Further comments on the IE6 and browseui problem

I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:

When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane (let's
say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy - BUT..

Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer again,
and you have to repeat the whole damn process!

In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it should!
(and like it did do, pre IE6).

So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!
34 answers Last reply
More about further comments browseui problem

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
    > another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
    >
    > When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
    (let's
    > say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
    > over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy - BUT..
    >
    > Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer
    again,
    > and you have to repeat the whole damn process!

    There is a Registry entry which controls
    how and where Explorer opens.

    Browsing Explorer doesn't change the state of that entry.

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
    >> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
    >>
    >> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
    (let's
    >> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
    >> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy -
    BUT..

    >> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer
    >>again, and you have to repeat the whole damn process!
    >>
    > There is a Registry entry which controls
    > how and where Explorer opens.
    >
    > Browsing Explorer doesn't change the state of that entry.

    I don't know what you're trying to say here: Let me explain:

    I *can* tell you, *unequivocally*, that when I swap out those two browse
    DLLs, everything is fine, and when I put them back, it isn't, in regards to
    THIS issue, and the previous issues already noted. Q.E.D.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130510
    Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer

    I cannot recall what happened in IE5. In IE6, I doubt I ever saw
    Explorer behave as you wish, to open where it left off! (Maybe fool with
    those command-line switches in the Target field of shortcuts ???) Also,
    clicking the plus sign in the L-pane expands it's sub-folders, but
    doesn't select the folder into the R-pane. Clicking a folder in the
    L-pane will select it into the R-pane, but not expand sub-folders in the
    L-pane.

    Chauvin always did say you'd run into peccadilloes, but ???. Well, you
    haven't exposed yourself to XP again, I hope!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PCR wrote:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130510
    > Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer
    >
    > I cannot recall what happened in IE5. In IE6, I doubt I ever saw
    > Explorer behave as you wish, to open where it left off!

    You never saw it? Either you were a) blind, or b) possibly have short
    term memory loss. But it's working just great over here, ever since I
    swapped out those two damn DLLs. (but then again, I'm not takin in all
    those daily updates that y'all are so fond of. Go for it, but count me
    out)

    (Maybe fool with
    > those command-line switches in the Target field of shortcuts ???) Also,
    > clicking the plus sign in the L-pane expands it's sub-folders, but
    > doesn't select the folder into the R-pane. Clicking a folder in the
    > L-pane will select it into the R-pane, but not expand sub-folders in the
    > L-pane.
    >
    > Chauvin always did say you'd run into peccadilloes, but ???. Well, you
    > haven't exposed yourself to XP again, I hope!
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
    >> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
    >>
    >> When you're in Windows Explorer, and select a folder in the left pane
    (let's
    >> say, My Documents) so that it opens/expands in the left pane, and then go
    >> over to the right pane to see its contents, that is fine and dandy -
    BUT..

    >> Close down the Windows Explorer window, and then try Windows Explorer
    again,
    >> and you have to repeat the whole damn process!
    >>
    >> In other words, it doesn't retain focus in the left pane like it should!
    >> (and like it did do, pre IE6).
    >>
    >> So cquirke can add that to his tidbits!

    What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and then expand a
    particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents in the right pane, and
    then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open Windows Explorer it does not
    open to the same folder you chose the last time. Press Winkey+E to open Explorer,
    and it will open with My Computer expanded every time, regardless of where you left
    it last time you closed it.

    If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a shortcut to open
    Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time, or perhaps you are
    using a third-party utility of some sort to enable this? I have never seen the
    behaviour you describe, even on a clean install on Win98 with no updates.....nor did
    I ever see it in Win95.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    glee wrote:
    > What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and then
    > expand a particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents in
    the
    > right pane, and then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open
    > Windows
    > Explorer it does not open to the same folder you chose the last time.
    Press
    > Winkey+E to open Explorer, and it will open with My Computer expanded
    > every time, regardless of where you left it last time you closed it.
    >
    > If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a shortcut to
    open
    > Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time,

    Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies to PCR
    too).
    My bad for not remembering that particular detail!

    BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated. And I like
    it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way it is
    supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)

    | PCR wrote:
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130510
    | > Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer
    | >
    | > I cannot recall what happened in IE5. In IE6, I doubt I ever saw
    | > Explorer behave as you wish, to open where it left off!
    |
    | You never saw it? Either you were a) blind, or b) possibly have
    short
    | term memory loss. But it's working just great over here, ever since
    | swapped out those two damn DLLs. (but then again, I'm not takin in
    all
    | those daily updates that y'all are so fond of. Go for it, but count
    me
    | out)

    A third possibility is my monitor went black each time I saw it, BUT
    what about Glee? Surely it's more likely for you to be batty than both
    of us!

    | glee wrote:
    | > What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and
    then
    | > expand a particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents
    in
    | the
    | > right pane, and then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open
    | > Windows
    | > Explorer it does not open to the same folder you chose the last
    time.
    | Press
    | > Winkey+E to open Explorer, and it will open with My Computer
    expanded
    | > every time, regardless of where you left it last time you closed it.
    | >
    | > If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a
    shortcut to
    | open
    | > Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time,
    |
    | Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies to
    PCR
    | too).
    | My bad for not remembering that particular detail!
    |
    | BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated. And I
    like
    | it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way it
    is
    | supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)

    OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What is
    the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?

    ....snip

    PCR wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> glee wrote:
    >>> What are you talking about, Bill? If you open Windows Explorer and then
    >>> expand a particular folder in the left pane and look at its contents in
    the
    >>> right pane, and then CLOSE Windows Explorer, the next time you open
    >>> Windows
    >>> Explorer it does not open to the same folder you chose the last time.
    Press
    >>> Winkey+E to open Explorer, and it will open with My Computer expanded
    >>> every time, regardless of where you left it last time you closed it.
    >>>
    >>> If you are seeing different behaviour, you are either using a shortcut
    >>> open Explorer, that is set to open to a particular folder every time,
    >>
    >> Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies to
    PCR
    >> too). My bad for not remembering that particular detail!
    >>
    >> BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated. And I
    like
    >> it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way it is
    >> supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)
    >
    > OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What is
    > the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?
    >
    > ...snip

    This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    Explorer switches).

    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

    I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
    expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way, meaning
    (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
    pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
    complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    inconvenient for me.

    I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    (messing with files, installing programs, etc).

    But - it won't work right for you!!

    PCR wrote:
    > OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What
    > is the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?

    Open Explorer to any folder...

    1. Shortcut
    2. In the shortcut "target"...
    C:\Windows\Explorer.exe /n,/e,path to wherever

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Bill in Co. wrote:

    > This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    > Explorer switches).
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    >
    > I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
    > expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way, meaning
    > (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
    > pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
    > complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    > inconvenient for me.
    >
    > I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    > convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    > (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    >
    > But - it won't work right for you!!

    Hi Bill,

    I never use those right panes at all and if ever needed it will just right
    click Explore on whatever Drive or Folder I'm on. I've never made a shortcut
    as you explained.. I just did but I can't get it to do what you have said
    yet although I'm sure it's something I may not being doing as you instructed
    but since I don't use explorer that way though I would of never noticed it
    and so may not be a big focus for me as with the main problems.

    [...]

    > I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
    > another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:

    I must of missed your other post recently that you wrote that you wanted to
    add this onto it?

    Rick

    Rick Chauvin wrote:
    > Bill in Co. wrote:
    >
    >> This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    >> Explorer switches).
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    >>
    >> I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
    >> expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
    meaning
    >> (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
    >> pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
    >> complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    >> inconvenient for me.
    >>
    >> I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    >> convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    >> (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    >>
    >> But - it won't work right for you!!
    >
    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > I never use those right panes at all and if ever needed it will just right
    > click Explore on whatever Drive or Folder I'm on. I've never made a
    shortcut
    > as you explained.. I just did but I can't get it to do what you have said

    And you won't be able to get it to work as its supposed to, w/o either
    swapping those two browse DLLs, or going back to IE 55. (Of course, there
    is always the remote possibility that you are still using IE 55, and have
    applied all the "latest and greatest" windows updates, and that killed it
    too, for all I know)

    > yet although I'm sure it's something I may not being doing as you
    instructed
    > but since I don't use explorer that way though I would of never noticed it
    > and so may not be a big focus for me as with the main problems.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
    >> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
    >
    > I must of missed your other post recently that you wrote that you wanted
    > add this onto it?

    The original post wasn't posted by me, but addressed the problem that
    Windows Explorer had in deleting large numbers of files (this, ever since
    IE6) - it would freeze or hang up for either a few minutes, or indefinitely.
    (Which was totally unacceptable for me).

    And the only "fix" or "solution" was to swap out those two IE6 browse DLL
    files with the older IE55 versions (OR go back to IE55, which would be less
    desireable). Remember?

    > Rick

    Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
    still not 100% sure what it does.

    --

    Bill in Co. wrote:
    > Rick Chauvin wrote:
    >> Bill in Co. wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    >>> Explorer switches).
    >>>
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    >>>
    >>> I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
    >>> to expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
    >>> meaning (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in
    >>> the left pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And
    >>> NOT the complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which
    >>> is more inconvenient for me.
    >>>
    >>> I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    >>> convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    >>> (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    >>>
    >>> But - it won't work right for you!!
    >>
    >> Hi Bill,
    >>
    >> I never use those right panes at all and if ever needed it will just right
    >> click Explore on whatever Drive or Folder I'm on. I've never made a
    >> shortcut as you explained.. I just did but I can't get it to do what you
    >> have said
    >
    > And you won't be able to get it to work as its supposed to, w/o either

    Okay I see, well that issue is a non-use by me so it's small potatoes
    compared to the real issue.

    > swapping those two browse DLLs, or going back to IE 55. (Of course, there
    > is always the remote possibility that you are still using IE 55, and have
    > applied all the "latest and greatest" windows updates, and that killed it
    > too, for all I know)

    Both actually <g>
    ...iow, I have the best of any world I want to but at this second it's IE6.0
    SP1 with all the current updates, but any moment I want to all I need to do
    is press 5 in dos to automatically swap back to the 5.5 dlls if I wanted to
    do what you're doing ..but 99.9% of the time lately I leave it current.

    >> yet although I'm sure it's something I may not being doing as you
    >> instructed but since I don't use explorer that way though I would of
    >> never noticed it and so may not be a big focus for me as with the main
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> I forgot to add this, and I don't think anybody else did, but there is
    >>> another small aberration when using IE6 and its browseui DLL files:
    >>
    >> I must of missed your other post recently that you wrote that you wanted
    >> to add this onto it?
    >
    > The original post wasn't posted by me, but addressed the problem that
    > Windows Explorer had in deleting large numbers of files (this, ever since
    > IE6) - it would freeze or hang up for either a few minutes, or
    > indefinitely. (Which was totally unacceptable for me).
    >
    > And the only "fix" or "solution" was to swap out those two IE6 browse DLL
    > files with the older IE55 versions (OR go back to IE55, which would be less
    > desireable). Remember?

    Yes of course I remember <smile>

    Okay thanks, for a moment I was only thinking maybe you had posted something
    since then and that was what you post your 'Subject' was referring too.

    Well all is the same as it was then with the ie6 9x delete hang...
    <shrug> ):

    take care,

    PCR wrote:
    > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
    > still not 100% sure what it does.

    I think he just uses:

    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    or
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
    or
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\

    ...or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going using a
    created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of where he
    wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..

    I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I want.

    | PCR wrote:
    | > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | the
    | Press

    | >> Correct. Yes, you're right Glen - I stand corrected. (Apologies
    | PCR
    | >> too). My bad for not remembering that particular detail!
    | >>
    | >> BUT - even with that shortcut, I get the results I just stated.
    And I
    | like
    | >> it a LOT better the way it is now, and (I believe) it works the way
    it is
    | >> supposed to, but ONLY with the DLL swap)
    | >
    | > OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What
    is
    | > the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?
    | >
    | > ...snip
    |
    | This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on
    Windows
    | Explorer switches).
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

    That one (for me in IE6 SP1, fully updated) opens Explorer to C:\,
    expanded one level in the L-pane. That is, all the folders in the top
    level of C:\ are showing, with a plus sign left of the ones that have
    sub-folders. In the R-pane, all the folders & files in the top level of
    C:\ are showing.

    BUT (as you seem to be saying otherwise), ALL OTHER drives &
    psuedo-folders are also there in the L-pane. It is really the same as...

    (a) "WindowsKey+E"
    (b) Click the plus sign left of C:\
    (Expands one level.)
    (c) Click C:\
    (Puts it in R-Pane.)

    And I get the same effect with just "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE". Also...

    (a) "START, Find, F/F, Explorer.scf".
    (Should be in C:\Windows.)
    (b) Copy it to the Desktop or Quick Launch bar.

    It seems to do the same as the others.

    | I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right
    panes to
    | expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
    meaning
    | (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the
    left
    | pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT
    the
    | complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    | inconvenient for me.

    You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER have
    exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)

    | I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and
    very
    | convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    | (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    |
    | But - it won't work right for you!!

    "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,F:\" or any legit letter does work for
    me!

    PCR wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> PCR wrote:
    >>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    PCR

    >>> OK. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I still don't quite get it. What is
    >>> the shortcut, so I can test it in IE6?
    >>>
    >>> ...snip
    >>
    >> This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    >> Explorer switches).
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    >
    > That one (for me in IE6 SP1, fully updated) opens Explorer to C:\,
    > expanded one level in the L-pane. That is, all the folders in the top
    > level of C:\ are showing, with a plus sign left of the ones that have
    > sub-folders. In the R-pane, all the folders & files in the top level of
    > C:\ are showing.
    >
    > BUT (as you seem to be saying otherwise), ALL OTHER drives &
    > psuedo-folders are also there in the L-pane. It is really the same as...
    >
    > (a) "WindowsKey+E"
    > (b) Click the plus sign left of C:\
    > (Expands one level.)
    > (c) Click C:\
    > (Puts it in R-Pane.)
    >
    > And I get the same effect with just "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE". Also...
    >
    > (a) "START, Find, F/F, Explorer.scf".
    > (Should be in C:\Windows.)
    > (b) Copy it to the Desktop or Quick Launch bar.
    >
    > It seems to do the same as the others.
    >

    >> I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
    >> expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
    meaning
    >> (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
    >> pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
    >> complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    >> inconvenient for me.
    >
    > You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER have
    > exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)

    No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.

    The point is, I want Windows Explorer to "retain focus" in the left and
    right panes the way *I want it to be* - the way *I set it up to be*.

    >> I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    >> convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    >> (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    >>
    >> But - it won't work right for you!!
    >
    > "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,F:\" or any legit letter does work for
    > me!

    Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in the
    L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?

    --

    PCR wrote:
    > Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    > pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in the
    > L-pane.

    Me too, just like that, and it seems fine.. I guess.

    Maybe I don't get it, but it seems fine for me.

    > Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?

    I remember he toy'd with lots of different things.. But you have a handle on
    it so I will let you lead.

    nice to say hello to ya,
    bye,
    Rick

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >| PCR wrote:
    >| > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
    >| > still not 100% sure what it does.
    >|
    >| I think he just uses:
    >|
    >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    >| or
    >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
    >| or
    >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
    >|
    >| ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going using
    >| a created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
    >| where he wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
    >|
    >| I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I want.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Oh!

    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\

    seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but the
    root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!

    "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"

    That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!

    --
    | Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    | pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
    the
    | L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | | PCR wrote:
    | | > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut
    that..
    | | > still not 100% sure what it does.
    | |
    | | I think he just uses:
    | |
    | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    | | or
    | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
    | | or
    | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
    | |
    | | ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
    | using a
    | | created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
    | where he
    | | wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
    | |
    | | I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I
    | want.
    | |
    | |

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Regardless of what you do, you STILL have that hangup problem on deleting a
    large number of files, which is totally unacceptable (to me), unless you
    swap out those two DLLs.

    PCR wrote:
    > Oh!
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
    >
    > seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but the
    > root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
    >
    > "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
    >
    > That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    >> Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    >> pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in the
    >> L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >> should things get worse after this,
    >> PCR
    >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I think he just uses:
    >>>
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    >>> or
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
    >>> or
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
    >>>
    >>> ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
    using a
    >>> created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
    where
    >>> he wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
    >>>
    >>> I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I want.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yea, OK, nice. But see my update (to myself), before seeing this
    response of yours. "/root" is the thing. Looks weird, though! A guy
    could think his HDD was wiped!

    --
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    | > pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
    the
    | > L-pane.
    |
    | Me too, just like that, and it seems fine.. I guess.
    |
    | Maybe I don't get it, but it seems fine for me.
    |
    | > Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
    |
    | I remember he toy'd with lots of different things.. But you have a
    handle on
    | it so I will let you lead.
    |
    | nice to say hello to ya,
    | bye,
    | Rick
    |

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | >|
    | >| I think he just uses:
    | >|
    | >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    | >| or
    | >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
    | >| or
    | >| C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
    | >|
    | >| ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
    using
    | >| a created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu
    of
    | >| where he wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have
    them..
    | >|
    | >| I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I
    want.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCR wrote:
    > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
    > still not 100% sure what it does.

    Winkey + E et al = WinExplorer with "My Computer" expanded.

    His shortcut = WinExplorer with C: expanded. Saves clicking the + in
    front of C: :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    That's right. It also saves clicking C:\ itself, to put it into the
    R-pane. Try this one, dadiOH...

    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\

    I am sure Colorado will take all complaints & lawsuits should you drop
    dead of thinking your HDD was wiped!

    --
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Thanks. But I was asking for Colorado's own magical shortcut that..
    | > still not 100% sure what it does.
    |
    | Winkey + E et al = WinExplorer with "My Computer" expanded.
    |
    | His shortcut = WinExplorer with C: expanded. Saves clicking the + in
    | front of C: :)
    |
    | --
    | dadiOH
    | ____________________________
    |
    | dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    | ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    | LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    | Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ....snip

    | You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane???

    Oh! "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\" does that.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    its great for setting up shortcuts to data folders, though
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,"C:\web pages\w1\" opens at the folder
    local version of the web site is at, great when editing html files

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    | Oh!
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
    |
    | seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but the
    | root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
    |
    | "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
    |
    | That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    | | pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
    | the
    | | L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
    | |
    | |
    | | --
    | | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | should things get worse after this,
    | | PCR
    | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | that..
    | | |
    | | | I think he just uses:
    | | |
    | | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    | | | or
    | | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,D:\
    | | | or
    | | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,E:\
    | | |
    | | | ..or whatever drive/folder he wants to get to from where he's going
    | | using a
    | | | created quickie shortcut there to get right into the Explore menu of
    | | where he
    | | | wants. It's just a personal preference ..we all have them..
    | | |
    | | | I guess I usually just go to MyComputer and click whatever drive I
    | | want.
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    | |

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    ....snip

    | > You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER
    have
    | > exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)
    |
    | No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.

    Try this one, then...
    "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\"

    ....snip
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I don't need to - no problems over here, remember?

    PCR wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > ...snip
    >>>
    >>> You DON'T see the other drives in the L-pane??? (You should NEVER have
    >>> exposed yourself to XP that time, Colorado!)
    >>
    >> No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.
    >
    > Try this one, then...
    > "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\"
    >
    > ...snip
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Let's not get vindictive, now!

    --
    | Regardless of what you do, you STILL have that hangup problem on
    deleting a
    | large number of files, which is totally unacceptable (to me), unless
    you
    | swap out those two DLLs.
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Oh!
    | >
    | > C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
    | >
    | > seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but
    the
    | > root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
    | >
    | > "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
    | >
    | > That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | >> Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    | >> pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up in
    the
    | >> L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
    | >>

    | >> --
    | >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    | >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    | >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    | >> should things get worse after this,
    | >> PCR
    | >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | >> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    | using a
    | where

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yea, looks like it has it's usefulness. Still, I say, it is weird-- &
    all Colorado's fault!

    --
    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | its great for setting up shortcuts to data folders, though
    | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,"C:\web pages\w1\" opens at the
    folder
    | local version of the web site is at, great when editing html files
    |

    | --
    | Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    | spybot http://security.kolla.de
    | AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    | Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    | http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    | Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    | Catalog of removal tools (1)
    | http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    | Catalog of removal tools (2)
    | http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    | Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    | http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    | links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    before use

    | Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    | _
    | | Oh!
    | |
    | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\
    | |
    | | seems to do what he is saying. "/root" seems to eliminate all but
    the
    | | root folder & below. It's a little weird, though!
    | |
    | | "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,F:\My Downloads\Microsoft"
    | |
    | | That shows just my Microsoft download folder & below. Geez!
    | |
    | |
    | | --
    | | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | should things get worse after this,
    | | PCR
    | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | | Those work for me. So does Explorer.scf. But, all drives &
    | | | pseudo-folders (such as a second My Documents) will also show up
    in
    | | the
    | | | L-pane. Remember that day poor old Colorado was toying with XP?
    | | |
    | | |
    | | | --
    | | | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | | should things get worse after this,
    | | | PCR
    | | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | | "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | | that..
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | | using a
    | | | where he
    | | | |
    | | | want.
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    | |

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, OK, then. But stop starting threads about them, then, if you don't
    have any! :-). No, really, try a "/root". Everyone should see it just
    once, but never again after that, with the possible exception of
    AlmostBob.

    --
    | I don't need to - no problems over here, remember?
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | > ...snip

    | >> No, they are there, but you have to scroll to see them.
    | >
    | > Try this one, then...
    | > "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:\"
    | >
    | > ...snip

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    In my Quick Launch clicking the shortcut to:
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF
    opens to "c" highlighted and expanded as you describe.

    --
    mae

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:OQMJOv6eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | PCR wrote:
    | > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | > ...snip
    |
    | This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    | Explorer switches).
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    |
    | I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
    | expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way, meaning
    | (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
    | pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
    | complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    | inconvenient for me.
    |
    | I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    | convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    | (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    |
    | But - it won't work right for you!!

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    try changing the shortcut's target to any of the other possiblities listed,
    this one is good too
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, /e, ::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}
    opens explorer to the registry setting for the current users 'my documents'
    regardless of what it is
    --

    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    In my Quick Launch clicking the shortcut to:
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF
    opens to "c" highlighted and expanded as you describe.

    --
    mae

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | PCR wrote:
    | > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | > ...snip
    |
    | This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    | Explorer switches).
    |
    | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    |
    | I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes to
    | expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
    meaning
    | (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
    | pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
    | complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    | inconvenient for me.
    |
    | I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    | convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    | (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    |
    | But - it won't work right for you!!

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    No, I like it the way it is - never changed any.
    Quick Launch opens "C" expanded.
    Winkey +E opens "My Computer" or explore when right clicking the icon..
    I have a toolbar for all my other shortcuts.
    --
    mae

    | try changing the shortcut's target to any of the other possiblities
    listed,
    | this one is good too
    | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, /e, ::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}
    | opens explorer to the registry setting for the current users 'my
    documents'
    | regardless of what it is
    | --
    | Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    | spybot http://security.kolla.de
    | AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    | Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    | http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    | Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    | Catalog of removal tools (1)
    | http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    | Catalog of removal tools (2)
    | http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    | Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    | http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    | links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    | Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    | _
    | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    | In my Quick Launch clicking the shortcut to:
    | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF
    | opens to "c" highlighted and expanded as you describe.
    |
    | --
    | mae
    |

    | "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | | PCR wrote:
    | | > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | | > ...snip
    | |
    | | This is the shortcut: (adapted from some MS web site article on Windows
    | | Explorer switches).
    | |
    | | C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\
    | |
    | | I always use this shortcut for Explorer to get the left and right panes
    | | expand properly (with C: shown in the left pane) and stay that way,
    | meaning
    | | (since that shortcut is for C:\), THAT is what I want to see in the left
    | | pane (C:\), whenever I open Explorer using that shortcut. And NOT the
    | | complete tree showing all the drives on the system, etc, which is more
    | | inconvenient for me.
    | |
    | | I also have separate shortcuts for D:, E:, and F: Very handy and very
    | | convenient, if you spend a lot of time in Windows Explorer, which I do
    | | (messing with files, installing programs, etc).
    | |
    | | But - it won't work right for you!!
    | |
    | |