no OS how to install 98SE

i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a compaq
pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the 98SE
that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE it
will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to get
my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only have
the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very new
to all this ty in advance for any help
Wolf
8 answers Last reply
More about install 98se

    > i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a
    compaq
    > pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the
    98SE
    > that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE
    it
    > will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to
    get
    > my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only
    have
    > the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
    > wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very
    new
    > to all this ty in advance for any help
    > Wolf

    If you have the Win98SE install CD. Just put it in your CD-Drive and boot
    off it. The install CD is a bootdisk on it's own.

    HTH,
    jkb

    thank you for answering me. i tried to do that but it cant recognise the
    cdrom drive .!! it wont start the cd what can i do now ??? Wolf

    "wolf" <wolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a
    compaq
    > pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the
    98SE
    > that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE
    it
    > will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to
    get
    > my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only
    have
    > the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
    > wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very
    new

    For guidance see
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm or
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

    1. You need a boot floppy customized for the OS
    that sets up the CD drives in DOS. You can download
    one free from www.bootdisk.com
    2. Before doing anything irreversible (e.g. formatting
    the hard drive) you should
    -- check beforehand you have everything you will
    need e.g. product ID
    -- test the boot floppy beforehand to be sure it
    does everything you require.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    ty for helping me! i went to bootdisk .com which of the 2 98se should i use
    and how do i get them onto a floppy after downloading i never have done this
    before i need some detailed instructions on how to ! ty.. by the way i am
    usin a comp that has xp/pro on it to do this . sry for been such a uninformed
    person .but im realy stuck with this on my own any help is truly appreciated
    ..(im not familiar with a lot af the jargon used in here pls be patient ok )
    ty again Wolf

    "Don Phillipson" wrote:

    > "wolf" <wolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a
    > compaq
    > > pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the
    > 98SE
    > > that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE
    > it
    > > will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to
    > get
    > > my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only
    > have
    > > the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
    > > wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very
    > new
    >
    > For guidance see
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm or
    > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
    >
    > 1. You need a boot floppy customized for the OS
    > that sets up the CD drives in DOS. You can download
    > one free from www.bootdisk.com
    > 2. Before doing anything irreversible (e.g. formatting
    > the hard drive) you should
    > -- check beforehand you have everything you will
    > need e.g. product ID
    > -- test the boot floppy beforehand to be sure it
    > does everything you require.
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    I mean - tell the BIOS to boot off the CD drive first. Then put the install
    CD in(if it isn't already). The CD will boot and then you can install Win98.

    jkb

    wolf wrote:
    > thank you for answering me. i tried to do that but it cant recognise the
    > cdrom drive .!! it wont start the cd what can i do now ??? Wolf

    Wolf eh?

    When your computer starts, press "Del" (or F2 or F10 or whatever that is
    with Compaq), Go to "Advanced BIOS" and then find the area that says
    "Boot Sequence" or anything like that, make note of the current
    settings, then make sure CDROM is one of the selected options. Then
    "Save and Exit".

    If the computer isn't too old, the option should be right there and your
    computer will start off the CD if it is inserted before you turn on the
    computer (turn on the computer and insert the CD, then turn it off
    without removing the CD and turn it on again). Setup should start.

    If your computer is too old tho, your only option will be to find a
    diskette with the DOS CDROM driver on the internet and write it to a floppy.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian: