Phone to VOIP

Hi all

I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else,
but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company,
but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone.
I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
possible.
What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.

To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
regular phone line.

Thanks

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

Glitch wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2004 04:17:39 -0700, Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol wrote:

> Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

Skype appears to use proprietary VoIP protocol. How do you terminate this
call in Asterisk then?

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

Glitch <howard@excite.com> writes:

>Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

How do you suggest configuring Asterisk to handle Skype calls?
http://forum.skype.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=295&sid=7ae301894ec5e8bd0bc0547ad362375b

(Note that I'm not suggesting it makes any sense at all for someone
smart enough to use Asterisk to try to weld Skype onto it. I just
think it's misleading to claim Asterisk already handles it.)

--kyler

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:15:53 GMT,
info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.comDmitri wrote:

> Glitch wrote:
>
>> On 21 Oct 2004 04:17:39 -0700, Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol wrote:
>
>> Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/
>
> Skype appears to use proprietary VoIP protocol. How do you terminate this
> call in Asterisk then?

You¡¦re absolutely right; you will not do it if Skype is your application of
choice. But again, your question was: ¡V in your words ¡V ¡§how can VoIP
application be "combined" with a regular phone line¡¨.
Asterisk is definitely an answer to your question. There are many free
VoIP applications on the market to choose from (btw, I don¡¦t think Skype is
the best one; also you can not use any hardware IP phones with it).

I don't believe he was suggesting Skype's involvement. Neither was the
question the way I read it.

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message
> Glitch <howard@excite.com> writes:
>
>>Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/
>
> How do you suggest configuring Asterisk to handle Skype calls?
> http://forum.skype.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=295&sid=7ae301894ec5e8bd0bc0547ad362375b
>
> (Note that I'm not suggesting it makes any sense at all for someone
> smart enough to use Asterisk to try to weld Skype onto it. I just
> think it's misleading to claim Asterisk already handles it.)
>
> --kyler

Thanks guys, you really got me thinking more deeply on the situation.

And to clarify the situation, I mentioned Skype first like my starting
point, not a must. I heard about this "Asterisk", and I'm starting
learning about him right now. Maybe it can fix my problem. The fact is
that I was interested an using also a Palm on the Internal network,
and 2 of my teem mates are in other country, with make me thing
integrating with Skype could be a start.
Lets se what "Asterisk" can do for me.

Thanks all for help.

"Jonathan Roberts" <jmr504@hotmail.com> writes:

>I don't believe he was suggesting Skype's involvement. Neither was the
>question the way I read it.

You're right. I was confused. The (bottom-quoted...) message to which
he replied made that clear. Unfortunately I didn't go that far and
instead confused it with this thread.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1098298962.hu8DpCUzCH%2BulUsSo/xhCg%40bubbanews

Thanks for catching it and correcting me.

And yes, Asterisk is the answer.

--kyler

kontrolt@yahoo.com (Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol) writes:

>The fact is
>that I was interested an using also a Palm on the Internal network,
>and 2 of my teem mates are in other country, with make me thing
>integrating with Skype could be a start.

Stop thinking that!

>Lets se what "Asterisk" can do for me.

Be sure to ask here if you run into anything that makes you think
Asterisk can *not* handle what Skype can.
http://www.voipdaily.com/archives/2004/03/why_skype_is_no.php

As long as we're into peer-to-peer things...also note that Asterisk
now supports DUNDI
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=DUNDi
in addition to ENUM.
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+and+multiple+ENUM+entries
This is unnecessary for handling two teammates but it could come in
handy with larger groups.

--kyler

Kyler:

Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

Thanks!

> "Jonathan Roberts" <jmr504@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>>I don't believe he was suggesting Skype's involvement. Neither was the
>>question the way I read it.
>
> You're right. I was confused. The (bottom-quoted...) message to which
> he replied made that clear. Unfortunately I didn't go that far and
> instead confused it with this thread.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1098298962.hu8DpCUzCH%2BulUsSo/xhCg%40bubbanews
>
> Thanks for catching it and correcting me.
>
> And yes, Asterisk is the answer.
>
> --kyler

"Jonathan Roberts" <jmr504@hotmail.com> writes:

>Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

I've heard good things about one of the books...but I don't recall which
one so I'm not much help. I'm inclined to stumble around for awhile
using 'net resources. I will provide what help I can.

There's a list of Asterisk books here.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

--kyler

Hello, the device you seek is already on the market. Our Nevada group
designs and distributes this product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5728102751&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MESE:IT

"Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol" <kontrolt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
> If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
> the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else,
> but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company,
> but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone.
> I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
> maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
> that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
> possible.
> What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.
>
> To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
> regular phone line.
>
> Thanks

---

> Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

We use asterisk every day between home and office. Someone calls one of
two POTS lines at the office, if it's for me and I'm at home, the call is
transferred to me by the person who answered. A call to our main number
rings phones both at the office and home. Calls to my direct line ring my
desk phone at the office and my SIP phone at home. At each end, one person
answers if the other doesn't. CallerID on both ends. Different messages on
each line go to voicemail which is emailed to me as well as available on
any phone, including a SIP phone from anywhere in the world.

Here are a few good starting points for asterisk:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html

http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/

http://automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

more

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5732848193&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MESE:IT

"Marc H.Popek" <LVMarc@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Hello, the device you seek is already on the market. Our Nevada group
> designs and distributes this product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5728102751&ssPageNam
> e=STRK:MESE:IT
>

> "Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol" <kontrolt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
> > If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
> > the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else,
> > but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company,
> > but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone.
> > I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
> > maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
> > that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
> > possible.
> > What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.
> >
> > To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
> > regular phone line.
> >
> > Thanks
>

> ---

---