Help me! CMOS checksum error!

I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
"CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start Windows
(Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to it.

Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate nowadays.
Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause and
what are the solutions to it?

Any help will be very much appreciated .......
12 answers Last reply
More about help cmos checksum error

    It could be CMOS battery. Try entering bios and reset CMOS. (load optimized
    defaults ot whatever is used). Save and exit and see if the CMOS error goes
    away.

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
    > "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start
    > Windows
    > (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to
    > it.
    >
    > Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate
    > nowadays.
    > Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
    > and
    > what are the solutions to it?
    >
    > Any help will be very much appreciated .......

    "lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
    > "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start
    Windows
    > (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to
    it.

    > Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate
    nowadays.
    > Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
    and
    > what are the solutions to it?
    >
    > Any help will be very much appreciated .......

    You nailed it. Your CMOS battery is dead.
    There will be a number stamped on it.
    Check it beforehand to make sure you buy the correct type.
    You can get a replacement anywhere batteries are sold.

    It sounds like your battery might have gone dead.

    "lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate
    nowadays.
    > Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
    and
    > what are the solutions to it?

    Replace the battery:
    1. Power down and disconnect.
    2. Open PC case.
    3. Locate the battery on the main board -- a silver
    disk half an inch (1 cm) across, lying flush with the
    main board surface. If one of the "cards" lies across
    it you may need to remove the card (one Phillips screw).
    4. Remove the battery. If a clip holds it in place, you
    should be able to see how it works. Remember which
    way up the battery goes (writing side up or writing
    side down.)
    5. Buy an identical battery at a computer store,
    replace, close case, power up, enter date and time.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    What is the battery's normal life. One of my machine goes back to march 1994
    Win3.11 and there is no such problem.

    "lcy" <lcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
    "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start
    Windows
    (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to
    it.

    Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate nowadays.
    Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause
    and
    what are the solutions to it?

    Any help will be very much appreciated .......

    some motherboards have rechargeble batteries charging off the power supplies

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _

    lcy wrote:
    > I switched on my PC, after a few seconds comes a beep sound and the error
    > "CMOS checksum error" emerges. But I pressed F1 and I'm able to start Windows
    > (Windows 98 SE). What does this error means and are there any remedies to it.
    >
    > Another thing. my system time when I started Windows is inaccurate nowadays.
    > Is it caused by internal batteries being old/outdated. What is thse cause and
    > what are the solutions to it?
    >
    > Any help will be very much appreciated .......

    As others said, CMOS battery is dead (coin-shaped, if replacable type).
    Turn off computer, remove battery (help yourself with tweezers if you
    have to, be sure not to bend anything out of shape). Go to the battery
    store and get a replacement, insert the battery and make sure you put it
    in the right way.

    Then turn computer on, enter BIOS and load setup defaults. If you had
    any password on the BIOS it will not be there anymore. Load Setup Defaults.

    You will also have to set the clock again in Windows.

    That should work, if your computer has any problems, post here again
    with the type of hardware you have (processor, etc) you may need to
    tweak some settings in there.

    Also note that if you can't find the battery and your motherboard is
    very old, it might be impossible to remove the battery as it is fuzed
    with the motherboard. That poses a bit of a problem then.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian: