Thermaltake Soprano - Front Panel Audio Confusion

Deikon

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I recently purchased a Thermaltake Soprano and am currently in the process of hooking it up. I've stumbled into a rather confusing problem with hooking up the Front Panel Audio, however.

For the motherboard I have an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe and it mentions two compliant definitions in the manual as follows:

Azalia compliant definition:

(10-1 pin AAFP setup)
ABCDE
FGHIJ

A) GND
B) Presence#
C) SENSE1_RETUR
D) No Pin
E) SENSE2_RETUR

F) PORT1L
G) PORT1R
H) PORT2R
I) SENSE_SEND
J) PORT2L

Legacy AC'97 compliant definition:

A) AGND
B) NC
C) NC
D) No Pin
E) NC

F) MIC_L
G) MIC_R
H) Line Out_R
I) NC
J) Line Out_L

The Thermaltake Soprano labels the connections for the Front Panel Audio as follows:

EAR R
Return R
EAR L
Return L
MIC IN
MIC VCC
Ground

I wish to know which setup I should use and how I should attach each cable to its corresponding pin. Some of them make sense to hook up while others are a bit more confusing. Any help regarding this will be most appreciated.

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You probably need to check your chipset and see which on-board sound you have with that board. Most I've seen are AC97. The manuals printed out are often generic on certain things, as they end up using more than one configuration and it saves cost of printing up different manuals.

Most likely you'll have AC97, just check the board and verify.

Deikon

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Didn't see anything that said anything about AC97...

Though manual and board both mention Realtek ALC882 (HD Audio) as being the onboard sound.

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I believe Realtek is AC97.

Maybe just install Windows before you hook up the FP audio. Once you install the drivers, you can check the device manager, and it should indicate whether or not it's AC97.