Customize Open / Save As dialog box

Is there any way to customize the common Windows 98 "Open File" and "Save As" dialog boxes? (make them wider and bigger, add custom folders to the "Save In" list, etc.) Adding a shortcut to the desktop doesn't really work for saving, because the file name of the shortcut usually overrides the original file to be saved.

I guess there is no easy way to do this (registry) other than actually writing a program. I am wondering whether anyone has any good freeware utility to recommend for this purpose?

I've found these two website, but they are not free:

http://www.file-ex.com/welcome.html
http://digilander.libero.it/important/bigwin/eng/

Thanks and regards,

Ivan

Unless you want to write replacement Common Dialog DLL files yourself, there
is no other option.

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> Is there any way to customize the common Windows 98 "Open File" and "Save As" dialog boxes? (make them wider and bigger, add custom folders to the "Save In" list, etc.) Adding a shortcut to the desktop doesn't really work for saving, because the file name of the shortcut usually overrides the original file to be saved.
>
> I guess there is no easy way to do this (registry) other than actually writing a program. I am wondering whether anyone has any good freeware utility to recommend for this purpose?

You can alter the Windows sizes settings in "Desktop > rightclick >
properties > Appearance".

As for adding a button or two, there is no other way than hacking the
dialog DLL and this may be next to impossible (or dangerous to system
stability).

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor