cd-rom not recognized

Running windows 98 and everything had been fine. Tried to add a new sound
card, and windows quit recognizing my cd rom drive. It is still seen by the
bios. Have removed the sound card and returned everything to previous state
and still no drive. Pleas ehelp!
--
kah
2 answers Last reply

    "kah" <kah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Running windows 98 and everything had been fine. Tried to add a new sound
    > card, and windows quit recognizing my cd rom drive. It is still seen by
    the
    > bios. Have removed the sound card and returned everything to previous
    state
    > and still no drive. Pleas ehelp!

    Have you tried / Control Panel / Add New Hardware
    ?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q237948
    Troubleshoot CD-R_W

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218617
    Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

    I guess, a first try would be...

    (1) Boot to Safe Mode. (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the
    Startup Menu, & select Safe Mode from that.)
    (2) "START button, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
    (3) Open the CD-ROM branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
    (4) Highlight each drive in that branch, & click "Remove".
    (Safe Mode may reveal the presence of a "ghost".)
    (5) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

    As cquirke once said, "Control Panel, System, Performance tab". Are you
    in "compatibility" mode? Then, try his site...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/doscompat.htm

    Also...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130179&Product=w98
    Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks
    (130179) - The Performance tab in System properties shows that one or
    more of the hard disks in your computer is using MS-DOS Compatibility
    mode. MS-DOS compatibility mode may be in use either for the file system
    or for virtual memory. You may receive the...

    Also...

    To see whether the CD-ROM is physically functioning, it can be run
    independently of Windows...

    Get a Startup Diskette from
    http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
    Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
    letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
    normal.) That is, "DIR X:", where "X:" is the CD-ROM letter.

    If you cannot boot the Startup Diskette, you must be sent into BIOS. If
    the CD-ROM does work in DOS after the Diskette has boot, it is likely
    there is a problem with the Windows 32-bit drivers or settings.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "kah" <kah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Running windows 98 and everything had been fine. Tried to add a new
    sound
    | card, and windows quit recognizing my cd rom drive. It is still seen
    by the
    | bios. Have removed the sound card and returned everything to previous
    state
    | and still no drive. Pleas ehelp!
    | --
    | kah