Sign in with
Your question

I am having problems running some games with evga 7600gt.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2006 5:37:59 AM

I am having problems running my 7600gt with these games

dugeonseige2, warcraft3, Oblivion, warhammer dawn of war.

but these games run fine:>Fear, Rfonline, neverwinternights, bauldersgate.

The problem is that i would run these games for 5-10 min then they would freeze for 1-3 minutes then run for 5 min then freeze up again for 1-3 minutes.I dont know what to do, i have the latest video drivers and directx 9. Need some help!!!!

Mobo:asus A8N-VM
CPU:amd a64 3200+ venice core
video card:evga 7600 gt 560/1400
harddrive:maxtor sata 100gb
ram:corsair value ram 1 gb stick pc3200 400mhz
May 1, 2006 6:26:41 AM

First, to be certain the most recent official forceware driver is 84.21. Make sure you got that.

Then I'd ask the most obvious. Are you running anything else on your system at the same time?

I play Warcraft 3 often. With that card you should be able to run the game at the highest settings with zero trouble whatsoever. WC3 won't tax your vid card at all.

I also play Oblivion but being that you're having trouble with WC3 I think you're trouble may lie elsewhere than the card.

If you get things running smooth on the other games I suggets reading this:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

for info on how to get the most out of your card with that game.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the MB as well. I know you say you've got em, but triple check. Freezing shouldn't happen with that card and the right hardware drivers.
a c 359 U Graphics card
May 1, 2006 6:33:52 AM

The inside of the case may not be getting enough airflow, meaning your GPU may be overheating. How many fans do you have?

You may want to underclock the core to 525MHz and the memory to 1350MHz.

You also may want to consider an aftermarket heatsink fan like the Zalman VF900, but it does cost $55 shipped.
Related resources
May 1, 2006 6:39:21 AM

Quote:
The inside of the case may not be getting enough airflow, meaning your GPU may be overheating. How many fans do you have?

You may want to underclock the core to 525MHz and the memory to 1350MHz.

You also may want to consider an aftermarket heatsink fan like the Zalman VF900, but it does cost $55 shipped.

That's true. To check your vid card temp goto display properties > settings > advanced> geforce 7600 GT > Temperature Settings.

I generally hover in the low 40s celcius. Warcraft 3 will not raise that temp much if at all. I've not checked my temp after or during Oblivion.
May 1, 2006 6:51:46 AM

When i play oblivion it gets to 50 to 52 C'
a c 359 U Graphics card
May 1, 2006 7:05:55 AM

I haven't play Oblivion yet; waiting for an official patch to improve performance and bugs. But I have read several posts that the GPU runs hotter in Oblivion than other games; around 5'C to 8'C hotter.

Like I said try underclocking because I think your real problem is due to overheating. Also play with you PC case open and see if you get the same problems.
May 1, 2006 7:10:17 AM

how do i down clock my video card.
May 1, 2006 7:43:24 AM

Use RivaTuner ...
May 1, 2006 8:08:57 AM

I found out where my problem lies.
It is the video card. I took out my 7600 and turned my old intergrated graphics back on there is no freezing up at all.

Since it is my video card what should i do.
May 1, 2006 1:40:48 PM

Exchange it.
a c 359 U Graphics card
May 1, 2006 2:25:46 PM

Download RivaTuner here.

Also play with the case open. You may have an overheating issue; i.e. the inside of your case is too hot. You may need to add another fan.

If the games studder or the PC crashes even after playing with the case open and underclocking the 7600Gt, then you need to exchange your GPU.
May 1, 2006 5:48:10 PM

Quote:
I found out where my problem lies.
It is the video card. I took out my 7600 and turned my old intergrated graphics back on there is no freezing up at all.

Since it is my video card what should i do.

Call EVGA tech support and explain your problem. Did you check your temps? What are they? I still am thinking it's not your card but a system or software issue you have. That you can play some games no problem and not others sounds very much like a software issue to me.
May 2, 2006 4:16:58 PM

i have the latest drivers and my temp is 45-50'c when not playing games.
May 2, 2006 10:34:31 PM

Quote:
What are they? I still am thinking it's not your card but a system or software issue you have. That you can play some games no problem and not others sounds very much like a software issue to me.

I agree. An overheating issue doesn't make sense if FEAR runs fine but WC3 doesn't. If his computer is having heating issues in WC3 to the point that it freezes up, then it should catch fire when he plays FEAR.

It's possible that your hard drive has that "not so fresh" feeling and could benefit from starting over.
May 2, 2006 10:38:05 PM

Are you sure? Because when I turn my intergrated graphics on then the problem is fine. But if i do that I have to deal with a slow intergrated graphics then. I rather would have the 7600gt running then that.
I was talking to the tech support for evga. They told me it wasnt a heating problem and that I should try 3dmark06 then call them back up.
May 2, 2006 10:45:51 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? Because when I turn my intergrated graphics on then the problem is fine.

I'm never sure until it's fixed.

It's just a very strange issue, really. I don't see why it would play some games that require more muscle and not play some that require less. I guess it couldn't hurt to remove all of your drivers (use drivercleaner and be sure to follow the instructions to the letter) and reinstall your drivers. After you're reinstalled, be sure to disable your integrated graphics (if you aren't already), as that can sometimes cause conflicts.
!