Program won't install

I recently did a clean install of Windows98SE on a Dell XPS T 550. PIII 550
mgh.

The new install was done due to intermittent lock ups and particularly slow
down and hanging due to McAfee.

I did the install, added drivers, applied Microsoft Security patches from
Security Patch "2004" Security updates then went to MS site and applied
whatever patches MS said I needed.

Then Installed MS Office 2000 Premium Disk One and applied all security
patches for office 2000 (SP3).

Then I downloaded and installed the trial version of eTrust EZ Armor .

Then put EZ Armor in snooze mode and loaded most of the balance of my
programs.

Now the problem:

Went to install the program Adobe Photo Shop Album Ver 1.0, which by the way
was on the PC and working well prior to the new installation.

This is the error message:

"This operating system is not supported be Adobe Photo Shop Album. We
support Windows98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP"

Well the obvious question is "WHY".

I just installed win98SE !

Again, Thanks in advance for suggestions.

BL

When you install the Microsoft Security CD, 98SE will go from A to B

I remember someone changed it from a "B" to an "A" in order to install something that did not recognize their version.
If you to do so, remember to change it back to B afterwards
Check the SubVersionNumber
if B , then change to A to try the install, then change back to B .
Don't forget to backup the registry first.

It is under this key:
----------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"SubVersionNumber"="B"

-------------
--
mae

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%2338fRdgeFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| I recently did a clean install of Windows98SE on a Dell XPS T 550. PIII 550
| mgh.
|
| The new install was done due to intermittent lock ups and particularly slow
| down and hanging due to McAfee.
|
| I did the install, added drivers, applied Microsoft Security patches from
| Security Patch "2004" Security updates then went to MS site and applied
| whatever patches MS said I needed.
|
| Then Installed MS Office 2000 Premium Disk One and applied all security
| patches for office 2000 (SP3).
|
| Then I downloaded and installed the trial version of eTrust EZ Armor .
|
| Then put EZ Armor in snooze mode and loaded most of the balance of my
| programs.
|
| Now the problem:
|
| Went to install the program Adobe Photo Shop Album Ver 1.0, which by the way
| was on the PC and working well prior to the new installation.
|
| This is the error message:
|
| "This operating system is not supported be Adobe Photo Shop Album. We
| support Windows98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP"
|
| Well the obvious question is "WHY".
|
| I just installed win98SE !
|
| Again, Thanks in advance for suggestions.
|
| BL

THAT DID IT.!
Thank you very much.. If ever in Baltimore, let me know and lunch is on me.

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
When you install the Microsoft Security CD, 98SE will go from A to B

I remember someone changed it from a "B" to an "A" in order to install
something that did not recognize their version.
If you to do so, remember to change it back to B afterwards
Check the SubVersionNumber
if B , then change to A to try the install, then change back to B .
Don't forget to backup the registry first.

It is under this key:
----------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"SubVersionNumber"="B"

-------------
--
mae

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I recently did a clean install of Windows98SE on a Dell XPS T 550. PIII
550
| mgh.
|
| The new install was done due to intermittent lock ups and particularly
slow
| down and hanging due to McAfee.
|
| I did the install, added drivers, applied Microsoft Security patches from
| Security Patch "2004" Security updates then went to MS site and applied
| whatever patches MS said I needed.
|
| Then Installed MS Office 2000 Premium Disk One and applied all security
| patches for office 2000 (SP3).
|
| Then I downloaded and installed the trial version of eTrust EZ Armor .
|
| Then put EZ Armor in snooze mode and loaded most of the balance of my
| programs.
|
| Now the problem:
|
| Went to install the program Adobe Photo Shop Album Ver 1.0, which by the
way
| was on the PC and working well prior to the new installation.
|
| This is the error message:
|
| "This operating system is not supported be Adobe Photo Shop Album. We
| support Windows98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP"
|
| Well the obvious question is "WHY".
|
| I just installed win98SE !
|
| Again, Thanks in advance for suggestions.
|
| BL

YW, you gave very good detail.
Not been to Baltimore for awhile. Lived in Frederick few months (58) and my
very first job application was to Perry Point.
--

| THAT DID IT.!
| Thank you very much.. If ever in Baltimore, let me know and lunch is on
me.

| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| When you install the Microsoft Security CD, 98SE will go from A to B
|
| I remember someone changed it from a "B" to an "A" in order to install
| something that did not recognize their version.
| If you to do so, remember to change it back to B afterwards
| Check the SubVersionNumber
| if B , then change to A to try the install, then change back to B .
| Don't forget to backup the registry first.
|
| It is under this key:
| ----------------
| REGEDIT4
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
| "SubVersionNumber"="B"
|
| -------------
| --
| mae
|
| "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| | I recently did a clean install of Windows98SE on a Dell XPS T 550. PIII
| 550
| | mgh.
| |
| | The new install was done due to intermittent lock ups and particularly
| slow
| | down and hanging due to McAfee.
| |
| | I did the install, added drivers, applied Microsoft Security patches
from
| | Security Patch "2004" Security updates then went to MS site and applied
| | whatever patches MS said I needed.
| |
| | Then Installed MS Office 2000 Premium Disk One and applied all security
| | patches for office 2000 (SP3).
| |
| | Then I downloaded and installed the trial version of eTrust EZ Armor .
| |
| | Then put EZ Armor in snooze mode and loaded most of the balance of my
| | programs.
| |
| | Now the problem:
| |
| | Went to install the program Adobe Photo Shop Album Ver 1.0, which by the
| way
| | was on the PC and working well prior to the new installation.
| |
| | This is the error message:
| |
| | "This operating system is not supported be Adobe Photo Shop Album. We
| | support Windows98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP"
| |
| | Well the obvious question is "WHY".
| |
| | I just installed win98SE !
| |
| | Again, Thanks in advance for suggestions.
| |
| | BL
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

MedRxMan wrote:

> THAT DID IT.!
> Thank you very much.. If ever in Baltimore, let me know and lunch is on me.
>
> "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> When you install the Microsoft Security CD, 98SE will go from A to B
>>
>> I remember someone changed it from a "B" to an "A" in order to install
>> something that did not recognize their version.
>> If you to do so, remember to change it back to B afterwards
>> Check the SubVersionNumber
>> if B , then change to A to try the install, then change back to B .
>> Don't forget to backup the registry first.
>>
>> It is under this key:
>> ----------------
>> REGEDIT4
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
>> "SubVersionNumber"="B"

Ok, so it worked. And good that it worked of course.
But my question is, ¿why did it work?

If an installer bothers to check SubVersionNumber, wouldn't any
one-character ASCII string look as wrong as any other?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 98"
"Version"="Windows 98"
"VersionNumber"="4.10.2222"
"SubVersionNumber"=" A "

Are there Win98's out there with, "SubVersionNumber"="A", without the
spaces? ¿Win98FE perhaps?, as i haven't been able to check since i read
the above.

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

"... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
| MedRxMan wrote:
|
| > THAT DID IT.!
| > Thank you very much.. If ever in Baltimore, let me know and lunch is
on me.

| > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote:
| >
| >> When you install the Microsoft Security CD, 98SE will go from A to
| >>
| >> I remember someone changed it from a "B" to an "A" in order to
install
| >> something that did not recognize their version.
| >> If you to do so, remember to change it back to B afterwards
| >> Check the SubVersionNumber
| >> if B , then change to A to try the install, then change back to
B .
| >> Don't forget to backup the registry first.
| >>
| >> It is under this key:
| >> ----------------
| >> REGEDIT4
| >>
| >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
| >> "SubVersionNumber"="B"
|
| Ok, so it worked. And good that it worked of course.
| But my question is, ¿why did it work?
|
| If an installer bothers to check SubVersionNumber, wouldn't any
| one-character ASCII string look as wrong as any other?
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
| "ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 98"
| "Version"="Windows 98"
| "VersionNumber"="4.10.2222"
| "SubVersionNumber"=" A "
|
| Are there Win98's out there with, "SubVersionNumber"="A", without the
| spaces? ¿Win98FE perhaps?, as i haven't been able to check since i
read
| the above.

Mine is like yours: " A ". Judging only from MedRxMan's experience,
seems the blanks are stripped when checking version. I do know, when the
thing changes SubVersionNumber to a "B", the blanks also are removed.

| --
| Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
|
| Please followup in newsgroup.
| E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Does it really matter why it worked ? Someone(Mae in this case) was aware of
a "hotfix" and issue was resolved.
"... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
> MedRxMan wrote:
>
>> THAT DID IT.!
>> Thank you very much.. If ever in Baltimore, let me know and lunch is on
>> me.
>>
>> "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When you install the Microsoft Security CD, 98SE will go from A to B
>>>
>>> I remember someone changed it from a "B" to an "A" in order to install
>>> something that did not recognize their version.
>>> If you to do so, remember to change it back to B afterwards
>>> Check the SubVersionNumber
>>> if B , then change to A to try the install, then change back to B .
>>> Don't forget to backup the registry first.
>>>
>>> It is under this key:
>>> ----------------
>>> REGEDIT4
>>>
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
>>> "SubVersionNumber"="B"
>
> Ok, so it worked. And good that it worked of course.
> But my question is, ¿why did it work?
>
> If an installer bothers to check SubVersionNumber, wouldn't any
> one-character ASCII string look as wrong as any other?
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
> "ProductName"="Microsoft Windows 98"
> "Version"="Windows 98"
> "VersionNumber"="4.10.2222"
> "SubVersionNumber"=" A "
>
> Are there Win98's out there with, "SubVersionNumber"="A", without the
> spaces? ¿Win98FE perhaps?, as i haven't been able to check since i read
> the above.
>
> --
> Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
>
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

I have '98FE without the spaces for A.
'98SE is B - no spaces.
--
mae

mae wrote:

> I have '98FE without the spaces for A.
> '98SE is B - no spaces.

Ok, that explains it then. Thanks for confirming.

--

MedRxman wrote:

> Does it really matter why it worked ? Someone(Mae in this case) was aware of
> a "hotfix" and issue was resolved.

For what you wanted to achieve, not in the slightest.