Occasional single beep?

I know this is pretty much off topic, but wondered if someone could
tell me which newsgroup has the hardware/repair experts. Or maybe
someone here knows the answer.

Occasionally, usually when there is a good bit of activity, such as
when watching an mpeg video, I get a single beep from the case
speaker. Nothing else happens, and the computer continues to run
with no problems.

I had thought about temperature, but it seems to be well within the
normal range.

Could it be a power supply problem - voltage dropping below spec?
RAM errors?

Any suggestions?

Well, if it matters, this is an AOPEN MX3W motherboard (Intel 810
chipset) with an Award BIOS. The manuals say nothing about this.
4 answers Last reply
More about occasional single beep

    Whether or not yours is a BIOS beep, I do not know, BUT here are URLs
    I've collected here on BIOS beeping...

    http://sysopt.earthweb.com/biosbmc.html BIOS beeps
    http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/hardware/beepcodes/1.htm
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
    http://www.tcwo.com/support/new/beeps.htm BIOS beeps
    http://www.bioscentral.com/ BIOS Central
    http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,2299,s%3D1005%26a%3D1614,00.asp
    BIOS Info
    http://www.itcp.net/~awsh/ BIOS & hardware Optimization Guide
    ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctbios15.zip ctbios Identify BIOS
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/ BIOS manipulator, Password recoverer

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Peabody" <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | I know this is pretty much off topic, but wondered if someone could
    | tell me which newsgroup has the hardware/repair experts. Or maybe
    | someone here knows the answer.
    |
    | Occasionally, usually when there is a good bit of activity, such as
    | when watching an mpeg video, I get a single beep from the case
    | speaker. Nothing else happens, and the computer continues to run
    | with no problems.
    |
    | I had thought about temperature, but it seems to be well within the
    | normal range.
    |
    | Could it be a power supply problem - voltage dropping below spec?
    | RAM errors?
    |
    | Any suggestions?
    |
    | Well, if it matters, this is an AOPEN MX3W motherboard (Intel 810
    | chipset) with an Award BIOS. The manuals say nothing about this.

    A BIOS beep would only occur during boot, but there may be a setting in the BIOS for
    some alarm (maybe why you thought of the temperature) which may be what you are
    hearing....though I don't think it would be just a single beep.

    It could be a beep from some background program. What is showing in the Close
    Program box if you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete when the beep occurs?

    Does it occur in Safe Mode? Does it occur if you do a clean boot?

    How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926

    "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
    http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm