Help me! CMOS checksum error!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 24, 2005 12:00:02 PM

I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
"CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start Windows
(Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to it.

Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate nowadays.
Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause and
what are the solutions to it?

Any help will be very much appreciated .......

More about : cmos checksum error

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:30:50 PM

It could be CMOS battery. Try entering bios and reset CMOS. (load optimized
defaults ot whatever is used). Save and exit and see if the CMOS error goes
away.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
> "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start
> Windows
> (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to
> it.
>
> Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate
> nowadays.
> Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
> and
> what are the solutions to it?
>
> Any help will be very much appreciated .......

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:33:05 PM

"lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
> "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start
Windows
> (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to
it.

> Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate
nowadays.
> Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
and
> what are the solutions to it?
>
> Any help will be very much appreciated .......

You nailed it. Your CMOS battery is dead.
There will be a number stamped on it.
Check it beforehand to make sure you buy the correct type.
You can get a replacement anywhere batteries are sold.
June 24, 2005 3:27:54 PM

It sounds like your battery might have gone dead.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:48:01 PM

"lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate
nowadays.
> Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
and
> what are the solutions to it?

Replace the battery:
1. Power down and disconnect.
2. Open PC case.
3. Locate the battery on the main board -- a silver
disk half an inch (1 cm) across, lying flush with the
main board surface. If one of the "cards" lies across
it you may need to remove the card (one Phillips screw).
4. Remove the battery. If a clip holds it in place, you
should be able to see how it works. Remember which
way up the battery goes (writing side up or writing
side down.)
5. Buy an identical battery at a computer store,
replace, close case, power up, enter date and time.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

What is the battery's normal life. One of my machine goes back to march 1994
Win3.11 and there is no such problem.

"lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
"CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start
Windows
(Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to
it.

Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate nowadays.
Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
and
what are the solutions to it?

Any help will be very much appreciated .......
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:32:18 PM

some motherboards have rechargeble batteries charging off the power supplies

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
| What is the battery's normal life. One of my machine goes back to march
1994
| Win3.11 and there is no such problem.
|

| "lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
| "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start
| Windows
| (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to
| it.
|
| Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate
nowadays.
| Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
| and
| what are the solutions to it?
|
| Any help will be very much appreciated .......

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:53:03 AM

lcy wrote:
> I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
> "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start Windows
> (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to it.
>
> Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate nowadays.
> Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause and
> what are the solutions to it?
>
> Any help will be very much appreciated .......

As others said, CMOS battery is dead (coin-shaped, if replacable type).
Turn off computer, remove battery (help yourself with tweezers if you
have to, be sure not to bend anything out of shape). Go to the battery
store and get a replacement, insert the battery and make sure you put it
in the right way.

Then turn computer on, enter BIOS and load setup defaults. If you had
any password on the BIOS it will not be there anymore. Load Setup Defaults.

You will also have to set the clock again in Windows.

That should work, if your computer has any problems, post here again
with the type of hardware you have (processor, etc) you may need to
tweak some settings in there.

Also note that if you can't find the battery and your motherboard is
very old, it might be impossible to remove the battery as it is fuzed
with the motherboard. That poses a bit of a problem then.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian: