nihonto

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Was wondering what my internal temperature was on my computer so I downloaded a program to monitor it through windows, it said my CPU was 177 degrees F and that anything above 155 degrees F is bad.

But when I open it up, my processor and everything seems fairly cool, around 100 degrees F maybe, just not very hot. Infact the only things hot in my computer seem to be my PSU and my harddrive.

These are readings with nothing running on my computer except my web browser.

Is there anything that I can add to make my CPU cooler, is my CPU normal at that temperature, I have no problems and like I said it doesn't feel hot.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
That temp is to high.
What programme are you using to check the temps?
I like Everest myself. Everest Home Ed Everest Ultimate Ed

My CPU sits around 33'c / 91'f idle.

How long ago did you put your system together? Might need to reapply the thermale paste, use Arctic Siler 5.
How is the ventilation of your case? Fans, clean heat sinks and case.

nihonto

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I just used EVEREST and this is what I got.

Motherboard 51 °C (124 °F)
CPU 80 °C (176 °F)
WDC WD2500JS-55MHB0 72 °C (162 °F)

My computer is about 1 or 2 years old. I don't understand how it's this high, it doesn't even feel hot..

It's totally clean inside, basically NO dust, only a little bit which wouldn't cause any problems.

My BIOS has got to be reading my temperatures wrong.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Don't panic quite yet. Sometimes your mobo sensor isn't calibrated very well. Check the temps in the BIOS.
What heatsink/cpu are you using?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Do you have the latest bios update for your motherboard?

If the paste between the heatsink and CPU has dried, you will get a high CPU reading but a cool heatsink. You should notice some performance problems with this problem.
If this is the case get some Arctic Silver 5 and clean the old stuff off and put some new paste on.

Or it could be as Human1 says, just a MoBo sensor problem.
Such a high hard drive temp supports this some also.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
You can check the hd by just touching it, but don't touch the bottom of the drive while it's running. It will kill it. Just some personal experience.
You can touch the top of the drive safely, though.
Make sure your BIOS is correct. My board had an update that fixed a temperature monitoring problem.

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Were those temperatures always that high, or did you just start looking at the temperatures recently? I had a problem with my P4, where I stuck the stock heatsink in after re-applying new thermal paste because I cleanned out the old because there was dust everywhere under the heatsink, but I was getting 80 C idle and 96+ C under some load. After a while, I turned it off, and flipped the heatsink 180 degrees. While I clamped it down I heard a popping noise, as if it snapped in place, now my temperatures are in the 70s C under load and 50s C idle, which is much better than when that happened. The odd thing is when I re-inserted the heatsink when it had those high temperatures, it was the same way I had it originally before I cleaned it out.

The problem you might be having is that the fan isn't spinning fast enough or the heatsink didn't snap in properly.

nihonto

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Motherboard 55 °C (131 °F)
CPU 39 °C (102 °F)
WDC WD2500JS-55MHB0 76 °C (169 °F)

These are my temperatures while playing Half Life 2, my CPU dropped by 70 degrees F from when it was idle, but now my harddrive is very hot....

is my temperature reader just gay?

i dont think my fan is spinning enough
how do i icnrease it? it says my fan goes about 3500 RPM

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Something is just buggy, I think. 'Course it's not my rig, so I can afford to make that guess :D . I think your temp sensors are whacked. There's no way your hard drive is really that hot. Your northbridge (that's what I assume you mobo reading is) is also way beyond belief.
Try opening the case and blowing a desk fan into the case for a bit, see what the reading say then.

nihonto

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I think my Harddrive and mtoherboard readings are normal, but my CPU i actually fairly cool.

Here are my new readings with a desktop fan blowing on my computer on high for about 5-10 minutes.

Motherboard 39 °C (102 °F)
CPU 26 °C (79 °F)
WDC WD2500JS-55MHB0 58 °C (136 °F)

I'm going to get an aluminum HDD cooler tomorrow, anything else I should get to cool my stuff down?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
I'm going to get an aluminum HDD cooler tomorrow, anything else I should get to cool my stuff down?
How's the case fans? Maybe a better one? 8)
Did they use a decent cooler on the chipset also?

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
You might have bad air cirulation inside the case. Dust can be clogging the metal grates or there are wires all over the place which should be tucked away neatly. Or maybe the case sucks and has bad circulation because there aren't enough fan ports or fans.