in the 2000$. I hope it helps.

Yes, conroe and AM2 will be more expensive, but, when they are released, they should drive the prices of the socket 939 AMDs and the intel D9xx CPUs down. So, if you wait, you might be able to afford a X2-4600 3-4 months from now vs a x2-3800 or comparable Intel CPU for the same cash right now. New video cards are rolling out of R&D at a 4-6 month rate right now, so again, when a new video card is released, it drives the prices of older cards down.

As for building a comp, its pretty much nothing. 30-60 minutes of labor to assemble. The hard part is selecting and matching the components both for basic compatability, as well as maximum performance. $2000 without a monitor will do pretty well as long as you dont waste cash on "frivolities". I suggest watching "pricegrabber.com" for component prices.

For the forseeable future, SATA II and PCIe will be the HDD and video card interfaces of choice. DDR or DDRII is predicated by which mobo you buy. The CPU socket situation will be changing soon, but as a loose kind of a rule, if you've never built a system before you can avoid the AMD socket 754 and 940, as well as any intel socket ealier than 755. The overclockers will be here to cry foul at that statement, but if this is your first build, stick to basics, i.e learn to crawl before trying to run.

Personally, I wouldnt waste money on painted cases, lighted fans, fancy keyboards etc. Id rather spend that cash on getting a faster CPU. A lighted case may look pretty, but it wont get you anymore FPS on your games.

Good luck
May 1, 2006 3:14:49 AM

The Rig I just got done building came to 2051.75

ASPIRE X-Navigator Silver
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
AMD Opteron 170
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000)
XFX Geforce 7900GTX
FSP Group (Fortron Source) 600W All-In-One
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 SATA150
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s
NEC 16X DVD±R
ZALMAN CNPS9500

Lower the video card to the GT and it will bring it to 1800 or so. So far, this thing is screamin.

S
May 1, 2006 4:28:53 AM

You struck gold. Opteron 165/170 is the ultimate for somone looking to OC, not to mention they are pretty dag gone cheap $330/400 respectively. You can even use the new heat pipe AMD stock cooler for moderate overclocking. Save yourself $50-60.

Modifying the rig one post up, grab a X1900XT instead of a 7900GTX because they are better in shader intensive games like Oblivion and You save a few pennies, not alot but ya know.

With those changes you can afford a DFI Lanparty UT Xpress 3200 mobo, if you want to OC at all. This board is a god, even better than the DFi Expert. It won the OC competition at Bejeing University. Its just flat crazy, but also the most complicated thing you will ever see.
May 1, 2006 8:38:03 AM

Quote:
The Rig I just got done building came to 2051.75

ASPIRE X-Navigator Silver
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
AMD Opteron 170
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000)
XFX Geforce 7900GTX
FSP Group (Fortron Source) 600W All-In-One
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 SATA150
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s
NEC 16X DVD±R
ZALMAN CNPS9500

Lower the video card to the GT and it will bring it to 1800 or so. So far, this thing is screamin.

It should be screamin, thats my dream rig, and you can't get a much faster PC out there. I mean, yeah, you could get a Opty 185, and OC to some ridiculous level, but its not needed.

DDay
!