  • Modem
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 26, 2005 7:45:11 PM

When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem) for
an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the end
of installation.

The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there is
no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.

Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever? In
the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3." However,
in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.

Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to have
his computer fixed. HELP???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

More about : communications port problem

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:45:12 PM

In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?
Is you modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on the General
tab, when you select it and click Properties? On the Modem tab, what port does it
show it is using?

In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a read-out?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem) for
> an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
> pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the end
> of installation.
>
> The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there is
> no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
>
> Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever? In
> the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3." However,
> in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
>
> Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to have
> his computer fixed. HELP???
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:01:32 AM

"Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem)
for
> an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
> pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the end
> of installation.
>
> The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there
is
> no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
>
> Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever? In
> the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3."
However,
> in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
>
> Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to
have
> his computer fixed. HELP???
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you didn't disable it, and have recent restore point, try system restore
to a previous time. That will dump the new modem driver.

Nevuh, evuh download, install, or use any hardware driver suggested by
wndows update. I'm not kidding.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:18:54 AM

> In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?

-- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

> Is your modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on the
> General tab, when you select it and click Properties?

-- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"

On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?

-- COM 3

In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?

-- Yes

On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?

-- Yes COM 3

If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
read-out?

-- Read-out, as follows:

Port Com 3
Interrupt 10
Address 3000
UART: NS16550AN
Highest Speed: 115K Baud

Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D

Comm . . . Response

ATI1 255
ATI2 OK
ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
ATI5 181
ATI6 SoftK56
CModem Version 11
Rksample Version 341
ATI7 255
AT+FCL . . 0,1

Thanks again for any help.

> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem)
>> for
>> an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
>> pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the
>> end
>> of installation.
>>
>> The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there
>> is
>> no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
>>
>> Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever?
>> In
>> the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3."
>> However,
>> in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
>>
>> Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to
>> have
>> his computer fixed. HELP???
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 12:18:55 AM

Well, the modem is recognised, COM3 is present (as a virtual com port of the modem
itself....it won't appear under Ports in Device Manager), and the modem responds
correctly to the terminal request for info.

If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back of the
computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the "Line" jack on
the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?

What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect online?
--

news:o 4Eve.92$j04.51@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

> > In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?
>
> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
>
> > Is your modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on the
> > General tab, when you select it and click Properties?
>
> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
>
> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
>
> -- COM 3
>
> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
>
> -- Yes
>
> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
>
> -- Yes COM 3
>
> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
> read-out?
>
> -- Read-out, as follows:
>
> Port Com 3
> Interrupt 10
> Address 3000
> UART: NS16550AN
> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
>
> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
>
> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
>
> Comm . . . Response
>
> ATI1 255
> ATI2 OK
> ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
> ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
> ATI5 181
> ATI6 SoftK56
> CModem Version 11
> Rksample Version 341
> ATI7 255
> AT+FCL . . 0,1
>
> Thanks again for any help.
>
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem)
> >> for
> >> an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
> >> pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the
> >> end
> >> of installation.
> >>
> >> The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there
> >> is
> >> no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
> >>
> >> Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever?
> >> In
> >> the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3."
> >> However,
> >> in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
> >>
> >> Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to
> >> have
> >> his computer fixed. HELP???
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:54:27 AM

If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back of
the
> computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the
> "Line" jack on
> the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?

-- Yes, there is a dialtone.

What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect online?

-- AOL is the internet provider . . . when signing on, it first says
"Initializing modem, then goes to Dialing "the access number" . . . , but
after a couple of minutes of no activity, a message comes up saying "Modem
cannot establish a connection". We talked with AOL yesterday and they ran
through all their steps; then said we would have to contact the manufacturer
of the computer.

This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update. There are quite
a few more Windows Updates to be downloaded, however, we can't get it back
online.

Thanks for your time and patience. This computer belongs to a neighbor who
thinks we are really smart about fixing them. We sure hate to disappoint
them. (!)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:o 4Eve.92$j04.51@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?
>>
>> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
>>
>> > Is your modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on
>> > the
>> > General tab, when you select it and click Properties?
>>
>> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
>>
>> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
>>
>> -- COM 3
>>
>> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
>>
>> -- Yes
>>
>> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
>>
>> -- Yes COM 3
>>
>> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
>> read-out?
>>
>> -- Read-out, as follows:
>>
>> Port Com 3
>> Interrupt 10
>> Address 3000
>> UART: NS16550AN
>> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
>>
>> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
>>
>> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
>>
>> Comm . . . Response
>>
>> ATI1 255
>> ATI2 OK
>> ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
>> ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
>> ATI5 181
>> ATI6 SoftK56
>> CModem Version 11
>> Rksample Version 341
>> ATI7 255
>> AT+FCL . . 0,1
>>
>> Thanks again for any help.
>>
>> > --
>> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> >

>> > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:54:28 AM

That Windows Update was a Drivers update, yes? Have you tried
reinstalling the previous drivers from the manufacturer (NOT Windows
Update?) Myself, I'd reboot into Safe Mode, go into Device Manager,
remove *all* COM ports, remove all entries for modem. Then reboot. The
COM ports will reinstall themselves, but you'll have to reinstall the
modem manually--again, use a drivers set from the manufacturer, not the
one from WU. If you can't find a stored copy of the previous drivers
installation, and/or need to verify what make/model of modem, use
Everest.

Finally, go through the process of reconfiguring AOHell to use the
modem. You may even need to uninstall/reinstall.

CAVEAT: I don't work very often with AOHell users, but I suspect that it
installs it's own virtual devices. Check Device Manager carefully for
anything from AOHell and remove it/them in Safe Mode procedure, above.
Also, while you're there, look for any devices that are duplicated,
entries that are obsolete (for devices that are no longer part of the
system). You won't see these entries in Normal Mode, only in Safe Mode.
The rule is "one entry in DM for each device". There may be duplicates
that are normal, especially in the System and USB sections, so the best
procedure is to post back here with a list of duplicated devices, if
any. We can tell you which ones to ignore and which to remove. When you
*do* remove duplicated entries, you need to remove *all* instances and
then let Windows reinstall. You don't know which one is the most current
and correctly configured instance. Also, since many devices are
installed "onto" other devices, you need to remove "Child" devices if
you're removing the "Parent".

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back
> of the
>> computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the
>> "Line" jack on
>> the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?
>
> -- Yes, there is a dialtone.
>
> What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect
> online?
>
> -- AOL is the internet provider . . . when signing on, it first
> says "Initializing modem, then goes to Dialing "the access number" . .
> . , but after a couple of minutes of no activity, a message comes up
> saying "Modem cannot establish a connection". We talked with AOL
> yesterday and they ran through all their steps; then said we would
> have to contact the manufacturer of the computer.
>
> This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update. There are
> quite a few more Windows Updates to be downloaded, however, we can't
> get it back online.
>
> Thanks for your time and patience. This computer belongs to a
> neighbor who thinks we are really smart about fixing them. We sure
> hate to disappoint them. (!)
>> --
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> news:o 4Eve.92$j04.51@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>>>
>>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

>>> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
>>>
>>> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
>>>
>>> -- COM 3
>>>
>>> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
>>>
>>> -- Yes
>>>
>>> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
>>>
>>> -- Yes COM 3
>>>
>>> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
>>> read-out?
>>>
>>> -- Read-out, as follows:
>>>
>>> Port Com 3
>>> Interrupt 10
>>> Address 3000
>>> UART: NS16550AN
>>> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
>>>
>>> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
>>>
>>> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
>>>
>>> Comm . . . Response
>>>
>>> ATI1 255
>>> ATI2 OK
>>> ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
>>> ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
>>> ATI5 181
>>> ATI6 SoftK56
>>> CModem Version 11
>>> Rksample Version 341
>>> ATI7 255
>>> AT+FCL . . 0,1
>>>
>>> Thanks again for any help.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:54:28 AM

| This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update.

You took an optional driver by clicking "Driver Updates" in the left
pane at Windows Update? Those are poison to me, & others have also
complained. Hopefully, you may recover with...

"START button, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, Update Wizard Uninstall"

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
| >>
| >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| >>
| >> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

Status on

| >> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
| >>
| >> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
| >>
| >> -- COM 3
| >>
| >> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
| >>
| >> -- Yes
| >>
| >> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
| >>
| >> -- Yes COM 3
| >>
| >> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or
| >> read-out?
| >>
| >> -- Read-out, as follows:
| >>
| >> Port Com 3
| >> Interrupt 10
| >> Address 3000
| >> UART: NS16550AN
| >> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
| >>
| >> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
| >>
| >> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D

June 27, 2005 3:05:22 AM

You didn't say what driver you updated from Windows Update. I do not generally
recommend getting drivers from WU, but rather from the manufacturer of the device.
The first thing I would try is what PCR suggested:
Start>Run>MSInfo32> Tools menu> Update Wizard Uninstall, and see if it gives an
option to remove the updated driver.

I just noticed that you said you are running Windows ME....why are you asking this
in a Win98 group? WinME has different features....as Dave mentioned, if you have a
restore point from JUST prior to the problem, use System Restore to restore back to
that.

I suggest you post in the WinME group if you don't resolve it quickly here. I don't
have a WinME machine here to refer to, so I am not sure if there is an option on the
Driver tab of the Modem properties to rollback the driver. The option exists in
WinXP, but I don't know if it was implemented in ME.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back of
> the
> > computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the
> > "Line" jack on
> > the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?
>
> -- Yes, there is a dialtone.
>
> What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect online?
>
> -- AOL is the internet provider . . . when signing on, it first says
> "Initializing modem, then goes to Dialing "the access number" . . . , but
> after a couple of minutes of no activity, a message comes up saying "Modem
> cannot establish a connection". We talked with AOL yesterday and they ran
> through all their steps; then said we would have to contact the manufacturer
> of the computer.
>
> This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update. There are quite
> a few more Windows Updates to be downloaded, however, we can't get it back
> online.
>
> Thanks for your time and patience. This computer belongs to a neighbor who
> thinks we are really smart about fixing them. We sure hate to disappoint
> them. (!)
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 4Eve.92$j04.51@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> >>
> >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

> >> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
> >>
> >> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
> >>
> >> -- COM 3
> >>
> >> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
> >>
> >> -- Yes
> >>
> >> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
> >>
> >> -- Yes COM 3
> >>
> >> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
> >> read-out?
> >>
> >> -- Read-out, as follows:
> >>
> >> Port Com 3
> >> Interrupt 10
> >> Address 3000
> >> UART: NS16550AN
> >> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
> >>
> >> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
> >>
> >> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
> >>
> >> Comm . . . Response
> >>
> >> ATI1 255
> >> ATI2 OK
> >> ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
> >> ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
> >> ATI5 181
> >> ATI6 SoftK56
> >> CModem Version 11
> >> Rksample Version 341
> >> ATI7 255
> >> AT+FCL . . 0,1
> >>
> >> Thanks again for any help.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:33:49 PM

Could still be a fried modem.

Try enstablishing a data connection with something else... like having
another computer act as a dailup server and then dailing to it. If it
doesn't work there's a good possibility the modem is fried (or something
very hidden is wrong).

If the connection works, hit AOL techs on the head with it and send them
to hell.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor