Sign in with
Your question

Modem SLi...is it possible?

Last response: in Components
May 1, 2006 4:11:12 AM

I have been reading about using two modems in an SLi-like setup...one for upload and one for download. First thing, is it possible? and Two, how does it work? I live in a location where no high-speed internet is available so I am looking for solutions to accelerate my connection speed

More about : modem sli

May 1, 2006 4:32:44 AM

man, that brings back some memories. . . shotgunning 2 modems together.

to get it to work, you need 2 modems and 2 phone lines. Your ISP must also support the fact that you will have 2 connections open under 1 account (or you can buy a second one). Once you have all that setup, go to the properties for the dialer and select the "multiilink" tab that will be at the top once your second modem is installed.

That's all i remember as I've had broadband for the last 9 years. good luck to ya
May 17, 2006 1:38:17 PM

Quote:
I have been reading about using two modems in an SLi-like setup...one for upload and one for download. First thing, is it possible? and Two, how does it work? I live in a location where no high-speed internet is available so I am looking for solutions to accelerate my connection speed

I'm assuming you're talking about cable/DSL modems, right? In this case, i've heard rumors that it is possible to sync two modems to a single PC. Try this:

Using a dual LAN motherboard (or a motherboard with two LAN cards), plug each modem into a LAN connection. Then, using the Windows XP "bridge connections" in the network connections area. This way, each assigned IP address from each modem will theoretically aggregate the bandwidth together, forming one large connection.

As far as how much of a boost you'll get is anyone's guess. For instance, if you had a 512k/512k DSL bridged with a 5 Mb/512k Cable connection, you might see a total speed of 5.5Mb down and 1 Mb up.

If you try this, please post and let us know your ACTUAL speeds. Good luck.
Related resources
May 18, 2006 11:35:28 AM

Sure does bring back memories.............none good LOL.
So happy those days are GONE........well at least for me.
May 19, 2006 7:08:13 AM

Two modems running tandem is called shotguning them. The good ole days is right.
May 19, 2006 8:21:37 AM

Four letters that haven't been typed by this keyboard for a very long time are I S D N.

If you can get ISDN you can just forget about all this shotgun modem mumbo jumbo and get faster speed with one modem.

But if you shotgunned two ISDN modems....... :roll:
May 19, 2006 9:33:41 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!!
There are ways of going about this...........
1. you can setup a Linux server and have two ethernet cards, connect / setup 2 broodband connections (preferably from different ISPs - if one fails you still have the other). Re-route the signal as one over your LAN

2. This is by far the easiest way I think.....is a XINCOM Twin WAN Router!!!...........Here's a quick review - http://www.guru3d.com/article/network/103/

A quote from the article "
The XC-DPG402 Twin WAN Router is a high-performance NAT Router providing Broadband Internet Access for your LAN stations, supporting up to two (2) concurrent Broadband Modems. It is a convenient, inexpensive method of providing both increased performance and greater reliability for your Internet connection. Flexible configuration options ............"

There you go......have fun!!!!
May 22, 2006 5:25:52 AM

VDSL is a good option.

52Mbps
May 22, 2006 7:20:35 AM

Quote:

Yes you can do that under Linux and windoze but it's still dialup and it's still going to suck very badly. I would not recommend it.

You are much better off investigating dialup over Cell phone, EVDO or 802.11g/n++ to the nearest neighbor with high speed internet.

With a custom antenna and clear line of sight you can run 802.11x 80some miles.

If you can't do any of the above your option of last resort is getting satellite based inet access where your downloads come in via satellite and your uploads go over the PSTN.
June 9, 2006 2:16:43 AM

My friend has dual 56k modems running together on two phone lines. He gets 12.5KB/sec over dial up. Not too bad. Haha.

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org
June 9, 2006 10:53:50 AM

Quote:
My friend has dual 56k modems running together on two phone lines. He gets 12.5KB/sec over dial up. Not too bad. Haha.

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org

That's great :-D but it's still dialup :-(

Cable gets 600-750KB/sec and up :-D :-D
June 9, 2006 12:35:53 PM

I think satelite can now do both directions.

If anyone wants to do it though, remember it's still satelite, so forget about gaming.

http://www.wildblue.com/
June 9, 2006 1:05:16 PM

Quote:
Sure does bring back memories.............none good LOL.

oh, i kinda like the handshake noise
just the noise, not the speed.
June 10, 2006 12:33:59 AM

Why don't we all read the old 'modem memories' feature from last year.

Ahhh, there's something about modems that broadband just doesn't have.

With a modem you know where you stand - it's 56k and it will only ever be 56k, whereas I ring up my ISP twice a year and get the speed of my connection doubled each time for no extra money (now up to 8mb, hoping 24mb ADSL2 will come to my area soon)
!