Final Video card question before I buy

yarricc

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Are there any brand names out there that I should avoid. I have alway used asus video cards in the past and had good luck with them. Currently have one in the system I am replacing, and it is a nice card for its age.

I have my choose of GPUs narrowed down and am ready to buy on payday.....god I can't wait till friday :D :D :D

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
stay away from , hmm

jetway

MSI

but id go For BFG , Powercolor , ATI , Evga , XFX

but it dont really really matter on the Manufacturer

- i think

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I've had bad luck with Powercolor in the past. The fan on my 9800 Pro went out in less than 3 months.

eVGA is awesome in their support, as is BFG. Sapphire has never let me down, either.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I've had bad luck with Powercolor in the past. The fan on my 9800 Pro went out in less than 3 months.

eVGA is awesome in their support, as is BFG. Sapphire has never let me down, either.

from what i've seen powercolor is one of the "cheap" brands out there which usually you would want to avoid unless you're building a computer for your sister's friend or someone like that. Asus is supposed to be good but slightly more expensive (always worth it), gigabyte is still quite good (and relatively cheap), MSI... hmm dunno, winfast (or leadtek) is another one which i'd personally avoid, i hear eVGA is good and sapphire is supposed to be right up there with asus and BFG

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I would avoid PNY because of serious customer service issues. That won't matter if your card works fine, but you might as well have thrown your money in the trash if there are issues with the card.

I would avoid PNY because of serious customer service issues. That won't matter if your card works fine, but you might as well have thrown your money in the trash if there are issues with the card.

I agree. I got burned by PNY once. Never again.

Basically what happened is that my GPU died within 9 months. I registered my video card like any normal person would once it bought it. However, I lost my sales reciept.

PNY will not honor any warranties unless you have the original sales receipt Registering / mailing in the warranty card means sqwat to them.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I Think These Are The Bests :
eVGA , BFG , XFX , Asus , Leadtek , Gigabyte , Gainward ( For nVIDIA Based Graphic Cards )
ATI , HIS , Sapphire , Asus , MSI , Gigabyte ( For ATI Based Graphic Cards )
:twisted: Happy Shopping

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It should be notes that the OEM manufacturer of ATI cards sells the cards to many video card vendors who simply slap a sticker and maybe change the HSF and sells it as their own products.

The OEM manufacturer sells their own video cards under the name "Sapphire".

Interview with Sapphire

This is true. Sapphire, I do believe, makes ATi's reference cards as well as several other OEM manufacturors' cards...

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
If you buy ATI it is best to buy direct from their website as the warrenty returns are quicker. ie they will cross ship your product. The ATI branded cards are great. Nothing wrong with either the saphire or Asus if you find a better price.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I wouldn't buy from the ATI website, it is way too expensive. I have found that Sapphire usually has their cards priced quite low, check newegg (although they won't ship internationally, the bastards).

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I think ordering from a good reseller goes a long way towards having a positive buying experience... especially in cases of DOA where you might not need to bother with a manufacturer.

As far as particular brands, all of us have horror stories to tell about brands that are held in high esteem by the community at large.

yarricc

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I'll be getting the cards from newegg no matter what I decide to buy just case they have great customer service and fast shipping times and great prices.....bought all my other parts there so not gonna stop now