What liquid shoud we put into water coolers? - page 2

64 answers Last reply
  1. I was going to post a joke about using mercury with a nice aluminum radiator block heheheheh anyway some might get that :) but the post above had me thinking :) I like your water flow design I was thinking you would want the highest flow in the center and the lowest amount of flow on the outside of the die ? (Im weak on thermal dynamics.....) anyway your design looks to be one of the best I have seen yet.!!!
  2. Im not sure what your asking, and no i dont know the math to do that. but what ive always done is just use distilled water w/some antifreeze. (just any brand from auto store, I buy the stuff that is clear). Then throw in a little stuff that kills algae. Im not hard core but w/ setup that i use norm system stays around 34c oc'ed.

crossfire, 1900
  3. Ammonia is the only liquid that has a higher heat capacity than water.

Ammonia - 4710
    Water - 4186

The only downsides are its flammable, and smells REALLY bad.
    Theoretically Ammonia should have a 12.5% lower temperature than water.
    thats what like 4-5 degrees? In my oppinion its not really justifiable.

Hydrogen and Helium are a LOT better than water although not very practical. :?
    They don't like to be a liquid at room temperature.

Ohh and adding antifreeze actually decreases the heat conductivity... just so you guys know. :wink:
    The only reason its added to cars is so the radiator doesnt freeze and crack.
  4. Quote:
    There's nothing wrong about using anti-freeze and distilled water for liquid cooling. But personally I used a non-electrical conductive, non-corrosive and lubricant pc cooling fluid like Fluid XP+ and PrimoChill ICE. I'm new to water cooling and I used this somewhat costly cooling fluid to protect my hardwares as well. :D

I'm going this route to. How much fluid did you buy? The reservoir I'm thinking on getting is the swiftech MCRES ( 4.5 fl oz ), + tubing + CPU block + GPU (crossfire) blocks + pump + radiator ( thermochill PA120.3). A bottle size is 32 oz.

I purchased two bottles so I don't have to buy next year in time to flush and purge my system. It's pretty cool, I tried this just like the video and pour some liquid on my older pc and it didn't fry it. So I guess this stuff works.

Caution: Do not intentionally do this test unless you're ready for the consequences. Also this liquid with still short out the cpu it the liquid could manage to get inside the cpu socket for it is a very sensitive part of the mobo and chip.
  5. Quote:
    Mountain Dew

That stuff is poison :lol: it turns your insides green, mmm green.

Anyway I use simple De-Ionised water with waterchill waterwetter /anti algae fluid.
  6. Lol, isnt the whole idea to get heat away from the CPU/GPU?

So therefor the FASTER the liquide picks up the energy from the cpu/gpu the better...

Or if u just want to have a as "cool" liquide as possible then dont even mount it on the cpu just let it sitt there pumping liquide around (should be room temp...)

=With everybody flexing their chemy knowledge this guys got it. You'd want the liquid, or soquid to pick up as much of the thermal qualities of the cpu as possible, as quickly as possible in this case heat or +temp.- carry it to a remote place (radiator). Then take on the characteristics of that place, then returning to the cpu, with those characteristics (coolness), and around. Like a po-mans phase change unit. And anti-corrosion is good too. Amen!!! Ahehehehehe
  7. I agree with beer, ever notice how quickly a nice cold beer just turns warm in a few minutes, it's sucking the hot right outa the room!
  8. Quote:
    What about Acetone???

Acetone or a some type of form of it, is what's used in heatpipes in HSF's. It's dissipates heat by condensation then back to liquid form again and repeats the cycle. It is a good thermal conductor however it is corrosive and it can dry out silicon tubes, seals, pumps and other plastic components that is why it is only used with metals like copper of that of HSF. Salt well I don't know much about it thermal conduction properties, but one thing, it can develope mineral deposits and deteriorates the liquid cooling components just like calcuim. That's why for most water cooling applications manufacturers recommend distilled water in addition of the anti-freeze in a ration of 3:1, 3 parts water and 1 part anti-freeze can help by protecting parts from corrosion and as well as inhibits the growth of algea. But if you don't want to bother with that, there's cooling fluid that are made specifically for pc cooling system and although costly, still with it's benifits can outweigh the cost. It's non-electrical conductive, non-toxic, lubricates and protects components, inhibits algea and it has about as close of thermal conduction properties that of water.

Acetone would work in theory, as long as the system was permanently closed. It is highly volitile though, so if any leaked it could start a fire or worse. Sodium also will work for cooling in a closed system. The valves on many cars have used sodium for years for cooling. Trouble is, the slightest amount of sodium, which is a salt, leaking and its the end of whatever electrical piece that it touches as it is highly electrolitic. By-by motherboard, graphics card, or whatever else gets in the way.

As for antifreeze like a polypropylene glycol, IMHO a slight amount would possibly help keep things in good order, including parts like pumps. It could also point out leaks better than pure water. As for race cars using antifreeze, depends on your race car. Many do use a polypropylene glycol mix for its lubrative value to water pumps. Back in my car racing years, I used it all the time, along with most racers that I knew. It is now banned on some tracks though, because if it spills on the track, the track becomes very slippery.
  9. hmmmmm, well i am thinking about putting in a thermoelectric cooler wich can lower tempurature to -10 c so for that would adding glycerin lower the freezing tempurature and not influence heat conductivity too much
  10. I would use Canadian beer
  11. @ any rate, no matter how scientifically stewwed down ya get about what fluid to use, your gonna have to A. Have some level of protection in the area of resistance to corrosion. B. A non-conductivity additive. C. A colour enhancement. I mean while your goin to all that trouble, you wouldn't want it to look like creek-water eh. I mean if frozencpu.com doesn't have what you want or need in the area of coolants, your just tryin to re-invent the wheel man................... :wink:
  12. Thanks for all your thoughts pplz

I have decided to go with pure water..... (double distilled & filtered)

If I see bacterial growth after a couple of weeks then I will add ethylene glycol probably around 10%.
  13. You should use Fluid XP+ or PrimoChill cooling fluid. It has everything you need for your water cooling system.
  14. If I Would Ever Use Liquid Cooling, Id Use Alchahol
  15. People "think" ethanol is cooler or better because when they touch it it evaporates quicky leaving that cool effect (latent heat of evaporation) compared to water. But remember that we are not evaporating anythink in our water cooling systmes, it is a complety sealed water tight system!

Water cooling does not depend on evaporation! (correct me if im wrong)
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Temperature Overclocking