DELETED MICROSOFT WORD

Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then my recycle
bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document" has gone
too. Thankyou Carolann

"Cazza37" <Cazza37@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then my
recycle
> bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document" has gone
> too. Thankyou Carolann

Right-click on the Start button
Choose "Explore"

Expand the Windows folder
Left-click on the Desktop folder

Hold down the Ctrl key and press the F key

In the "Named" box, type winword.exe
Click the "Find Now" button

When it finds Winword.exe,
right-click on the file name,
hold the mouse button down
and drag to the C:\WINDOWS\Desktop folder

Release the button and choose
"Create Shortcut Here"

Close Explorer.

The shortcut will be back on your Desktop.

Actually, for the particular shortcut that is described, the target
should be OSA.EXE. Not sure how it's done in the original
instance--Office, and especially Office on WinXP, can be difficult to
decipher.

Anyway, use the -n switch for the New Document dialogue, the -f switch
for Open Document. My Office Suite is installed to my E:\ drive, and the
command that works looks *exactly* like the following INCLUDING QUOTES:

"E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OSA.EXE" -n

See:
OFF97: What Is the Office Startup Application (OSA) and What Does It Do?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=165071

OFFXP: What Is the Osa.exe File and What Does It Do?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290144

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> "Cazza37" <Cazza37@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then my
> recycle
>> bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document" has
>> gone
>> too. Thankyou Carolann
>
> Right-click on the Start button
> Choose "Explore"
>
> Expand the Windows folder
> Left-click on the Desktop folder
>
> Hold down the Ctrl key and press the F key
>
> In the "Named" box, type winword.exe
> Click the "Find Now" button
>
> When it finds Winword.exe,
> right-click on the file name,
> hold the mouse button down
> and drag to the C:\WINDOWS\Desktop folder
>
> Release the button and choose
> "Create Shortcut Here"
>
> Close Explorer.
>
> The shortcut will be back on your Desktop.

Thanks, tried this but havn,t got winword.exe file anywhere in computer is
there anything else you can suggest ?

"Carolann377`````````````````" <Carolann377@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:711BCC02-DC5A-4922-838F-D22719075A9D@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, tried this but havn,t got winword.exe file anywhere in computer is
> there anything else you can suggest ?

Winword.exe is the Microsoft Word executable.

You originally posted that it had been deleted from your Desktop.
I took that at face value, to mean that the shortcut
had been inadvertently deleted from the Desktop folder.

The situation is now more serious, and begs a question.

What did you do to remove Word?

Do you have the Word or Essentials or Office CD
which you can use to reinstall it?

Try searching for just "WINWORD", without the extension.

Use Windows Explorer to go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10
(number may be different, whatever version you have) and look for
WINWORD. While you're there, look for OSA.

If no luck, while still in Windows Explorer, go to the View menu, then
click Folder Options (near bottom), then click View tab. Check to make
sure "Show All Files" is enabled. Also, Uncheck "Hide extensions for
known filetypes". Then, if "Show All Files" wasn't enabled before,
repeat the efforts to locate the files.

Report back with your results. Note that you should also have shortcuts
to individual Office programs in your Start>Programs menu, in the
Microsoft Office sub-menu. Do you have those shortcuts? If you click
them, what happens?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

wrote in message
> Thanks, tried this but havn,t got winword.exe file anywhere in
> computer is
> there anything else you can suggest ?
>
> "Hugh Candlin" wrote:
>

>> "Cazza37" <Cazza37@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Microsoft word has been deleted in error from my desktop and then
>> > my
>> recycle
>> > bin. Is there anyway I can get it back as my "open new document"
>> > has gone
>> > too. Thankyou Carolann
>>
>> Right-click on the Start button
>> Choose "Explore"
>>
>> Expand the Windows folder
>> Left-click on the Desktop folder
>>
>> Hold down the Ctrl key and press the F key
>>
>> In the "Named" box, type winword.exe
>> Click the "Find Now" button
>>
>> When it finds Winword.exe,
>> right-click on the file name,
>> hold the mouse button down
>> and drag to the C:\WINDOWS\Desktop folder
>>
>> Release the button and choose
>> "Create Shortcut Here"
>>
>> Close Explorer.
>>
>> The shortcut will be back on your Desktop.

TRENDING THREADS