New Mouse not working

hi,
friend got an old digital camera that uses 9pin serial, but at
the moment the mouse is taking up that port.
the best solution was to get a new mouse with ps2/usb options
for access.
I bought one and took it there tonight but after trying both ps2 &
usb ports I got no recognition of new mouse at all.
I checked bios for usual pnp & ps2 support, both were enabled.
Right now I am thinking that I just got unlucky and got a duffer
in the mouse purchase. (it happens)
I will return the mouse to the shop for testing on monday unless
anyone here has any other ideas.

...Rex..

For USB devices you must generally load the drivers before connecting the
device. For PS/2 devices you need to make sure the port is active before
plugging the mouse in and starting up Windows, or plug the device in while
the computer is off.

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
> friend got an old digital camera that uses 9pin serial, but at
> the moment the mouse is taking up that port.
> the best solution was to get a new mouse with ps2/usb options
> for access.
> I bought one and took it there tonight but after trying both ps2 &
> usb ports I got no recognition of new mouse at all.
> I checked bios for usual pnp & ps2 support, both were enabled.
> Right now I am thinking that I just got unlucky and got a duffer
> in the mouse purchase. (it happens)
> I will return the mouse to the shop for testing on monday unless
> anyone here has any other ideas.
>
> ..Rex..

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> friend got an old digital camera that uses 9pin serial, but at
> the moment the mouse is taking up that port.
> the best solution was to get a new mouse with ps2/usb options
> for access.

Wire links from cameras to PCs appear often
flaky and hard to configure. A simpler solution
is a card reader, installed as a USB pseudo-drive,
into which you put the camera memory unit.
You have the extra chore of removing the unit
from the camera and putting iit back, but card
readers are simple, reliable and convenient (and
let your friend continue usiing the serial mouse.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs