Unable to Defrag

Hi,

I have just been informed by email that my Daughter is unable to carry
out a defrag on her HP desktop pc using W98.
She is aware of shutting down progs etc and has successfuly carried out
this process in the past

The following message now appears, "C drive is a locked utility".

I would appreciate any comments on how to rectify this problem.

Thanks
--
Regards
Geordie.

Is that the exact, verbatim error message? Because it returns zero hits
using Google. I would more expect that C drive has been locked *by* a
utility.

See if the first error message mentioned in the following article is
what your daughter is getting:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=286810

Might also have your daughter refer to the articles linked in my
signature. Follow them religiously and use Scandisk, not any other disk
utility, to scan the HD--but DO NOT fix anything until she has referred
any errors found to an expert forum. In many situations, particularly
when the drive is going bad or there are configuration problems (like
the BIOS has the drive geometry wrong), Scandisk or any other similar
tool can make a bad situation worse real quick.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Geordie wrote:
> I have just been informed by email that my Daughter is unable to carry
> out a defrag on her HP desktop pc using W98.
> She is aware of shutting down progs etc and has successfuly carried out
> this process in the past
>
> The following message now appears, "C drive is a locked utility".
>
> I would appreciate any comments on how to rectify this problem.

Probably "C drive is locked by a utility", but I don't think that
Windows 98 could ever produce that error, sound much more like 2000/XP
and not defragmenter but scandisk!

Are you SURE this is a Windows 98 computer and the error is produced by
the Defragmenter??

If yes, please provide details on what the hardware configuration is,
what motherboard is in the computer and what is the harddrive brand,
also what disk managment software are you using.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian: