100% cpu usage Problem

The system is an HP Pavilon 6553 running Win 98se. I was trying to get it
to network with a win XP computer so I used the network comfigration thing
(sorry, I forgot what it was called) on Win XP. It said that I could make a
configuration disk to put on the other computer and use it to comfigure the
other computer to share files and printers. I never could get it to work so
I disabled file and print sharing on both computers. Ever since I ran the
configuration disk on the Win 98se system it has had a problem with
freezing for no apparent reasion and running sort of slow. Turnning down
the hardware accelleration solved the freezing problem but according to
freeramXP Pro its still is running at 100% cpu usage. I have run
avast!,AVG, Ad-aware, and TweekNow RegCleaner on the system but all come
up empty. I elimited a number of unnessary programs from running and used
wintop to see what was using the CPU but it says that the system idle
process is using the most percentage. What should I do. What is the system
doing that could use the cpu that much?

System Idle Process means the percent of the CPU that is IDLE....that means NOT
being used. In other words, if the System Idle Process is a high percentage, that
means that a high percentage of the CPU is available. Look up the word "idle" in a
dictionary.

I suggest you get rid of that "freeram" program as they do no good and cause much
harm, BTW.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

MadMatt2024 wrote:
> The system is an HP Pavilon 6553 running Win 98se. I was trying to get it
> to network with a win XP computer so I used the network comfigration thing
> (sorry, I forgot what it was called) on Win XP. It said that I could make a
> configuration disk to put on the other computer and use it to comfigure the
> other computer to share files and printers.

That is intended for other Windows XP computers only I'm afraid. It's
where you say configure sharing and then select "I have a floppy" or
something.

> I never could get it to work so
> I disabled file and print sharing on both computers. Ever since I ran the
> configuration disk on the Win 98se system it has had a problem with
> freezing for no apparent reasion and running sort of slow.

Only thing I can think of related to sharing would be that there are
some maped network drives that aren't connected to anything and you're
experiencing timeouts (30 second waits).

> Turnning down
> the hardware accelleration solved the freezing problem

Sounds like it has nothing to do with the networking issue.

And turning down hardware acceleration for what? Graphics? Sound?

> but according to
> freeramXP Pro its still is running at 100% cpu usage. I have run
> avast!,AVG, Ad-aware, and TweekNow RegCleaner on the system but all come
> up empty. I elimited a number of unnessary programs from running and used
> wintop to see what was using the CPU but it says that the system idle
> process is using the most percentage. What should I do. What is the system
> doing that could use the cpu that much?

Idle is idle as idle. Look it up in a dictionary.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian: