DELETED MICROSOFT WORD

Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then my recycle
bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document" has gone
too. Thankyou Carolann
5 answers Last reply
More about deleted microsoft word

    "Cazza37" <Cazza37@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then my
    recycle
    > bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document" has gone
    > too. Thankyou Carolann

    Right-click on the Start button
    Choose "Explore"

    Expand the Windows folder
    Left-click on the Desktop folder

    Hold down the Ctrl key and press the F key

    In the "Named" box, type winword.exe
    Click the "Find Now" button

    When it finds Winword.exe,
    right-click on the file name,
    hold the mouse button down
    and drag to the C:\WINDOWS\Desktop folder

    Release the button and choose
    "Create Shortcut Here"

    Close Explorer.

    The shortcut will be back on your Desktop.

    Actually, for the particular shortcut that is described, the target
    should be OSA.EXE. Not sure how it's done in the original
    instance--Office, and especially Office on WinXP, can be difficult to
    decipher.

    Anyway, use the -n switch for the New Document dialogue, the -f switch
    for Open Document. My Office Suite is installed to my E:\ drive, and the
    command that works looks *exactly* like the following INCLUDING QUOTES:

    "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OSA.EXE" -n

    See:
    OFF97: What Is the Office Startup Application (OSA) and What Does It Do?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=165071

    OFFXP: What Is the Osa.exe File and What Does It Do?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290144

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > "Cazza37" <Cazza37@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then my
    > recycle
    >> bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document" has
    >> gone
    >> too. Thankyou Carolann
    >
    > Right-click on the Start button
    > Choose "Explore"
    >
    > Expand the Windows folder
    > Left-click on the Desktop folder
    >
    > Hold down the Ctrl key and press the F key
    >
    > In the "Named" box, type winword.exe
    > Click the "Find Now" button
    >
    > When it finds Winword.exe,
    > right-click on the file name,
    > hold the mouse button down
    > and drag to the C:\WINDOWS\Desktop folder
    >
    > Release the button and choose
    > "Create Shortcut Here"
    >
    > Close Explorer.
    >
    > The shortcut will be back on your Desktop.

    Thanks, tried this but havn,t got winword.exe file anywhere in computer is
    there anything else you can suggest ?

    "Carolann377`````````````````" <Carolann377@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:711BCC02-DC5A-4922-838F-D22719075A9D@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks, tried this but havn,t got winword.exe file anywhere in computer is
    > there anything else you can suggest ?

    Winword.exe is the Microsoft Word executable.

    You originally posted that it had been deleted from your Desktop.
    I took that at face value, to mean that the shortcut
    had been inadvertently deleted from the Desktop folder.

    The situation is now more serious, and begs a question.

    What did you do to remove Word?

    Do you have the Word or Essentials or Office CD
    which you can use to reinstall it?

    Try searching for just "WINWORD", without the extension.

    Use Windows Explorer to go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10
    (number may be different, whatever version you have) and look for
    WINWORD. While you're there, look for OSA.

    If no luck, while still in Windows Explorer, go to the View menu, then
    click Folder Options (near bottom), then click View tab. Check to make
    sure "Show All Files" is enabled. Also, Uncheck "Hide extensions for
    known filetypes". Then, if "Show All Files" wasn't enabled before,
    repeat the efforts to locate the files.

    Report back with your results. Note that you should also have shortcuts
    to individual Office programs in your Start>Programs menu, in the
    Microsoft Office sub-menu. Do you have those shortcuts? If you click
    them, what happens?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    wrote in message
    > Thanks, tried this but havn,t got winword.exe file anywhere in
    > computer is
    > there anything else you can suggest ?
    >
    > "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
    >

    >> "Cazza37" <Cazza37@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then
    >> > my
    >> recycle
    >> > bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document"
    >> > has gone
    >> > too. Thankyou Carolann
    >>
    >> Right-click on the Start button
    >> Choose "Explore"
    >>
    >> Expand the Windows folder
    >> Left-click on the Desktop folder
    >>
    >> Hold down the Ctrl key and press the F key
    >>
    >> In the "Named" box, type winword.exe
    >> Click the "Find Now" button
    >>
    >> When it finds Winword.exe,
    >> right-click on the file name,
    >> hold the mouse button down
    >> and drag to the C:\WINDOWS\Desktop folder
    >>
    >> Release the button and choose
    >> "Create Shortcut Here"
    >>
    >> Close Explorer.
    >>
    >> The shortcut will be back on your Desktop.

Microsoft Word Microsoft Windows