Further comments on the IE6 and browseui problem

Tags:
  • Windows Explorer
  • IE6
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 27, 2005 4:37:41 PM

I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:

When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane (let's
say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy - BUT..

Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer again,
and you have to repeat the whole damn process!

In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it should!
(and like it did do, pre IE6).

So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!

More about : comments ie6 browseui problem

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:37:42 PM

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
>
> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
(let's
> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy - BUT..
>
> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer
again,
> and you have to repeat the whole damn process!

There is a Registry entry which controls
how and where Explorer opens.

Browsing Explorer doesn't change the state of that entry.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:13:39 PM

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
>> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
>>
>> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
(let's
>> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
>> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy -
BUT..

>> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer
>>again, and you have to repeat the whole damn process!
>>
> There is a Registry entry which controls
> how and where Explorer opens.
>
> Browsing Explorer doesn't change the state of that entry.

I don't know what you're trying to say here: Let me explain:

I *can* tell you, *unequivocally*, that when I swap out those two browse
DLLs, everything is fine, and when I put them back, it isn't, in regards to
THIS issue, and the previous issues already noted. Q.E.D.
June 27, 2005 11:33:29 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130510
Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer

I cannot recall what happened in IE5. In IE6, I doubt I ever saw
Explorer behave as you wish, to open where it left off! (Maybe fool with
those command-line switches in the Target field of shortcuts ???) Also,
clicking the plus sign in the L-pane expands it's sub-folders, but
doesn't select the folder into the R-pane. Clicking a folder in the
L-pane will select it into the R-pane, but not expand sub-folders in the
L-pane.

Chauvin always did say you'd run into peccadilloes, but ???. Well, you
haven't exposed yourself to XP again, I hope!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
| another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
|
| When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
(let's
| say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then
go
| over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy -
BUT..

| Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer
again,
| and you have to repeat the whole damn process!
|
| In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it
should!
| (and like it did do, pre IE6).
|
| So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:56:55 PM

PCR wrote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130510
> Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer
>
> I cannot recall what happened in IE5. In IE6, I doubt I ever saw
> Explorer behave as you wish, to open where it left off!

You never saw it? Either you were a) blind, or b) possibly have short
term memory loss. But it's working just great over here, ever since I
swapped out those two damn DLLs. (but then again, I'm not takin in all
those daily updates that y'all are so fond of. Go for it, but count me
out)

(Maybe fool with
> those command-line switches in the Target field of shortcuts ???) Also,
> clicking the plus sign in the L-pane expands it's sub-folders, but
> doesn't select the folder into the R-pane. Clicking a folder in the
> L-pane will select it into the R-pane, but not expand sub-folders in the
> L-pane.
>
> Chauvin always did say you'd run into peccadilloes, but ???. Well, you
> haven't exposed yourself to XP again, I hope!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
>> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
>>
>> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
(let's
>> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
>> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy -
BUT..

>> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer
again,
>> and you have to repeat the whole damn process!
>>
>> In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it should!
>> (and like it did do, pre IE6).
>>
>> So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 3:49:18 AM

What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and then expand a
particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents in the right pane, and
then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open Windows Explorer it does not
open to the same folder you chose the last time. Press Winkey+E to open Explorer,
and it will open with My Computer expanded every time, regardless of where you left
it last time you closed it.

If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a shortcut to open
Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time, or perhaps you are
using a third-party utility of some sort to enable this? I have never seen the
behaviour you describe, even on a clean install on Win98 with no updates.....nor did
I ever see it in Win95.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
>
> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane (let's
> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy - BUT..
>
> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer again,
> and you have to repeat the whole damn process!
>
> In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it should!
> (and like it did do, pre IE6).
>
> So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 3:49:19 AM

glee wrote:
> What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and then
> expand a particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents in
the
> right pane, and then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open
> Windows
> Explorer it does not open to the same folder you chose the last time.
Press
> Winkey+E to open Explorer, and it will open with My Computer expanded
> every time, regardless of where you left it last time you closed it.
>
> If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a shortcut to
open
> Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time,

Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies to PCR
too).
My bad for not remembering that particular detail!

BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated. And I like
it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way it is
supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)

> or perhaps
> you are using a third-party utility of some sort to enable this? I have
> never seen the behaviour you describe, even on a clean install on Win98
with
> no updates.....nor did I ever see it in Win95.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
>> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
>>
>> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
(let's
>> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
>> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy -
BUT..

>> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer >>
again, and you have to repeat the whole damn process!

>> In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it should!
>> (and like it did do, pre IE6).
>>
>> So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:12:35 AM

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o BtrrS4eFHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130510
| > Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer
| >
| > I cannot recall what happened in IE5. In IE6, I doubt I ever saw
| > Explorer behave as you wish, to open where it left off!
|
| You never saw it? Either you were a) blind, or b) possibly have
short
| term memory loss. But it's working just great over here, ever since
| swapped out those two damn DLLs. (but then again, I'm not takin in
all
| those daily updates that y'all are so fond of. Go for it, but count
me
| out)

A third possibility is my monitor went black each time I saw it, BUT
what about Glee? Surely it's more likely for you to be batty than both
of us!

| (Maybe fool with
| > those command-line switches in the Target field of shortcuts ???)
Also,
| > clicking the plus sign in the L-pane expands it's sub-folders, but
| > doesn't select the folder into the R-pane. Clicking a folder in the
| > L-pane will select it into the R-pane, but not expand sub-folders in
the
| > L-pane.
| >
| > Chauvin always did say you'd run into peccadilloes, but ???. Well,
you
| > haven't exposed yourself to XP again, I hope!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| >> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there
is
| >> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
| >>
| >> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left
pane
| (let's
| >> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and
then go
| >> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and
dandy -
| BUT..
| >>
| >> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows
Explorer
| again,
| >> and you have to repeat the whole damn process!
| >>
| >> In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it
should!
| >> (and like it did do, pre IE6).
| >>
| >> So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:25:50 AM

| glee wrote:
| > What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and
then
| > expand a particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents
in
| the
| > right pane, and then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open
| > Windows
| > Explorer it does not open to the same folder you chose the last
time.
| Press
| > Winkey+E to open Explorer, and it will open with My Computer
expanded
| > every time, regardless of where you left it last time you closed it.
| >
| > If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a
shortcut to
| open
| > Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time,
|
| Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies to
PCR
| too).
| My bad for not remembering that particular detail!
|
| BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated. And I
like
| it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way it
is
| supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)

OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What is
the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?

....snip
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:25:51 AM

PCR wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> glee wrote:
>>> What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and then
>>> expand a particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents in
the
>>> right pane, and then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open
>>> Windows
>>> Explorer it does not open to the same folder you chose the last time.
Press
>>> Winkey+E to open Explorer, and it will open with My Computer expanded
>>> every time, regardless of where you left it last time you closed it.
>>>
>>> If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a shortcut
>>> open Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time,
>>
>> Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies to
PCR
>> too). My bad for not remembering that particular detail!
>>
>> BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated. And I
like
>> it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way it is
>> supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)
>
> OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What is
> the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?
>
> ...snip

This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
Explorer switches).

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way, meaning
(since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
inconvenient for me.

I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
(messing with files, installing programs, etc).

But - it won't work right for you!!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:13:34 AM

PCR wrote:
> OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What
> is the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?

Open Explorer to any folder...

1. Shortcut
2. In the shortcut "target"...
C:\Windows\Explorer.exe /n,/e,path to wherever

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
June 28, 2005 5:00:08 PM

Bill in Co. wrote:

> This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
> Explorer switches).
>
> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
>
> I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
> expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way, meaning
> (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
> pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
> complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
> inconvenient for me.
>
> I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
> convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
> (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
>
> But - it won't work right for you!!

Hi Bill,

I never use those right panes at all and if ever needed it will just right
click Explore on whatever Drive or Folder I'm on. I've never made a shortcut
as you explained.. I just did but I can't get it to do what you have said
yet although I'm sure it's something I may not being doing as you instructed
but since I don't use explorer that way though I would of never noticed it
and so may not be a big focus for me as with the main problems.

