Communications Port problem

When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem) for
an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the end
of installation.

The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there is
no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.

Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever? In
the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3." However,
in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.

Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to have
his computer fixed. HELP???

Thanks in advance for any advice.
13 answers Last reply
More about communications port problem

    In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?
    Is you modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on the General
    tab, when you select it and click Properties? On the Modem tab, what port does it
    show it is using?

    In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
    On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
    If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a read-out?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem) for
    > an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
    > pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the end
    > of installation.
    >
    > The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there is
    > no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
    >
    > Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever? In
    > the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3." However,
    > in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
    >
    > Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to have
    > his computer fixed. HELP???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem)
    for
    > an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
    > pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the end
    > of installation.
    >
    > The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there
    is
    > no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
    >
    > Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever? In
    > the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3."
    However,
    > in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
    >
    > Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to
    have
    > his computer fixed. HELP???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    If you didn't disable it, and have recent restore point, try system restore
    to a previous time. That will dump the new modem driver.

    Nevuh, evuh download, install, or use any hardware driver suggested by
    wndows update. I'm not kidding.

    > In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?

    -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

    > Is your modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on the
    > General tab, when you select it and click Properties?

    -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"

    On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?

    -- COM 3

    In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?

    -- Yes

    On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?

    -- Yes COM 3

    If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
    read-out?

    -- Read-out, as follows:

    Port Com 3
    Interrupt 10
    Address 3000
    UART: NS16550AN
    Highest Speed: 115K Baud

    Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

    Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D

    Comm . . . Response

    ATI1 255
    ATI2 OK
    ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
    ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    ATI5 181
    ATI6 SoftK56
    CModem Version 11
    Rksample Version 341
    ATI7 255
    AT+FCL . . 0,1

    Thanks again for any help.

    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem)
    >> for
    >> an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
    >> pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the
    >> end
    >> of installation.
    >>
    >> The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there
    >> is
    >> no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
    >>
    >> Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever?
    >> In
    >> the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3."
    >> However,
    >> in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
    >>
    >> Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to
    >> have
    >> his computer fixed. HELP???
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Well, the modem is recognised, COM3 is present (as a virtual com port of the modem
    itself....it won't appear under Ports in Device Manager), and the modem responds
    correctly to the terminal request for info.

    If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back of the
    computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the "Line" jack on
    the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?

    What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect online?
    --

    > > In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?
    >
    > -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    >
    > > Is your modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on the
    > > General tab, when you select it and click Properties?
    >
    > -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
    >
    > On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
    >
    > -- COM 3
    >
    > In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
    >
    > -- Yes
    >
    > On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
    >
    > -- Yes COM 3
    >
    > If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
    > read-out?
    >
    > -- Read-out, as follows:
    >
    > Port Com 3
    > Interrupt 10
    > Address 3000
    > UART: NS16550AN
    > Highest Speed: 115K Baud
    >
    > Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    >
    > Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
    >
    > Comm . . . Response
    >
    > ATI1 255
    > ATI2 OK
    > ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
    > ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    > ATI5 181
    > ATI6 SoftK56
    > CModem Version 11
    > Rksample Version 341
    > ATI7 255
    > AT+FCL . . 0,1
    >
    > Thanks again for any help.
    >
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >> When attempting to install a Windows Update (driver update for a modem)
    > >> for
    > >> an eMachines 600Mhz running Windows ME, we think I may have inadvertently
    > >> pushed a "yes" button instead of a "no" regarding deleting COM3 at the
    > >> end
    > >> of installation.
    > >>
    > >> The computer is running AOL 8.0, and since downloading this update, there
    > >> is
    > >> no activity from the modem and AOL techs were unable to help.
    > >>
    > >> Could it be possible that the COM port was disabled . . . or whatever?
    > >> In
    > >> the AOL setup info, it says " . . . . modem name . . . on COM 3."
    > >> However,
    > >> in the Device Manager in shows only COM Port 1 and LPT Port 1.
    > >>
    > >> Have no idea what to do next, but our neighbor would very much like to
    > >> have
    > >> his computer fixed. HELP???
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for any advice.

    If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back of
    the
    > computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the
    > "Line" jack on
    > the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?

    -- Yes, there is a dialtone.

    What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect online?

    -- AOL is the internet provider . . . when signing on, it first says
    "Initializing modem, then goes to Dialing "the access number" . . . , but
    after a couple of minutes of no activity, a message comes up saying "Modem
    cannot establish a connection". We talked with AOL yesterday and they ran
    through all their steps; then said we would have to contact the manufacturer
    of the computer.

    This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update. There are quite
    a few more Windows Updates to be downloaded, however, we can't get it back
    online.

    Thanks for your time and patience. This computer belongs to a neighbor who
    thinks we are really smart about fixing them. We sure hate to disappoint
    them. (!)
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > In Device Manager> Modems, what does it show there?
    >>
    >> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    >>
    >> > Is your modem listed, and does it show any errors in Device Status on
    >> > the
    >> > General tab, when you select it and click Properties?
    >>
    >> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
    >>
    >> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
    >>
    >> -- COM 3
    >>
    >> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
    >>
    >> -- Yes
    >>
    >> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
    >>
    >> -- Yes COM 3
    >>
    >> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
    >> read-out?
    >>
    >> -- Read-out, as follows:
    >>
    >> Port Com 3
    >> Interrupt 10
    >> Address 3000
    >> UART: NS16550AN
    >> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
    >>
    >> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    >>
    >> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
    >>
    >> Comm . . . Response
    >>
    >> ATI1 255
    >> ATI2 OK
    >> ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
    >> ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    >> ATI5 181
    >> ATI6 SoftK56
    >> CModem Version 11
    >> Rksample Version 341
    >> ATI7 255
    >> AT+FCL . . 0,1
    >>
    >> Thanks again for any help.
    >>
    >> > --
    >> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> >

    >> > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    That Windows Update was a Drivers update, yes? Have you tried
    reinstalling the previous drivers from the manufacturer (NOT Windows
    Update?) Myself, I'd reboot into Safe Mode, go into Device Manager,
    remove *all* COM ports, remove all entries for modem. Then reboot. The
    COM ports will reinstall themselves, but you'll have to reinstall the
    modem manually--again, use a drivers set from the manufacturer, not the
    one from WU. If you can't find a stored copy of the previous drivers
    installation, and/or need to verify what make/model of modem, use
    Everest.

    Finally, go through the process of reconfiguring AOHell to use the
    modem. You may even need to uninstall/reinstall.

    CAVEAT: I don't work very often with AOHell users, but I suspect that it
    installs it's own virtual devices. Check Device Manager carefully for
    anything from AOHell and remove it/them in Safe Mode procedure, above.
    Also, while you're there, look for any devices that are duplicated,
    entries that are obsolete (for devices that are no longer part of the
    system). You won't see these entries in Normal Mode, only in Safe Mode.
    The rule is "one entry in DM for each device". There may be duplicates
    that are normal, especially in the System and USB sections, so the best
    procedure is to post back here with a list of duplicated devices, if
    any. We can tell you which ones to ignore and which to remove. When you
    *do* remove duplicated entries, you need to remove *all* instances and
    then let Windows reinstall. You don't know which one is the most current
    and correctly configured instance. Also, since many devices are
    installed "onto" other devices, you need to remove "Child" devices if
    you're removing the "Parent".

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back
    > of the
    >> computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the
    >> "Line" jack on
    >> the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?
    >
    > -- Yes, there is a dialtone.
    >
    > What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect
    > online?
    >
    > -- AOL is the internet provider . . . when signing on, it first
    > says "Initializing modem, then goes to Dialing "the access number" . .
    > . , but after a couple of minutes of no activity, a message comes up
    > saying "Modem cannot establish a connection". We talked with AOL
    > yesterday and they ran through all their steps; then said we would
    > have to contact the manufacturer of the computer.
    >
    > This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update. There are
    > quite a few more Windows Updates to be downloaded, however, we can't
    > get it back online.
    >
    > Thanks for your time and patience. This computer belongs to a
    > neighbor who thinks we are really smart about fixing them. We sure
    > hate to disappoint them. (!)
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

    >>> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
    >>>
    >>> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
    >>>
    >>> -- COM 3
    >>>
    >>> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
    >>>
    >>> -- Yes
    >>>
    >>> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
    >>>
    >>> -- Yes COM 3
    >>>
    >>> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
    >>> read-out?
    >>>
    >>> -- Read-out, as follows:
    >>>
    >>> Port Com 3
    >>> Interrupt 10
    >>> Address 3000
    >>> UART: NS16550AN
    >>> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
    >>>
    >>> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    >>>
    >>> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
    >>>
    >>> Comm . . . Response
    >>>
    >>> ATI1 255
    >>> ATI2 OK
    >>> ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
    >>> ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    >>> ATI5 181
    >>> ATI6 SoftK56
    >>> CModem Version 11
    >>> Rksample Version 341
    >>> ATI7 255
    >>> AT+FCL . . 0,1
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again for any help.

    | This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update.

    You took an optional driver by clicking "Driver Updates" in the left
    pane at Windows Update? Those are poison to me, & others have also
    complained. Hopefully, you may recover with...

    "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Tools menu, Update Wizard Uninstall"

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    | >>
    | >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    | >>
    | >> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

    Status on

    | >> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
    | >>
    | >> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
    | >>
    | >> -- COM 3
    | >>
    | >> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
    | >>
    | >> -- Yes
    | >>
    | >> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
    | >>
    | >> -- Yes COM 3
    | >>
    | >> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or
    | >> read-out?
    | >>
    | >> -- Read-out, as follows:
    | >>
    | >> Port Com 3
    | >> Interrupt 10
    | >> Address 3000
    | >> UART: NS16550AN
    | >> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
    | >>
    | >> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    | >>
    | >> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D

    You didn't say what driver you updated from Windows Update. I do not generally
    recommend getting drivers from WU, but rather from the manufacturer of the device.
    The first thing I would try is what PCR suggested:
    Start>Run>MSInfo32> Tools menu> Update Wizard Uninstall, and see if it gives an
    option to remove the updated driver.

    I just noticed that you said you are running Windows ME....why are you asking this
    in a Win98 group? WinME has different features....as Dave mentioned, if you have a
    restore point from JUST prior to the problem, use System Restore to restore back to
    that.

    I suggest you post in the WinME group if you don't resolve it quickly here. I don't
    have a WinME machine here to refer to, so I am not sure if there is an option on the
    Driver tab of the Modem properties to rollback the driver. The option exists in
    WinXP, but I don't know if it was implemented in ME.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > If you plug a telephone into the "Phone" jack on the modem at the back of
    > the
    > > computer, while the phone line from the wall jack is connected to the
    > > "Line" jack on
    > > the modem, do you hear a dial tone when you lift the receiver?
    >
    > -- Yes, there is a dialtone.
    >
    > What if any error message are you getting when you try to connect online?
    >
    > -- AOL is the internet provider . . . when signing on, it first says
    > "Initializing modem, then goes to Dialing "the access number" . . . , but
    > after a couple of minutes of no activity, a message comes up saying "Modem
    > cannot establish a connection". We talked with AOL yesterday and they ran
    > through all their steps; then said we would have to contact the manufacturer
    > of the computer.
    >
    > This all started after downloading a Windows Driver Update. There are quite
    > a few more Windows Updates to be downloaded, however, we can't get it back
    > online.
    >
    > Thanks for your time and patience. This computer belongs to a neighbor who
    > thinks we are really smart about fixing them. We sure hate to disappoint
    > them. (!)
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Barb" <tincantyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> -- Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)

    > >> -- No errors shown - "This device is working properly"
    > >>
    > >> On the Modem tab, what port does it show it is using?
    > >>
    > >> -- COM 3
    > >>
    > >> In Control Panel> Modems, is the modem listed on the General tab?
    > >>
    > >> -- Yes
    > >>
    > >> On the Diagnostics tab, is it listed with a com port?
    > >>
    > >> -- Yes COM 3
    > >>
    > >> If you select it here and click More Info, do you get an error or a
    > >> read-out?
    > >>
    > >> -- Read-out, as follows:
    > >>
    > >> Port Com 3
    > >> Interrupt 10
    > >> Address 3000
    > >> UART: NS16550AN
    > >> Highest Speed: 115K Baud
    > >>
    > >> Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    > >>
    > >> Identifier: CXT\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013+Subsys_8850155D
    > >>
    > >> Comm . . . Response
    > >>
    > >> ATI1 255
    > >> ATI2 OK
    > >> ATI3 SoftK56V_B2.1_V2.14.06
    > >> ATI4 Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem (M)
    > >> ATI5 181
    > >> ATI6 SoftK56
    > >> CModem Version 11
    > >> Rksample Version 341
    > >> ATI7 255
    > >> AT+FCL . . 0,1
    > >>
    > >> Thanks again for any help.

    Could still be a fried modem.

    Try enstablishing a data connection with something else... like having
    another computer act as a dailup server and then dailing to it. If it
    doesn't work there's a good possibility the modem is fried (or something
    very hidden is wrong).

    If the connection works, hit AOL techs on the head with it and send them
    to hell.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor