Can't connect to the internet

I have a computer that I'm trying to fix, it has Win98SE installed on to it.
Basically I can't connect to the internet. What fixes it temporarily is if
I release all and then renew all through WINIPCFG. After I do this I can
get onto the net. However, once I reboot, I can no longer get on and I have
to do the WINIPCFG release/renew again if I want to connect.

I've tried all the winsock fixes there are. I've scanned with multiple
anti-virus scanners as well as anti-spyware programs. I've come up with no
spyware or viruses on the computer. I've uninstalled all network programs
such as tcp/ip and windows networking and reinstalled them to no avail.

I really need to figure this out without formatting.

If anyone can help, please let me know what worked for you.
11 answers Last reply
More about connect internet

    Also I did try using another NIC and the same thing happens.
    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that I'm trying to fix, it has Win98SE installed on to
    >it. Basically I can't connect to the internet. What fixes it temporarily
    >is if I release all and then renew all through WINIPCFG. After I do this I
    >can get onto the net. However, once I reboot, I can no longer get on and I
    >have to do the WINIPCFG release/renew again if I want to connect.
    >

    > I've tried all the winsock fixes there are. I've scanned with multiple
    > anti-virus scanners as well as anti-spyware programs. I've come up with
    > no spyware or viruses on the computer. I've uninstalled all network
    > programs such as tcp/ip and windows networking and reinstalled them to no
    > avail.
    >

    > I really need to figure this out without formatting.
    >

    > If anyone can help, please let me know what worked for you.

    Just another tidbit, we're both connecting through a broadband connection,
    no dial up.

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that I'm trying to fix, it has Win98SE installed on to
    >it. Basically I can't connect to the internet. What fixes it temporarily
    >is if I release all and then renew all through WINIPCFG. After I do this I
    >can get onto the net. However, once I reboot, I can no longer get on and I
    >have to do the WINIPCFG release/renew again if I want to connect.
    >

    > I've tried all the winsock fixes there are. I've scanned with multiple
    > anti-virus scanners as well as anti-spyware programs. I've come up with
    > no spyware or viruses on the computer. I've uninstalled all network
    > programs such as tcp/ip and windows networking and reinstalled them to no
    > avail.
    >

    > I really need to figure this out without formatting.
    >

    > If anyone can help, please let me know what worked for you.

    You left out one rather important bit of data--how are you connecting to
    the internet? Cable modem, DSL? Only one machine on the network, or is
    the modem shared by more than one machine, and if so, is there a router
    involved?

    As Spock might say, there is insufficient data to support any
    conclusions.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that I'm trying to fix, it has Win98SE installed on
    >to it. Basically I can't connect to the internet. What fixes it
    >temporarily is if I release all and then renew all through WINIPCFG.
    >After I do this I can get onto the net. However, once I reboot, I can
    >no longer get on and I have to do the WINIPCFG release/renew again if I
    >want to connect.
    >

    > I've tried all the winsock fixes there are. I've scanned with
    > multiple anti-virus scanners as well as anti-spyware programs. I've
    > come up with no spyware or viruses on the computer. I've uninstalled
    > all network programs such as tcp/ip and windows networking and
    > reinstalled them to no avail.
    >

    > I really need to figure this out without formatting.
    >

    > If anyone can help, please let me know what worked for you.

    Basically I work at a computer repair store and we're connected via a cable
    modem along with a router. This computer WAS working fine on our network
    when we sent the computer home with the customer. Upon getting home, the
    customer FUBAR'd something while trying to install MSN.

    The computer has a fresh installation of Windows 98 second edition. Some
    how some way there is IE6 on the computer. I guess the client must have
    downloaded and installed it.

    If there is any other pertinent information that you need, please, just ask.
    Thank you for your time MVP.

    > You left out one rather important bit of data--how are you connecting to
    > the internet? Cable modem, DSL? Only one machine on the network, or is the
    > modem shared by more than one machine, and if so, is there a router
    > involved?
    >
    > As Spock might say, there is insufficient data to support any conclusions.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a computer that I'm trying to fix, it has Win98SE installed on to
    >>it. Basically I can't connect to the internet. What fixes it temporarily
    >>is if I release all and then renew all through WINIPCFG. After I do this I
    >>can get onto the net. However, once I reboot, I can no longer get on and
    >>I have to do the WINIPCFG release/renew again if I want to connect.
    >>

    >> I've tried all the winsock fixes there are. I've scanned with multiple
    >> anti-virus scanners as well as anti-spyware programs. I've come up with
    >> no spyware or viruses on the computer. I've uninstalled all network
    >> programs such as tcp/ip and windows networking and reinstalled them to no
    >> avail.
    >>

    >> I really need to figure this out without formatting.
    >>

    >> If anyone can help, please let me know what worked for you.

    Well, *you* may be nocturnal, and quite frequently so am I. But I'm
    three hours ahead of you, and I'm about fried for today, <s>.

    I'll see if some sleep brings any bright ideas to the fore.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Nocturnal wrote:
    > I have a computer that I'm trying to fix, it has Win98SE installed on to it.
    > Basically I can't connect to the internet. What fixes it temporarily is if
    > I release all and then renew all through WINIPCFG. After I do this I can
    > get onto the net. However, once I reboot, I can no longer get on and I have
    > to do the WINIPCFG release/renew again if I want to connect.
    >
    > I've tried all the winsock fixes there are. I've scanned with multiple
    > anti-virus scanners as well as anti-spyware programs. I've come up with no
    > spyware or viruses on the computer. I've uninstalled all network programs
    > such as tcp/ip and windows networking and reinstalled them to no avail.
    >
    > I really need to figure this out without formatting.
    >
    > If anyone can help, please let me know what worked for you.

    Looks like a NIC driver / power managment related problem. Okay,
    probably not power managment related in Windows 98SE, but may still be
    bad driver configuration (e.g. wrong Media Type setting).

    Right click that network neighbourhood thing and see properties. Then
    the dialog for NIC configuration (click a NIC, properties, advanced).

    What also pops to mind is that a firewall might have been installed and
    then inapropriately uninstalled (or plain deleted). That usually screws
    up the connection.

    If nothing else, you can still put in an invisibble start-up batch that
    does release all and renew all. I have made the program that starts the
    batch invisibly for other reasons and I can send you a copy if you wish.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian: