edited applet sysdm.cpl/now computer won"t start.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 25, 2005 4:02:26 AM

I made a BIG mistake and edited the control applet ,"System" or sysdm.cpl.
Now computer will not boot into windows nor safe mode either.I get a
msgsrv32.exe error.
I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
probably isn't the solution anyway.
What can I do? I don't have a win 98 disk or can't remember where it may be.
I do have all the win 98 files on my computer either on the c or d drive.
At last resort I can re install if a command promt would do it.
I never made a recent boot disk.I don't have a backup either.
I do have files I would like to save thru command prompt but need to get the
floppy working in dos.
I will check back this weekend and will also try and save what files I can.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:40:34 PM

I didn't see my post so I reposted but then I saw this original post. I
deleted the second post and hope it's off newsgroup.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:34:20 PM

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message news:o SUpMGZeFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I made a BIG mistake and edited the control applet ,"System" or sysdm.cpl.
> Now computer will not boot into windows nor safe mode either.I get a
> msgsrv32.exe error.

Please explain what you mean by "edited the control applet...".

> I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
> probably isn't the solution anyway.

What happened when you tried to restore the registry, including any error
messages, might be significant.

> What can I do? I don't have a win 98 disk or can't remember where it may be.
> I do have all the win 98 files on my computer either on the c or d drive.
> At last resort I can re install if a command promt would do it.

If you have the Windows 98 files on the hard drive and can boot to a
command prompt, you can probably reinstall Windows by finding and
running the "setup.exe" file.

> I never made a recent boot disk.I don't have a backup either.
> I do have files I would like to save thru command prompt but need to get the
> floppy working in dos.

See http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Ben
June 25, 2005 4:19:06 PM

Please explain what you mean by "edited the control applet...".

I opened sysdm.cpl with wordpad [BIG Mistake] to view it.But made the BIG
mistake and changed II to III because I have a PIII and cpl states PII.

Do you know how to change this back or restore a copy?.

> I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
> probably isn't the solution anyway.

What happened when you tried to restore the registry, including any error
messages, might be significant.

As stated nothing happened .computer would not boot into windows
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:36:51 PM

I don't know whether it cures you, but here is how to do EXTRACT a fresh
copy of Sysdm.cpl in DOS...

(a) DIR /s /a C:\Sysdm.cpl
Will say whether you have it, & where it is. Should be in
"C:\Windows\System"

C:\>DIR /s /a C:\Sysdm.cpl
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
SYSDM CPL 387,072 04-23-99 10:22p SYSDM.CPL
1 file(s) 387,072 bytes

(b)
"EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System <LOC>\Base4.cab Sysdm.cpl"

That is all one line between the quotes with 5 spaces, but do not enter
the quotes. It will offer to overwite, if one is already there.

<LOC> is the location of "Base4.cab". This may be discovered as
follows...

C:\>DIR /s /a C:\base4.cab
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
BASE4 CAB 168,960 04-23-99 10:22p BASE4.CAB
1 file(s) 168,960 bytes

If you have the .cabs on a CD, you will use your CD-ROM drive letter,
instead of "C:\" in that DIR command.

So, in my case, the command is...

"EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\Base4.cab
Sysdm.cpl"

All one line: no quotes: there are 5 spaces in the line, including one
after "Base4.cab".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
news:o SUpMGZeFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| I made a BIG mistake and edited the control applet ,"System" or
sysdm.cpl.
| Now computer will not boot into windows nor safe mode either.I get a
| msgsrv32.exe error.
| I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
| probably isn't the solution anyway.
| What can I do? I don't have a win 98 disk or can't remember where it
may be.
| I do have all the win 98 files on my computer either on the c or d
drive.
| At last resort I can re install if a command promt would do it.
| I never made a recent boot disk.I don't have a backup either.
| I do have files I would like to save thru command prompt but need to
get the
| floppy working in dos.
| I will check back this weekend and will also try and save what files I
can.
| Thanks in advance for any help.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:05:21 PM

If you have a Windows 98 CD, extract a fresh copy of "sysdm.cpl" from
it to a floppy on the computer you are using now. WinZip can handle
cab files if you can find nothing else. Start the problem computer in
DOS, insert the floppy with the new file, type
"copy /y a:\sysdm.cpl c:\windows\system" and press "Enter". Then
remove the floppy and restart the computer.

Ben

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message news:u3Xk6VaeFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Please explain what you mean by "edited the control applet...".
>
> I opened sysdm.cpl with wordpad [BIG Mistake] to view it.But made the BIG
> mistake and changed II to III because I have a PIII and cpl states PII.
>
> Do you know how to change this back or restore a copy?.
>

> > I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
> > probably isn't the solution anyway.
>
> What happened when you tried to restore the registry, including any error
> messages, might be significant.
>
> As stated nothing happened .computer would not boot into windows

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:18:50 PM

> I don't know whether it cures you, but here is how to do EXTRACT a fresh
> copy of Sysdm.cpl in DOS...
extract don't work in DOS. I will try copy command.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:30:12 PM

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > I don't know whether it cures you, but here is how to do EXTRACT a fresh
> > copy of Sysdm.cpl in DOS...
> extract don't work in DOS. I will try copy command.

To all, I wasn't able to copy file to system. The reply was too mamy
parameters
I was able to copy sysdm.cpl from the base4.cab. How do I copy to
c:\windows\system
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:20:07 PM

BEN and PCR, Thanks for your help. With a little tpying correction in DOS I
was able to copy file.
I was able to boot into windows.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:59:48 PM

You are welcome. Glad to hear it. EXTRACT should have worked too. In the
future, best post such plans & machinations to us before implementing
them.

--

!