iPAQ 6340 - restore & Server ActiveSync error SYNC_22

October 29, 2004 11:09:27 AM

I have an iPAQ 6340 and use Server ActiveSync to access our Exchange server.

This works fine when I configure the iPAQ from a hard reset.

However, if I backup the iPAQ (using the iPAQ Backup utility) and
subsequently hard reset & restore the backup I find that the Server
ActiveSync wont work.

I get the following errors:-

1. "Synchronization (sp!) Error" in a dialogue box when the scheduled sync
takes place
2. If I click on the "Errors" link on the ActiveSync page on the iPAQ I get
the following:
"A critical error has occured and sync failed. The next time you sync,
you will be prompted to overwrite the data on your device with data from the
server. You will lose only the changes made since your last successful sync.
Error code: SYNC_22"

However, the data is never over written, and the above errors appear at
every sync.

This error renders the backup/restore process useless, as the only way I
have been able to fix the problem is to hard reset the device and rebuild
from scratch.

All other functions work fine, and I have connectivity to the network.

Any help would be appreciated in resolving this issue.

--
Simon Coupland
Peak District, UK

Simon,
Is the Certificate you installed on the ipaq back in the device ?
Check under the certificates ....are you using a purchased one or a home made?

Is SSL enabled ? Is windows integrated authentication set for the virtual
directory of Microsoft-server-activesync on the server ?

By the way does the exchange environment contain Load balanced front end
servers ??? with 2k3 RTM and SP1 ??? if so.... maybe one of the front end is
not updated with Exchange 2003 SP1 ?

Have you also tried creating a new virtual directory and try to sync ???

Let me know

MSK

Also check

"Simon Coupland" wrote:

> I have an iPAQ 6340 and use Server ActiveSync to access our Exchange server.
>
> This works fine when I configure the iPAQ from a hard reset.
>
> However, if I backup the iPAQ (using the iPAQ Backup utility) and
> subsequently hard reset & restore the backup I find that the Server
> ActiveSync wont work.
>
> I get the following errors:-
>
> 1. "Synchronization (sp!) Error" in a dialogue box when the scheduled sync
> takes place
> 2. If I click on the "Errors" link on the ActiveSync page on the iPAQ I get
> the following:
> "A critical error has occured and sync failed. The next time you sync,
> you will be prompted to overwrite the data on your device with data from the
> server. You will lose only the changes made since your last successful sync.
> Error code: SYNC_22"
>
> However, the data is never over written, and the above errors appear at
> every sync.
>
> This error renders the backup/restore process useless, as the only way I
> have been able to fix the problem is to hard reset the device and rebuild
> from scratch.
>
> All other functions work fine, and I have connectivity to the network.
>
> Any help would be appreciated in resolving this issue.
>
> --
> Simon Coupland
> Peak District, UK

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 12:28:01 AM

"Illuminati" <Illuminati@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Simon,
> Is the Certificate you installed on the ipaq back in the device
?
> Check under the certificates ....are you using a purchased one or a home
made?

What certificate, I dont install one when I setup the iPAQ in the first
place, so wouldn't expect to find one after a "restore"

> Is SSL enabled ? Is windows integrated authentication set for the virtual
> directory of Microsoft-server-activesync on the server ?

SSL is enabled. I dont know how the server environment is set-up.

> By the way does the exchange environment contain Load balanced front end
> servers ??? with 2k3 RTM and SP1 ??? if so.... maybe one of the front end
is
> not updated with Exchange 2003 SP1 ?

As above, I dont know how the servers are setup. However, all works fine on
the iPAQ from a fresh install, it's only after a backup/restore cycle on the
iPAQ that I get ther erros. I'm assuming something doesn't get put back
properly after the restore, but I dont know where to look.

> Have you also tried creating a new virtual directory and try to sync ???

No, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking me to do here.

--
Simon Coupland
Peak District, UK

--
JLidbury
May 31, 2005 3:43:08 PM

Illuminati wrote:
> *Simon,
> Is the Certificate you installed on the ipaq back in the device ?
> Check under the certificates ....are you using a purchased one or a
> home made?
>
> Is SSL enabled ? Is windows integrated authentication set for the
> virtual
> directory of Microsoft-server-activesync on the server ?
>
> By the way does the exchange environment contain Load balanced front
> end
> servers ??? with 2k3 RTM and SP1 ??? if so.... maybe one of the front
> end is
> not updated with Exchange 2003 SP1 ?
>
> Have you also tried creating a new virtual directory and try to sync
> ???
>
> Let me know
>
> MSK
>
> Also check
>
> "Simon Coupland" wrote:
>
> > I have an iPAQ 6340 and use Server ActiveSync to access our
> Exchange server.
> >
> > This works fine when I configure the iPAQ from a hard reset.
> >
> > However, if I backup the iPAQ (using the iPAQ Backup utility) and
> > subsequently hard reset & restore the backup I find that the
> Server
> > ActiveSync wont work.
> >
> > I get the following errors:-
> >
> > 1. "Synchronization (sp!) Error" in a dialogue box when the
> scheduled sync
> > takes place
> > 2. If I click on the "Errors" link on the ActiveSync page on the
> iPAQ I get
> > the following:
> > "A critical error has occured and sync failed. The next time
> you sync,
> > you will be prompted to overwrite the data on your device with data
> from the
> > server. You will lose only the changes made since your last
> successful sync.
> > Error code: SYNC_22"
> >
> > However, the data is never over written, and the above errors
> appear at
> > every sync.
> >
> > This error renders the backup/restore process useless, as the only
> way I
> > have been able to fix the problem is to hard reset the device and
> rebuild
> > from scratch.
> >
> > All other functions work fine, and I have connectivity to the
> network.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated in resolving this issue.
> >
> > --
> > Simon Coupland
> > Peak District, UK
> >

> > *

I have has a similar problem for a few days on an XDAII, i finally
solved the problem by changing the email syncronization on activesync
so it syncronised with the PC not server, then changed it back to sync
with the server.

This resolved the problems for me, hope it workd for you.. If you
haven't already solved it or ot happend again.

Jon Lidbury
Harlow UK

--
JLidbury
May 31, 2005 3:45:22 PM

--
JLidbury
June 7, 2005 5:01:09 PM

I think the real problem here is that if you are in the field and your
pda resets for some reason and you do need to restore, then you should
be able to connect again to your exchange server via GPRS or WiFi with
having to go back to your computer, which you may not get to for a few
days. What is the point of a backup if it does not restore correctly.

I have the sync_22 error after a restore. I will not get to my computer
in the office for about 10 days, so I am unable to collect email.

--
bigjohnuk