[...]

> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:

I must of missed your other post recently that you wrote that you wanted to
add this onto it?

Rick
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:16:33 PM

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>
>> This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
>> Explorer switches).
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
>>
>> I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
>> expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
meaning
>> (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
>> pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
>> complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
>> inconvenient for me.
>>
>> I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
>> convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
>> (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
>>
>> But - it won't work right for you!!
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I never use those right panes at all and if ever needed it will just right
> click Explore on whatever Drive or Folder I'm on. I've never made a
shortcut
> as you explained.. I just did but I can't get it to do what you have said

And you won't be able to get it to work as its supposed to, w/o either
swapping those two browse DLLs, or going back to IE 55. (Of course, there
is always the remote possibility that you are still using IE 55, and have
applied all the "latest and greatest" windows updates, and that killed it
too, for all I know)

> yet although I'm sure it's something I may not being doing as you
instructed
> but since I don't use explorer that way though I would of never noticed it
> and so may not be a big focus for me as with the main problems.
>
> [...]
>
>> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
>> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
>
> I must of missed your other post recently that you wrote that you wanted
> add this onto it?

The original post wasn't posted by me, but addressed the problem that
Windows Explorer had in deleting large numbers of files (this, ever since
IE6) - it would freeze or hang up for either a few minutes, or indefinitely.
(Which was totally unacceptable for me).

And the only "fix" or "solution" was to swap out those two IE6 browse DLL
files with the older IE55 versions (OR go back to IE55, which would be less
desireable). Remember?

> Rick
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:56:33 PM

Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
still not 100% sure what it does.

--
"dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
| PCR wrote:
| > OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What
| > is the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?
|
| Open Explorer to any folder...
|
| 1. Shortcut
| 2. In the shortcut "target"...
| C:\Windows\Explorer.exe /n,/e,path to wherever
|

| --
| dadiOH
| ____________________________
|
| dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
| ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
| LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
| Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:12:02 PM

Bill in Co. wrote:
> Rick Chauvin wrote:
>> Bill in Co. wrote:
>>
>>> This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
>>> Explorer switches).
>>>
>>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
>>>
>>> I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
>>> to expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
>>> meaning (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in
>>> the left pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And
>>> NOT the complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which
>>> is more inconvenient for me.
>>>
>>> I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
>>> convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
>>> (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
>>>
>>> But - it won't work right for you!!
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I never use those right panes at all and if ever needed it will just right
>> click Explore on whatever Drive or Folder I'm on. I've never made a
>> shortcut as you explained.. I just did but I can't get it to do what you
>> have said
>
> And you won't be able to get it to work as its supposed to, w/o either

Okay I see, well that issue is a non-use by me so it's small potatoes
compared to the real issue.

> swapping those two browse DLLs, or going back to IE 55. (Of course, there
> is always the remote possibility that you are still using IE 55, and have
> applied all the "latest and greatest" windows updates, and that killed it
> too, for all I know)

Both actually <g>
...iow, I have the best of any world I want to but at this second it's IE6.0
SP1 with all the current updates, but any moment I want to all I need to do
is press 5 in dos to automatically swap back to the 5.5 dlls if I wanted to
do what you're doing ..but 99.9% of the time lately I leave it current.

>> yet although I'm sure it's something I may not being doing as you
>> instructed but since I don't use explorer that way though I would of
>> never noticed it and so may not be a big focus for me as with the main
>> problems.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
>>> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
>>
>> I must of missed your other post recently that you wrote that you wanted
>> to add this onto it?
>
> The original post wasn't posted by me, but addressed the problem that
> Windows Explorer had in deleting large numbers of files (this, ever since
> IE6) - it would freeze or hang up for either a few minutes, or
> indefinitely. (Which was totally unacceptable for me).
>
> And the only "fix" or "solution" was to swap out those two IE6 browse DLL
> files with the older IE55 versions (OR go back to IE55, which would be less
> desireable). Remember?

Yes of course I remember <smile>

Okay thanks, for a moment I was only thinking maybe you had posted something
since then and that was what you post your 'Subject' was referring too.

Well all is the same as it was then with the ie6 9x delete hang...
<shrug> ):

take care,

>> Rick
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:20:53 PM

PCR wrote:
> Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
> still not 100% sure what it does.

I think he just uses:

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
or
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
or
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\

...or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going using a
created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of where he
wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..

I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I want.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:23:52 PM

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o QMJOv6eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
| > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| the
| Press

| >> Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies
| PCR
| >> too). My bad for not remembering that particular detail!
| >>
| >> BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated.
And I
| like
| >> it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way
it is
| >> supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)
| >
| > OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What
is
| > the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?
| >
| > ...snip
|
| This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on
Windows
| Explorer switches).
|
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

That one (for me in IE6 SP1, fully updated) opens Explorer to C:\,
expanded one level in the L-pane. That is, all the folders in the top
level of C:\ are showing, with a plus sign left of the ones that have
sub-folders. In the R-pane, all the folders & files in the top level of
C:\ are showing.

BUT (as you seem to be saying otherwise), ALL OTHER drives &
psuedo-folders are also there in the L-pane. It is really the same as...

(a) "WindowsKey+E"
(b) Click the plus sign left of C:\
(Expands one level.)
(c) Click C:\
(Puts it in R-Pane.)

And I get the same effect with just "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE". Also...

(a) "START, Find, F/F, Explorer.scf".
(Should be in C:\Windows.)
(b) Copy it to the Desktop or Quick Launch bar.

It seems to do the same as the others.

| I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right
panes to
| expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
meaning
| (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the
left
| pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT
the
| complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
| inconvenient for me.

You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER have
exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)

| I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and
very
| convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
| (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
|
| But - it won't work right for you!!

"C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,F:\" or any legit letter does work for
me!

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:23:53 PM

PCR wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o QMJOv6eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> PCR wrote:
>>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

PCR

>>> OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What is
>>> the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?
>>>
>>> ...snip
>>
>> This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
>> Explorer switches).
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
>
> That one (for me in IE6 SP1, fully updated) opens Explorer to C:\,
> expanded one level in the L-pane. That is, all the folders in the top
> level of C:\ are showing, with a plus sign left of the ones that have
> sub-folders. In the R-pane, all the folders & files in the top level of
> C:\ are showing.
>
> BUT (as you seem to be saying otherwise), ALL OTHER drives &
> psuedo-folders are also there in the L-pane. It is really the same as...
>
> (a) "WindowsKey+E"
> (b) Click the plus sign left of C:\
> (Expands one level.)
> (c) Click C:\
> (Puts it in R-Pane.)
>
> And I get the same effect with just "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE". Also...
>
> (a) "START, Find, F/F, Explorer.scf".
> (Should be in C:\Windows.)
> (b) Copy it to the Desktop or Quick Launch bar.
>
> It seems to do the same as the others.
>

>> I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
>> expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
meaning
>> (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
>> pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
>> complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
>> inconvenient for me.
>
> You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER have
> exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)

No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.

The point is, I want Windows Explorer to "retain focus" in the left and
right panes the way *I want it to be* - the way *I set it up to be*.

>> I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
>> convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
>> (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
>>
>> But - it won't work right for you!!
>
> "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,F:\" or any legit letter does work for
> me!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:37:11 PM

Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in the
L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?

--
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| PCR wrote:
| > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
| > still not 100% sure what it does.
|
| I think he just uses:
|
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
| or
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
| or
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
|
| ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
using a
| created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
where he
| wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
|
| I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I
want.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:50:25 PM

PCR wrote:
> Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
> pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in the
> L-pane.

Me too, just like that, and it seems fine.. I guess.

Maybe I don't get it, but it seems fine for me.

> Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?

I remember he toy'd with lots of different things.. But you have a handle on
it so I will let you lead.

nice to say hello to ya,
bye,
Rick

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>| PCR wrote:
>| > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
>| > still not 100% sure what it does.
>|
>| I think he just uses:
>|
>| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
>| or
>| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
>| or
>| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
>|
>| ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going using
>| a created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
>| where he wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
>|
>| I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I want.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:55:08 PM

Oh!

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\

seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but the
root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!

"C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"

That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!

--
| Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
| pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
the
| L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| | PCR wrote:
| | > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut
that..
| | > still not 100% sure what it does.
| |
| | I think he just uses:
| |
| | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
| | or
| | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
| | or
| | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
| |
| | ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
| using a
| | created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
| where he
| | wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
| |
| | I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I
| want.
| |
| |

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:55:09 PM

Regardless of what you do, you STILL have that hangup problem on deleting a
large number of files, which is totally unacceptable (to me), unless you
swap out those two DLLs.

PCR wrote:
> Oh!
>
> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
>
> seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but the
> root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
>
> "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
>
> That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
>> pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in the
>> L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
>>

>> --
>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>> should things get worse after this,
>> PCR
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I think he just uses:
>>>
>>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
>>> or
>>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
>>> or
>>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
>>>
>>> ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
using a
>>> created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
where
>>> he wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
>>>
>>> I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I want.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:58:38 PM

Yea, OK, nice. But see my update (to myself), before seeing this
response of yours. "/root" is the thing. Looks weird, though! A guy
could think his HDD was wiped!

--
news:o $tbmMCfFHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
| > Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
| > pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
the
| > L-pane.
|
| Me too, just like that, and it seems fine.. I guess.
|
| Maybe I don't get it, but it seems fine for me.
|
| > Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
|
| I remember he toy'd with lots of different things.. But you have a
handle on
| it so I will let you lead.
|
| nice to say hello to ya,
| bye,
| Rick
|

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| >|
| >| I think he just uses:
| >|
| >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
| >| or
| >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
| >| or
| >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
| >|
| >| ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
using
| >| a created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu
of
| >| where he wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have
them..
| >|
| >| I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I
want.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:03:58 PM

PCR wrote:
> Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
> still not 100% sure what it does.

Winkey + E et al = WinExplorer with "My Computer" expanded.

His shortcut = WinExplorer with C: expanded. Saves clicking the + in
front of C: :)

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
June 28, 2005 9:12:16 PM

That's right. It also saves clicking C:\ itself, to put it into the
R-pane. Try this one, dadiOH...

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\

I am sure Colorado will take all complaints & lawsuits should you drop
dead of thinking your HDD was wiped!

--
news:o kkKeTCfFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
| > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
| > still not 100% sure what it does.
|
| Winkey + E et al = WinExplorer with "My Computer" expanded.
|
| His shortcut = WinExplorer with C: expanded. Saves clicking the + in
| front of C: :)
|
| --
| dadiOH
| ____________________________
|
| dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
| ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
| LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
| Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:21:32 PM

....snip

| You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane???

Oh! "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\" does that.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:25:42 PM

its great for setting up shortcuts to data folders, though
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,"C:\web pages\w1\" opens at the folder
local version of the web site is at, great when editing html files

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
| Oh!
|
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
|
| seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but the
| root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
|
| "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
|
| That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
| | pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
| the
| | L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
| |
| |
| | --
| | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | should things get worse after this,
| | PCR
| | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| that..
| | |
| | | I think he just uses:
| | |
| | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
| | | or
| | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
| | | or
| | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
| | |
| | | ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
| | using a
| | | created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
| | where he
| | | wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
| | |
| | | I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I
| | want.
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:32:44 AM

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
....snip

| > You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER
have
| > exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)
|
| No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.

Try this one, then...
"C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\"

....snip
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:32:45 AM

I don't need to - no problems over here, remember?

PCR wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> ...snip
>>>
>>> You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER have
>>> exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)
>>
>> No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.
>
> Try this one, then...
> "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\"
>
> ...snip
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:35:20 AM

Let's not get vindictive, now!

--
| Regardless of what you do, you STILL have that hangup problem on
deleting a
| large number of files, which is totally unacceptable (to me), unless
you
| swap out those two DLLs.
|
| PCR wrote:
| > Oh!
| >
| > C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
| >
| > seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but
the
| > root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
| >
| > "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
| >
| > That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| >> Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
| >> pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
the
| >> L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
| >>

| >> --
| >> Thanks or Good Luck,
| >> There may be humor in this post, and,
| >> Naturally, you will not sue,
| >> should things get worse after this,
| >> PCR
| >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
| >> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

| using a
| where

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:38:12 AM

Yea, looks like it has it's usefulness. Still, I say, it is weird-- &
all Colorado's fault!

--
"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| its great for setting up shortcuts to data folders, though
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,"C:\web pages\w1\" opens at the
folder
| local version of the web site is at, great when editing html files
|

| --
| Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
| spybot http://security.kolla.de
| AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
| Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
| http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
| Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
| Catalog of removal tools (1)
| http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
| Catalog of removal tools (2)
| http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
| Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
| http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
| links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before use

| Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
| _
| | Oh!
| |
| | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
| |
| | seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but
the
| | root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
| |
| | "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
| |
| | That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
| |
| |
| | --
| | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | should things get worse after this,
| | PCR
| | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| | | Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
| | | pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up
in
| | the
| | | L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
| | |
| | |
| | | --
| | | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | | should things get worse after this,
| | | PCR
| | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| | that..
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | using a
| | | where he
| | | |
| | | want.
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:44:06 AM

Well, OK, then. But stop starting threads about them, then, if you don't
have any! :-). No, really, try a "/root". Everyone should see it just
once, but never again after that, with the possible exception of
AlmostBob.

--
| I don't need to - no problems over here, remember?
|
| PCR wrote:
| > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| > ...snip

| >> No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.
| >
| > Try this one, then...
| > "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\"
| >
| > ...snip

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:06:41 PM

In my Quick Launch clicking the shortcut to:
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF
opens to "c" highlighted and expanded as you describe.

--
mae

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:o QMJOv6eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
| > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| > ...snip
|
| This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
| Explorer switches).
|
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
|
| I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
| expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way, meaning
| (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
| pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
| complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
| inconvenient for me.
|
| I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
| convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
| (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
|
| But - it won't work right for you!!

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:06:35 PM

try changing the shortcut's target to any of the other possiblities listed,
this one is good too
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, /e, ::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}
opens explorer to the registry setting for the current users 'my documents'
regardless of what it is
--

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
news:o Jl2rsKfFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
In my Quick Launch clicking the shortcut to:
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF
opens to "c" highlighted and expanded as you describe.

--
mae

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o QMJOv6eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| PCR wrote:
| > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| > ...snip
|
| This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
| Explorer switches).
|
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
|
| I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
| expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
meaning
| (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
| pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
| complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
| inconvenient for me.
|
| I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
| convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
| (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
|
| But - it won't work right for you!!

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:51:05 PM

No, I like it the way it is - never changed any.
Quick Launch opens "C" expanded.
Winkey +E opens "My Computer" or explore when right clicking the icon..
I have a toolbar for all my other shortcuts.
--
mae

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o gUzozMfFHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| try changing the shortcut's target to any of the other possiblities
listed,
| this one is good too
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, /e, ::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}
| opens explorer to the registry setting for the current users 'my
documents'
| regardless of what it is
| --
| Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
| spybot http://security.kolla.de
| AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
| Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
| http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
| Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
| Catalog of removal tools (1)
| http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
| Catalog of removal tools (2)
| http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
| Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
| http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
| links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use

| Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
| _
| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| news:o Jl2rsKfFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| In my Quick Launch clicking the shortcut to:
| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF
| opens to "c" highlighted and expanded as you describe.
|
| --
| mae
|

| "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| news:o QMJOv6eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| | PCR wrote:
| | > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| | > ...snip
| |
| | This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
| | Explorer switches).
| |
| | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
| |
| | I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
| | expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
| meaning
| | (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
| | pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
| | complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
| | inconvenient for me.
| |

!