Reappearing registry key

I useCCleaner frequently and each time it comes up with a unused registry
key

HKCR\.PFC/shell\open

This seems to relate to a programme Pagemaker which I uninstalled years ago,
and now it seems to generate itself every time CCleaner deletes it.

How can I get rid of it permanently?

Thanks
18 answers Last reply
More about reappearing registry

    Have you checked that CCleaner really deletes it?
    Have you tried deleting it manually?

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    wrote:

    >I useCCleaner frequently and each time it comes up with a unused registry
    >key
    >
    >HKCR\.PFC/shell\open
    >

    >This seems to relate to a programme Pagemaker which I uninstalled years ago,
    >and now it seems to generate itself every time CCleaner deletes it.
    >
    >How can I get rid of it permanently?
    >

    >Thanks

    Would it be safe for me to delete the whole key

    HKCR\.PFC

    ???

    Thanks

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Have you checked that CCleaner really deletes it?
    > Have you tried deleting it manually?
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I useCCleaner frequently and each time it comes up with a unused registry
    > >key
    > >
    > >HKCR\.PFC/shell\open
    > >

    > >This seems to relate to a programme Pagemaker which I uninstalled years
    ago,
    > >and now it seems to generate itself every time CCleaner deletes it.
    > >
    > >How can I get rid of it permanently?
    > >

    > >Thanks

    Yes, if you do it correctly.
    Export it for safety before deleting (a good habit to get into)

    To export it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    left hand pane and use the menu option Registry-Export and create an
    export of just that selected branch.

    To delete it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    left hand pane and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion.

    ....Alan

    --

    wrote:

    >Would it be safe for me to delete the whole key
    >
    >HKCR\.PFC
    >
    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Have you checked that CCleaner really deletes it?
    >> Have you tried deleting it manually?
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I useCCleaner frequently and each time it comes up with a unused registry
    >> >key
    >> >
    >> >HKCR\.PFC/shell\open
    >> >

    >> >This seems to relate to a programme Pagemaker which I uninstalled years
    >ago,
    >> >and now it seems to generate itself every time CCleaner deletes it.
    >> >
    >> >How can I get rid of it permanently?
    >> >

    >> >Thanks

    Thank you Alan

    Something strange is going on...

    I deleted it but it gets recreated, not sure how.

    After restarting I looked for it and it was not there. Then I ran CCleaner
    and bingo, there it was again back in the register.

    As I said I no longer have Pagemaker, so I can't understand what is going
    on.

    Any clues?

    > Yes, if you do it correctly.
    > Export it for safety before deleting (a good habit to get into)
    >
    > To export it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    > left hand pane and use the menu option Registry-Export and create an
    > export of just that selected branch.
    >
    > To delete it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    > left hand pane and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Would it be safe for me to delete the whole key
    > >
    > >HKCR\.PFC
    > >
    > >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> Have you checked that CCleaner really deletes it?
    > >> Have you tried deleting it manually?
    > >>
    > >> ...Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

    > >ago,

    Perhaps this will help:

    MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
    Last Updated May 26, 2005 (Version 1.8)
    http://www.aumha.org/a/stubborn.htm

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > Thank you Alan
    >
    > Something strange is going on...
    >
    > I deleted it but it gets recreated, not sure how.
    >
    > After restarting I looked for it and it was not there. Then I ran
    CCleaner
    > and bingo, there it was again back in the register.
    >
    > As I said I no longer have Pagemaker, so I can't understand what is going
    > on.
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Yes, if you do it correctly.
    > > Export it for safety before deleting (a good habit to get into)
    > >
    > > To export it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    > > left hand pane and use the menu option Registry-Export and create an
    > > export of just that selected branch.
    > >
    > > To delete it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    > > left hand pane and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion.
    > >
    > > ...Alan
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    > >
    > > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Would it be safe for me to delete the whole key
    > > >
    > > >HKCR\.PFC
    > > >
    > > >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

    > registry

    > years
    > > >ago,

    No, but then I am not familiar with CCleaner.
    If for some strange reason CCleaner is putting it back, then the easy
    way out is to not run CCleaner.
    I don't run any Registry cleaners and I cannot recommend their use.

    Ah... I see that CCleaner does a bit more than just "clean" the
    Registry. If it is really important to you, I could download it and
    install it on a Win98 system and see if it puts back such an entry,
    but please verify first if it is CCleaner that is doing it and you are
    not inadvertently launching the Registry backup it creates.

    ....Alan

    --

    wrote:

    >Thank you Alan
    >
    >Something strange is going on...
    >
    >I deleted it but it gets recreated, not sure how.
    >
    >After restarting I looked for it and it was not there. Then I ran CCleaner
    >and bingo, there it was again back in the register.
    >
    >As I said I no longer have Pagemaker, so I can't understand what is going
    >on.
    >
    >Any clues?
    >
    >Thanks
    >

    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Yes, if you do it correctly.
    >> Export it for safety before deleting (a good habit to get into)
    >>
    >> To export it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    >> left hand pane and use the menu option Registry-Export and create an
    >> export of just that selected branch.
    >>
    >> To delete it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    >> left hand pane and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Would it be safe for me to delete the whole key
    >> >
    >> >HKCR\.PFC
    >> >
    >> >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

    >registry

    >years
    >> >ago,

    Jack

    With respect, he is talking about a Registry entry, not a file.
    I see no relevance in your response.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jack E Martinelli"
    <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    >Perhaps this will help:
    >
    >MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
    >Last Updated May 26, 2005 (Version 1.8)
    >http://www.aumha.org/a/stubborn.htm
    >
    >--
    >Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

    >------
    >"Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    >> Thank you Alan
    >>
    >> Something strange is going on...
    >>
    >> I deleted it but it gets recreated, not sure how.
    >>
    >> After restarting I looked for it and it was not there. Then I ran
    >CCleaner
    >> and bingo, there it was again back in the register.
    >>
    >> As I said I no longer have Pagemaker, so I can't understand what is going
    >> on.
    >>
    >> Any clues?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Yes, if you do it correctly.
    >> > Export it for safety before deleting (a good habit to get into)
    >> >
    >> > To export it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    >> > left hand pane and use the menu option Registry-Export and create an
    >> > export of just that selected branch.
    >> >
    >> > To delete it, ensure the highlight is on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PFC in the
    >> > left hand pane and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion.
    >> >
    >> > ...Alan
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> > http://dts-l.org/index.html

    >> registry

    >> years

    Thank you Alan and Jack

    I have been investigating further and found out that I was wrong: the key is
    connected to PageManager (and not PageMaker) which forms part of Presto!
    PageMaker for Epson.

    Now what CCleaner says is that the problem is an "open with Application
    issue" and the regedit key is HKCR\.PFC\shell\open

    This key has the following value:
    C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1

    I have been delting the key but it gets reinstalled I am not sure how, as
    when I reboot after deleting it is not there but some time later it comes
    back.

    Sorry for the earlier confusion talking about a long deleted programme.

    Do you have any ideas, what I could do to solve the problem?

    Thank you veru much for your interest

    > Jack
    >
    > With respect, he is talking about a Registry entry, not a file.
    > I see no relevance in your response.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jack E Martinelli"
    > <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Perhaps this will help:
    > >
    > >MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
    > >Last Updated May 26, 2005 (Version 1.8)
    > >http://www.aumha.org/a/stubborn.htm
    > >
    > >--
    > >Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    >
    > >------
    > >"Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > >> Thank you Alan
    > >>
    > >> Something strange is going on...
    > >>
    > >> I deleted it but it gets recreated, not sure how.
    > >>
    > >> After restarting I looked for it and it was not there. Then I ran
    > >CCleaner
    > >> and bingo, there it was again back in the register.
    > >>
    > >> As I said I no longer have Pagemaker, so I can't understand what is
    going
    > >> on.
    > >>
    > >> Any clues?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > >> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

    > >> registry

    > >> years

    OK. Now we have a completely different ball game, so let us start from
    scratch.
    If you have PMviewer.exe then I don't see why you need to delete the
    key.
    Do you have PMviewer.exe?
    If so, so you have any .PFC files?
    If so, do they open with PMviewer if you double-click them.
    If so, then ignore CCleaner.

    ....Alan

    --

    wrote:

    >Thank you Alan and Jack
    >
    >I have been investigating further and found out that I was wrong: the key is
    >connected to PageManager (and not PageMaker) which forms part of Presto!
    >PageMaker for Epson.
    >
    >Now what CCleaner says is that the problem is an "open with Application
    >issue" and the regedit key is HKCR\.PFC\shell\open
    >
    >This key has the following value:
    >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1
    >
    >I have been delting the key but it gets reinstalled I am not sure how, as
    >when I reboot after deleting it is not there but some time later it comes
    >back.
    >
    >Sorry for the earlier confusion talking about a long deleted programme.
    >

    >Do you have any ideas, what I could do to solve the problem?
    >

    >Thank you veru much for your interest

    Hi Alan

    Well, I think I found out what the problem is. Now I only need to know what
    to do about it.

    NO, I do not have a PMviewer.exe but I do have a PMview.ex_ , in the
    C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\ subfloder. And I think what is
    happening is that the registry key value is

    C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1, and of course it can't
    find it because it does not exist!

    neither do I have any .PCF file.

    CCleaner reckons that the key is useless because the file it points to, does
    not exist. But why should it get reinstated if I delete it?

    help...

    > OK. Now we have a completely different ball game, so let us start from
    > scratch.
    > If you have PMviewer.exe then I don't see why you need to delete the
    > key.
    > Do you have PMviewer.exe?
    > If so, so you have any .PFC files?
    > If so, do they open with PMviewer if you double-click them.
    > If so, then ignore CCleaner.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you Alan and Jack
    > >
    > >I have been investigating further and found out that I was wrong: the key
    is
    > >connected to PageManager (and not PageMaker) which forms part of Presto!
    > >PageMaker for Epson.
    > >
    > >Now what CCleaner says is that the problem is an "open with Application
    > >issue" and the regedit key is HKCR\.PFC\shell\open
    > >
    > >This key has the following value:
    > >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1
    > >
    > >I have been delting the key but it gets reinstalled I am not sure how, as
    > >when I reboot after deleting it is not there but some time later it comes
    > >back.
    > >
    > >Sorry for the earlier confusion talking about a long deleted programme.
    > >

    > >Do you have any ideas, what I could do to solve the problem?
    > >

    > >Thank you veru much for your interest

    It would help if you told us what version of PageManager is installed (open
    PageManager, click the Help menu> About); what software package it came in, and
    what hardware it came with....I am assuming from your comments that it came with an
    Epson scanner? What model is the scanner?

    It's possible that you simply need to reinstall the PageManager software.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Hi Alan
    >
    > Well, I think I found out what the problem is. Now I only need to know what
    > to do about it.
    >
    > NO, I do not have a PMviewer.exe but I do have a PMview.ex_ , in the
    > C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\ subfloder. And I think what is
    > happening is that the registry key value is
    >
    > C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1, and of course it can't
    > find it because it does not exist!
    >
    > neither do I have any .PCF file.
    >
    > CCleaner reckons that the key is useless because the file it points to, does
    > not exist. But why should it get reinstated if I delete it?
    >
    > help...
    >

    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > > OK. Now we have a completely different ball game, so let us start from
    > > scratch.
    > > If you have PMviewer.exe then I don't see why you need to delete the
    > > key.
    > > Do you have PMviewer.exe?
    > > If so, so you have any .PFC files?
    > > If so, do they open with PMviewer if you double-click them.
    > > If so, then ignore CCleaner.
    > >
    > > ...Alan
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    > >
    > > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Thank you Alan and Jack
    > > >
    > > >I have been investigating further and found out that I was wrong: the key
    > is
    > > >connected to PageManager (and not PageMaker) which forms part of Presto!
    > > >PageMaker for Epson.
    > > >
    > > >Now what CCleaner says is that the problem is an "open with Application
    > > >issue" and the regedit key is HKCR\.PFC\shell\open
    > > >
    > > >This key has the following value:
    > > >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1
    > > >
    > > >I have been delting the key but it gets reinstalled I am not sure how, as
    > > >when I reboot after deleting it is not there but some time later it comes
    > > >back.
    > > >
    > > >Sorry for the earlier confusion talking about a long deleted programme.
    > > >

    > > >Do you have any ideas, what I could do to solve the problem?
    > > >

    > > >Thank you veru much for your interest

    I suggest you supply the information Glen ask for.
    It probably gets reinstalled as PageManager is probably running (a
    guess) and correcting it when you delete it.

    I only see one mention of a pmview.ex_ in connection with pmviewer.exe
    but no resolution.
    You could try Newsoft http://www.newsoftinc.com/about/contactUs.asp

    A simple fudge would be to rename pmview.ex_ to pmviewer.exe.
    That may not affect anything if you don't use it, although the .ex_
    extension indicates to me you probably should expand it with the old
    EXPAND command.

    Yes, the key is useless but the easy way out is still to ignore
    CCleaner's recommendations.

    ....Alan

    --

    wrote:

    >Hi Alan
    >
    >Well, I think I found out what the problem is. Now I only need to know what
    >to do about it.
    >
    >NO, I do not have a PMviewer.exe but I do have a PMview.ex_ , in the
    >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\ subfloder. And I think what is
    >happening is that the registry key value is
    >
    >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1, and of course it can't
    >find it because it does not exist!
    >
    >neither do I have any .PCF file.
    >
    >CCleaner reckons that the key is useless because the file it points to, does
    >not exist. But why should it get reinstated if I delete it?
    >
    >help...
    >

    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> OK. Now we have a completely different ball game, so let us start from
    >> scratch.
    >> If you have PMviewer.exe then I don't see why you need to delete the
    >> key.
    >> Do you have PMviewer.exe?
    >> If so, so you have any .PFC files?
    >> If so, do they open with PMviewer if you double-click them.
    >> If so, then ignore CCleaner.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thank you Alan and Jack
    >> >
    >> >I have been investigating further and found out that I was wrong: the key
    >is
    >> >connected to PageManager (and not PageMaker) which forms part of Presto!
    >> >PageMaker for Epson.
    >> >
    >> >Now what CCleaner says is that the problem is an "open with Application
    >> >issue" and the regedit key is HKCR\.PFC\shell\open
    >> >
    >> >This key has the following value:
    >> >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1
    >> >
    >> >I have been delting the key but it gets reinstalled I am not sure how, as
    >> >when I reboot after deleting it is not there but some time later it comes
    >> >back.
    >> >
    >> >Sorry for the earlier confusion talking about a long deleted programme.
    >> >

    >> >Do you have any ideas, what I could do to solve the problem?
    >> >

    >> >Thank you veru much for your interest

    I had it updated to 4.20.04P4, so I guess it is all up to date. I will
    contact newsoft and see what they say.

    > I suggest you supply the information Glen ask for.
    > It probably gets reinstalled as PageManager is probably running (a
    > guess) and correcting it when you delete it.
    >
    > I only see one mention of a pmview.ex_ in connection with pmviewer.exe
    > but no resolution.
    > You could try Newsoft http://www.newsoftinc.com/about/contactUs.asp
    >
    > A simple fudge would be to rename pmview.ex_ to pmviewer.exe.
    > That may not affect anything if you don't use it, although the .ex_
    > extension indicates to me you probably should expand it with the old
    > EXPAND command.
    >
    > Yes, the key is useless but the easy way out is still to ignore
    > CCleaner's recommendations.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Alan
    > >
    > >Well, I think I found out what the problem is. Now I only need to know
    what
    > >to do about it.
    > >
    > >NO, I do not have a PMviewer.exe but I do have a PMview.ex_ , in the
    > >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\ subfloder. And I think what is
    > >happening is that the registry key value is
    > >
    > >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1, and of course it
    can't
    > >find it because it does not exist!
    > >
    > >neither do I have any .PCF file.
    > >
    > >CCleaner reckons that the key is useless because the file it points to,
    does
    > >not exist. But why should it get reinstated if I delete it?
    > >
    > >help...
    > >

    > >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> OK. Now we have a completely different ball game, so let us start from
    > >> scratch.
    > >> If you have PMviewer.exe then I don't see why you need to delete the
    > >> key.
    > >> Do you have PMviewer.exe?
    > >> If so, so you have any .PFC files?
    > >> If so, do they open with PMviewer if you double-click them.
    > >> If so, then ignore CCleaner.
    > >>
    > >> ...Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

    > >is
    Presto!

    Application

    Is that the version of PageManager you currently have? You didn't specify, but I am
    guessing that is what you are referring to with 4.20.04P4

    Did it come with your scanner software? if so, what model scanner?
    --

    > I had it updated to 4.20.04P4, so I guess it is all up to date. I will
    > contact newsoft and see what they say.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > > I suggest you supply the information Glen ask for.
    > > It probably gets reinstalled as PageManager is probably running (a
    > > guess) and correcting it when you delete it.
    > >
    > > I only see one mention of a pmview.ex_ in connection with pmviewer.exe
    > > but no resolution.
    > > You could try Newsoft http://www.newsoftinc.com/about/contactUs.asp
    > >
    > > A simple fudge would be to rename pmview.ex_ to pmviewer.exe.
    > > That may not affect anything if you don't use it, although the .ex_
    > > extension indicates to me you probably should expand it with the old
    > > EXPAND command.
    > >
    > > Yes, the key is useless but the easy way out is still to ignore
    > > CCleaner's recommendations.
    > >
    > > ...Alan
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    > >
    > > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Jorge" <open@closed.org>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi Alan
    > > >
    > > >Well, I think I found out what the problem is. Now I only need to know
    > what
    > > >to do about it.
    > > >
    > > >NO, I do not have a PMviewer.exe but I do have a PMview.ex_ , in the
    > > >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\ subfloder. And I think what is
    > > >happening is that the registry key value is
    > > >
    > > >C:\Program Files\NewSoft\PageManager\PMviewer.exe %1, and of course it
    > can't
    > > >find it because it does not exist!
    > > >
    > > >neither do I have any .PCF file.
    > > >
    > > >CCleaner reckons that the key is useless because the file it points to,
    > does
    > > >not exist. But why should it get reinstated if I delete it?
    > > >
    > > >help...
    > > >

    > > >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

    > key
    > > >is
    > Presto!

    > Application

    > as
    > comes

    > programme.

    It is the latest version that was downloaded only yesterday, hoping it might
    resolve the problem. The programme came bundled with the scanner : Epson
    perfection 1200 Photo.

    Thaks for your interest.

    > Is that the version of PageManager you currently have? You didn't
    specify, but I am
    > guessing that is what you are referring to with 4.20.04P4
    >
    > Did it come with your scanner software? if so, what model scanner?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I had it updated to 4.20.04P4, so I guess it is all up to date. I will
    > > contact newsoft and see what they say.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > > > I suggest you supply the information Glen ask for.
    > > > It probably gets reinstalled as PageManager is probably running (a
    > > > guess) and correcting it when you delete it.
    > > >
    > > > I only see one mention of a pmview.ex_ in connection with pmviewer.exe
    > > > but no resolution.
    > > > You could try Newsoft http://www.newsoftinc.com/about/contactUs.asp
    > > >
    > > > A simple fudge would be to rename pmview.ex_ to pmviewer.exe.
    > > > That may not affect anything if you don't use it, although the .ex_
    > > > extension indicates to me you probably should expand it with the old
    > > > EXPAND command.
    > > >
    > > > Yes, the key is useless but the easy way out is still to ignore
    > > > CCleaner's recommendations.
    > > >
    > > > ...Alan
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > > http://dts-l.org/index.html

    > > what

    > > can't

    > > does

    the
    > > key
    > > Presto!

    > > Application

    > > as
    > > comes

    > > programme.

    Looking at the Epson support site for the Perfection 1200 Photo, they say to contact
    the third-party for support of the software....so it looks like that would be
    Newsoft again. I tend to think a reinstall of the Newsoft software may be in order,
    but you should probably contact them first.
    --

    > It is the latest version that was downloaded only yesterday, hoping it might
    > resolve the problem. The programme came bundled with the scanner : Epson
    > perfection 1200 Photo.
    >
    > Thaks for your interest.

    > > Is that the version of PageManager you currently have? You didn't
    > specify, but I am
    > > guessing that is what you are referring to with 4.20.04P4
    > >
    > > Did it come with your scanner software? if so, what model scanner?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I had it updated to 4.20.04P4, so I guess it is all up to date. I will
    > > > contact newsoft and see what they say.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >

    > > > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

    > know
    > > > what

    > it
    > > > can't

    > to,
    > > > does

    > from
    > the

    > the
    > > > key
    > > > Presto!

    > > > Application

    > how,
    > > > as
    > it
    > > > comes

    > > > programme.

    I did.

    I reinstalled PageManager yesterday, but the situation is the same with the
    key pointing to the wrong file!

    Thanks for your continued interest in my little problem.

    > Looking at the Epson support site for the Perfection 1200 Photo, they say
    to contact
    > the third-party for support of the software....so it looks like that would
    be
    > Newsoft again. I tend to think a reinstall of the Newsoft software may be
    in order,
    > but you should probably contact them first.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > > It is the latest version that was downloaded only yesterday, hoping it
    might
    > > resolve the problem. The programme came bundled with the scanner :
    Epson
    > > perfection 1200 Photo.
    > >
    > > Thaks for your interest.
    > >

    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > Is that the version of PageManager you currently have? You didn't
    > > specify, but I am
    > > > guessing that is what you are referring to with 4.20.04P4
    > > >
    > > > Did it come with your scanner software? if so, what model scanner?
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message

    http://www.newsoftinc.com/about/contactUs.asp

    > > know

    > > it

    > > to,

    > > from
    > > the

    > > the

    > > how,
    > > it

    What does Newsoft support have to say about it?
    It appears that pmview.exe has not been expanded from the ex_ file....but is it an
    optional component that perhaps you did not install through a custom install option?
    Is it even needed? What does it do?

    If the program works as it is supposed to, I would ignore the "error" from the
    utility that is reporting it.
    --

    > I did.
    >
    > I reinstalled PageManager yesterday, but the situation is the same with the
    > key pointing to the wrong file!
    >

    > Thanks for your continued interest in my little problem.

    > > Looking at the Epson support site for the Perfection 1200 Photo, they say
    > to contact
    > > the third-party for support of the software....so it looks like that would
    > be
    > > Newsoft again. I tend to think a reinstall of the Newsoft software may be
    > in order,
    > > but you should probably contact them first.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > > > It is the latest version that was downloaded only yesterday, hoping it
    > might
    > > > resolve the problem. The programme came bundled with the scanner :
    > Epson
    > > > perfection 1200 Photo.
    > > >
    > > > Thaks for your interest.
    > > >

    > > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message