Drive not showing

Using Win 98 with all updates.

Have added a Dynex external usb CD-RW which will not show up in EXPLORER or
MY COMPUTER. It is listed in device manager and I have copied a music cd to
the drive via media player which identifies it as F:\ through
TOOLS/OPTIONS/DEVICES but once copied using FILE/OPEN shows that the CD-RW
drive is not mapped. Even my creative labs cd player automatically finds and
produces a track listing from the drive and plays the tracks. I have a
feeling that somewhere it was possible to define a maximum number of drive
letters which defaults to A:\ - Z:\ I may have changed this to A:\ - E:\
and now I need F:\

The USB drive is USB 2 running in a USB 1 environment but it came supplied
with a win98usb2 driver and it claims to be usb1 compatible.

MS system information identifies the CD-RW DX-ECDRW100 and a USB mass
storage device both with no errors.

Just seems to not get mapped via explorer and I should be able to drag &
drop to the new drive.

Many thanks

Tim Whiteaway
3 answers Last reply
More about drive showing

    TweakUI is an application that will let you set max drives.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190643
    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "Tim Whiteaway" <tim@ga98tew.eurobell.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Using Win 98 with all updates.
    >
    > Have added a Dynex external usb CD-RW which will not show up in EXPLORER
    > or
    > MY COMPUTER. It is listed in device manager and I have copied a music cd
    > the drive via media player which identifies it as F:\ through
    > TOOLS/OPTIONS/DEVICES but once copied using FILE/OPEN shows that the CD-RW
    > drive is not mapped. Even my creative labs cd player automatically finds
    > and
    > produces a track listing from the drive and plays the tracks. I have a
    > feeling that somewhere it was possible to define a maximum number of drive
    > letters which defaults to A:\ - Z:\ I may have changed this to A:\ - E:\
    > and now I need F:\
    >
    > The USB drive is USB 2 running in a USB 1 environment but it came supplied
    > with a win98usb2 driver and it claims to be usb1 compatible.
    >
    > MS system information identifies the CD-RW DX-ECDRW100 and a USB mass
    > storage device both with no errors.
    >
    > Just seems to not get mapped via explorer and I should be able to drag &
    > drop to the new drive.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Tim Whiteaway

    If BIOS sees it, it is a Windows problem, just as you suspect.

    (a) START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt
    (b) MEM /D /P
    NOTE: /P causes it to PAUSE after each page. Hit any key to
    continue.
    (c) In the "Upper Memory Detail" section, do you see "LASTDRIVE=Z"?

    Here is what mine looks like...
    C:\>MEM /D /P
    Upper Memory Detail:
    2,288 (2K) LASTDRIVE=Z

    If you don't see that, then "START button, Run, SysEdit" & look in
    Config.sys for a "Lastdrive=". Remove it, & Lastdrive=Z will be set as
    default by IO.sys.

    ........Quote C:\Windows\Config.txt........
    LASTDRIVE/LASTDRIVEHIGH
    =======================
    This command specifies the maximum number of drives you can
    access. Use the LASTDRIVEHIGH command to load the LASTDRIVE
    data structures in the upper memory area. You can use these
    commands only in your Config.sys file.

    The value you specify represents the last
    valid drive that MS-DOS is to recognize.

    Syntax

    LASTDRIVE=x
    LASTDRIVEHIGH=x

    Parameter

    Specifies a drive letter in the range A through Z.
    ......EOQ......................

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Tim Whiteaway" <tim@ga98tew.eurobell.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Using Win 98 with all updates.
    |
    | Have added a Dynex external usb CD-RW which will not show up in
    EXPLORER or
    | MY COMPUTER. It is listed in device manager and I have copied a music
    cd to
    | the drive via media player which identifies it as F:\ through
    | TOOLS/OPTIONS/DEVICES but once copied using FILE/OPEN shows that the
    CD-RW
    | drive is not mapped. Even my creative labs cd player automatically
    finds and
    | produces a track listing from the drive and plays the tracks. I have a
    | feeling that somewhere it was possible to define a maximum number of
    drive
    | letters which defaults to A:\ - Z:\ I may have changed this to A:\ -
    E:\
    | and now I need F:\
    |
    | The USB drive is USB 2 running in a USB 1 environment but it came
    supplied
    | with a win98usb2 driver and it claims to be usb1 compatible.
    |
    | MS system information identifies the CD-RW DX-ECDRW100 and a USB mass
    | storage device both with no errors.
    |
    | Just seems to not get mapped via explorer and I should be able to drag
    &
    | drop to the new drive.
    |
    | Many thanks
    |
    | Tim Whiteaway

    If what the others suggest doesn't work, try finding a driver for the
    thing and installing it.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor