Microsoft Encounters error during Windows 98 Update

When attempting to run Windows98 Update I get an error message with
the following information. Has anyone else had this error before and
have any ideas how to correct it ?

Thanks

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 5.51.4807.2300 ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2800.1491 Offset: 00238022
5 answers Last reply
More about microsoft encounters error windows update

    Have you tried IE Repair?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Gizmo" <nospaminnocentcat@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > When attempting to run Windows98 Update I get an error message with
    > the following information. Has anyone else had this error before and
    > have any ideas how to correct it ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 5.51.4807.2300 ModName: mshtml.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2800.1491 Offset: 00238022

    And is that *all* the error message says?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Gizmo" <nospaminnocentcat@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > When attempting to run Windows98 Update I get an error message with
    > the following information. Has anyone else had this error before and
    > have any ideas how to correct it ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 5.51.4807.2300 ModName: mshtml.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2800.1491 Offset: 00238022

    From the (partial) error message you posted, it appears you may be running Dr.
    Watson, which intercepts and interprets error messages. Please turn off Dr. Watson
    so that you can get a more standard "illegal operation" error message, repeat the
    action which causes the error, then when you get an "illegal operation" error
    message, click the "Details" button, and post back with the exact details word for
    word, up to but not including the memory registers.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Gizmo" <nospaminnocentcat@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > When attempting to run Windows98 Update I get an error message with
    > the following information. Has anyone else had this error before and
    > have any ideas how to correct it ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 5.51.4807.2300 ModName: mshtml.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2800.1491 Offset: 00238022

    Thanks for the tip ! That lead me to the solution. When I tried to
    run IE repair I got a message that part of the programs was missing.
    So I reinstalled IE. I was able to run the Windows Updates and access
    the update site with out IE crashing.

    Thanks

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:30:22 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Have you tried IE Repair?

    YW.

    But Glen is on the right track, also. Turn off Dr Watson or whatever it
    is that is intercepting your errors. They're great for techies with
    access to the source code, but not very informative. Easier to find
    answers online using standard Windows error messages.

    SOP is to find out what you can using standard error message, then try
    IE Repair (even if it isn't apparently an IE-related error, since IE is
    well enmeshed in the OS), and then try force-reinstalling IE.

    If none of those steps work, then you really *do* have a problem, <s>.

    --

    > Thanks for the tip ! That lead me to the solution. When I tried to
    > run IE repair I got a message that part of the programs was missing.
    > So I reinstalled IE. I was able to run the Windows Updates and access
    > the update site with out IE crashing.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:30:22 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    > <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Have you tried IE Repair?

Windows 98 Microsoft Error Message Windows