Reinstall Windows 98

Hi,
I have a compaq where i installed Linux. I want to uninstall linux and
reinstall Windows 98.
I run FDISK, formated the disk in 1 partition and run setup.exe to install
w98. The installation goes fine, asks for the CD key, starts to copy the
files but after a while it gives me a Kernel Error. If I start the computer
again, it starts with Linux!
Can someone help me with this? I want to clean the Linux OS and start with
W98.

Tkx.
Barbara

"Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a compaq where i installed Linux. I want to uninstall linux and
> reinstall Windows 98.
> I run FDISK, formated the disk in 1 partition and run setup.exe to install
> w98. The installation goes fine, asks for the CD key, starts to copy the
> files but after a while it gives me a Kernel Error. If I start the
computer
> again, it starts with Linux!

Apparently the hard drive retains Linux boot code.
You should be able to overwrite this by booting
from your Win98 floppy and
A:SYS C:
which copies bootstrap instructions from the
floppy to the hard drive.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

How to Remove Linux and Install Windows on Your Computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=247804

How do I remove Linux and install Windows.:
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Barbara wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a compaq where i installed Linux. I want to uninstall linux and
> reinstall Windows 98.
> I run FDISK, formated the disk in 1 partition and run setup.exe to install
> w98. The installation goes fine, asks for the CD key, starts to copy the
> files but after a while it gives me a Kernel Error. If I start the computer
> again, it starts with Linux!
> Can someone help me with this? I want to clean the Linux OS and start with
> W98.
>
> Tkx.
> Barbara
Simple.
Boot from DOS diskette which includes the FDISK.EXE application.
In A:> prompt issue the (undocumented) command "fdisk /mbr"<enter> #no
quotes and space after fdisk.
It will clean the mbr from Linux bootloader and install the DOS bootloader.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.