  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 27, 2005 12:03:04 PM

i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a compaq
pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the 98SE
that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE it
will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to get
my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only have
the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very new
to all this ty in advance for any help
Wolf

More about : install 98se

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:49:33 PM

> i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a
compaq
> pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the
98SE
> that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE
it
> will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to
get
> my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only
have
> the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
> wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very
new
> to all this ty in advance for any help
> Wolf

If you have the Win98SE install CD. Just put it in your CD-Drive and boot
off it. The install CD is a bootdisk on it's own.

HTH,
jkb
June 27, 2005 3:49:34 PM

thank you for answering me. i tried to do that but it cant recognise the
cdrom drive .!! it wont start the cd what can i do now ??? Wolf

"jkb" wrote:

> > i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a
> compaq
> > pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the
> 98SE
> > that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE
> it
> > will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to
> get
> > my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only
> have
> > the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
> > wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very
> new
> > to all this ty in advance for any help
> > Wolf
>
> If you have the Win98SE install CD. Just put it in your CD-Drive and boot
> off it. The install CD is a bootdisk on it's own.
>
> HTH,
> jkb

June 27, 2005 4:38:44 PM

"wolf" <wolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a
compaq
> pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the
98SE
> that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE
it
> will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to
get
> my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only
have
> the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
> wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very
new

For guidance see
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm or
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

1. You need a boot floppy customized for the OS
that sets up the CD drives in DOS. You can download
one free from www.bootdisk.com
2. Before doing anything irreversible (e.g. formatting
the hard drive) you should
-- check beforehand you have everything you will
need e.g. product ID
-- test the boot floppy beforehand to be sure it
does everything you require.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

ty for helping me! i went to bootdisk .com which of the 2 98se should i use
and how do i get them onto a floppy after downloading i never have done this
before i need some detailed instructions on how to ! ty.. by the way i am
usin a comp that has xp/pro on it to do this . sry for been such a uninformed
person .but im realy stuck with this on my own any help is truly appreciated
..(im not familiar with a lot af the jargon used in here pls be patient ok )
ty again Wolf

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "wolf" <wolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > i am a total newbie to installing os. i need some help pls . i have a
> compaq
> > pressario comp it has no OS on it my friend made a boot diskette of the
> 98SE
> > that was on it .then he formatted it. now when i tried to reinstall 98SE
> it
> > will not load the driver for the cdrom drive . im lost what can i do to
> get
> > my os back on there .by the way i dont have the compac cd anymore i only
> have
> > the 98SE cd did something go wrong makin the start up diskette ?? it sure
> > wont work . pls give me instructions that i can understand im still very
> new
>
> For guidance see
> http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm or
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
>
> 1. You need a boot floppy customized for the OS
> that sets up the CD drives in DOS. You can download
> one free from www.bootdisk.com
> 2. Before doing anything irreversible (e.g. formatting
> the hard drive) you should
> -- check beforehand you have everything you will
> need e.g. product ID
> -- test the boot floppy beforehand to be sure it
> does everything you require.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:18:54 PM

I mean - tell the BIOS to boot off the CD drive first. Then put the install
CD in(if it isn't already). The CD will boot and then you can install Win98.

jkb
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:17:35 PM

wolf wrote:
> thank you for answering me. i tried to do that but it cant recognise the
> cdrom drive .!! it wont start the cd what can i do now ??? Wolf

Wolf eh?

When your computer starts, press "Del" (or F2 or F10 or whatever that is
with Compaq), Go to "Advanced BIOS" and then find the area that says
"Boot Sequence" or anything like that, make note of the current
settings, then make sure CDROM is one of the selected options. Then
"Save and Exit".

If the computer isn't too old, the option should be right there and your
computer will start off the CD if it is inserted before you turn on the
computer (turn on the computer and insert the CD, then turn it off
without removing the CD and turn it on again). Setup should start.

If your computer is too old tho, your only option will be to find a
diskette with the DOS CDROM driver on the internet and write it to a floppy.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian: