edited applet sysdm.cpl/now computer won"t start.

I made a BIG mistake and edited the control applet ,"System" or sysdm.cpl.
Now computer will not boot into windows nor safe mode either.I get a
msgsrv32.exe error.
I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
probably isn't the solution anyway.
What can I do? I don't have a win 98 disk or can't remember where it may be.
I do have all the win 98 files on my computer either on the c or d drive.
At last resort I can re install if a command promt would do it.
I never made a recent boot disk.I don't have a backup either.
I do have files I would like to save thru command prompt but need to get the
floppy working in dos.
I will check back this weekend and will also try and save what files I can.
Thanks in advance for any help.
9 answers Last reply
More about edited applet sysdm computer start

    I didn't see my post so I reposted but then I saw this original post. I
    deleted the second post and hope it's off newsgroup.

    "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message news:OSUpMGZeFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I made a BIG mistake and edited the control applet ,"System" or sysdm.cpl.
    > Now computer will not boot into windows nor safe mode either.I get a
    > msgsrv32.exe error.

    Please explain what you mean by "edited the control applet...".

    > I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
    > probably isn't the solution anyway.

    What happened when you tried to restore the registry, including any error
    messages, might be significant.

    > What can I do? I don't have a win 98 disk or can't remember where it may be.
    > I do have all the win 98 files on my computer either on the c or d drive.
    > At last resort I can re install if a command promt would do it.

    If you have the Windows 98 files on the hard drive and can boot to a
    command prompt, you can probably reinstall Windows by finding and
    running the "setup.exe" file.

    > I never made a recent boot disk.I don't have a backup either.
    > I do have files I would like to save thru command prompt but need to get the
    > floppy working in dos.

    See http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Ben

    Please explain what you mean by "edited the control applet...".

    I opened sysdm.cpl with wordpad [BIG Mistake] to view it.But made the BIG
    mistake and changed II to III because I have a PIII and cpl states PII.

    Do you know how to change this back or restore a copy?.

    > I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
    > probably isn't the solution anyway.

    What happened when you tried to restore the registry, including any error
    messages, might be significant.

    As stated nothing happened .computer would not boot into windows

    I don't know whether it cures you, but here is how to do EXTRACT a fresh
    copy of Sysdm.cpl in DOS...

    (a) DIR /s /a C:\Sysdm.cpl
    Will say whether you have it, & where it is. Should be in
    "C:\Windows\System"

    C:\>DIR /s /a C:\Sysdm.cpl
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    SYSDM CPL 387,072 04-23-99 10:22p SYSDM.CPL
    1 file(s) 387,072 bytes

    (b)
    "EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System <LOC>\Base4.cab Sysdm.cpl"

    That is all one line between the quotes with 5 spaces, but do not enter
    the quotes. It will offer to overwite, if one is already there.

    <LOC> is the location of "Base4.cab". This may be discovered as
    follows...

    C:\>DIR /s /a C:\base4.cab
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    BASE4 CAB 168,960 04-23-99 10:22p BASE4.CAB
    1 file(s) 168,960 bytes

    If you have the .cabs on a CD, you will use your CD-ROM drive letter,
    instead of "C:\" in that DIR command.

    So, in my case, the command is...

    "EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\Base4.cab
    Sysdm.cpl"

    All one line: no quotes: there are 5 spaces in the line, including one
    after "Base4.cab".

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
    | I made a BIG mistake and edited the control applet ,"System" or
    sysdm.cpl.
    | Now computer will not boot into windows nor safe mode either.I get a
    | msgsrv32.exe error.
    | I can boot into command prompt.Restoring registry didn't work but that
    | probably isn't the solution anyway.
    | What can I do? I don't have a win 98 disk or can't remember where it
    may be.
    | I do have all the win 98 files on my computer either on the c or d
    drive.
    | At last resort I can re install if a command promt would do it.
    | I never made a recent boot disk.I don't have a backup either.
    | I do have files I would like to save thru command prompt but need to
    get the
    | floppy working in dos.
    | I will check back this weekend and will also try and save what files I
    can.
    | Thanks in advance for any help.

    If you have a Windows 98 CD, extract a fresh copy of "sysdm.cpl" from
    it to a floppy on the computer you are using now. WinZip can handle
    cab files if you can find nothing else. Start the problem computer in
    DOS, insert the floppy with the new file, type
    "copy /y a:\sysdm.cpl c:\windows\system" and press "Enter". Then
    remove the floppy and restart the computer.

    Ben

    > I don't know whether it cures you, but here is how to do EXTRACT a fresh
    > copy of Sysdm.cpl in DOS...
    extract don't work in DOS. I will try copy command.

    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > > I don't know whether it cures you, but here is how to do EXTRACT a fresh
    > > copy of Sysdm.cpl in DOS...
    > extract don't work in DOS. I will try copy command.

    To all, I wasn't able to copy file to system. The reply was too mamy
    parameters
    I was able to copy sysdm.cpl from the base4.cab. How do I copy to
    c:\windows\system

    BEN and PCR, Thanks for your help. With a little tpying correction in DOS I
    was able to copy file.
    I was able to boot into windows.

    You are welcome. Glad to hear it. EXTRACT should have worked too. In the
    future, best post such plans & machinations to us before implementing
    them.

    --
    | BEN and PCR, Thanks for your help. With a little tpying correction in
    DOS I
    | was able to copy file.
    | I was able to boot into windows.

Computers Boot Command Prompt Windows