Upgrade windows 98 to windows xp

Don't know if this is the right group.If not please tell me where to go for
the answer to this question.
I have upgraded my Compaq Laptop to windows xp. Now I have lost my modem.
When I went back to window 98 is was still there. Everything else is working
in XP. If I put a external modem will it work ? Or can some one help me fix
it..Sorry this more than one question.
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade windows windows

    What do you mean "upgrade"? Sounds to me like you did a dual
    installation, since you say you were able to go back to Windows 98. When
    you Upgrade to XP from 98, 98 disappears entirely. (Or do you mean you
    uninstalled XP to get back to 98?)

    What do you mean "lost" the modem? Is it listed in Device Manager?
    Regardless, figure out what modem you have, then go to the
    manufacturer's site and see if there's an XP driver for it. If the modem
    is built in, the Compaq site should have a way to determine what modem
    it is (based upon the serial number or some such) and then you can
    determine if there are XP drivers for it. If the modem is a PCMCIA card,
    then you'll have to determine from that what make/model it is.

    If the modem is listed in Device Manager, try removing it and then
    restarting to see if it's redetected and then installed properly. If
    that fails, don't remove it again until you follow the same steps I
    outlined above. Once you have the drivers installation package on hand,
    then remove the modem and immediately install the new drivers *without*
    first rebooting.

    If you need more help, do what you can to determine the make/model of
    your modem (looking at how it's listed on the WIn98 side is another way
    that might work.) Let us know what you find. Or, for a built-in modem,
    give us all the data on your machine--model number, serial number, any
    other identifiers.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    In news:BA50F9BC-363F-439B-8F53-C836A4C86965@microsoft.com,
    Dusty <Dusty@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Don't know if this is the right group.If not please tell me where to
    > go for the answer to this question.
    > I have upgraded my Compaq Laptop to windows xp. Now I have lost my
    > modem. When I went back to window 98 is was still there. Everything
    > else is working in XP. If I put a external modem will it work ? Or
    > can some one help me fix it..Sorry this more than one question.
    > thanks

    There likely isn't a driver for XP and your modem. You can try a 2k driver
    through as those often work else a PCMCIA card (or what ever type of cards
    your laptop uses) will likely do the trick for you.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    > I have upgraded my Compaq Laptop to windows xp. Now I have lost my modem.
    > When I went back to window 98 is was still there. Everything else is
    working
    > in XP. If I put a external modem will it work ? Or can some one help me
    fix
    > it.

    Have you installed the drivers for your modem in XP?

Windows 98 Windows XP Windows