index.dat?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 28, 2005 5:32:02 AM

I read somewhere that even if you empty the Temp Internet folder and My
History and all that, Windows still keep a record of all of your internet
visits in the index.dat file. I also read that Windows won't let you delete
this file, but if you do (from DOS), it's okay and won't crash your computer.
What are the dangers of deleting the index.dat file located in:
C:\Windows\UserData ?
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 ?
C:\Windows\Cookies ?

I'm lazy. How do I rig Windows to delete 'em for me while it's still in DOS
mode when it is just starting up.

More about : index dat

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:43:53 PM

"Abraham" <Abraham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> What are the dangers of deleting the index.dat file located in:
> C:\Windows\UserData ?
> C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 ?
> C:\Windows\Cookies ?
>
> I'm lazy. How do I rig Windows to delete 'em for me while it's still in
DOS
> mode when it is just starting up.

Although Windows uses the same filename INDEX.DAT
for each, these are three different system files, used to
speed up the system (e.g. when listing Cookies, retrieving
for display recent data from Temp. Internet Files). So you
can delete them, which will make the data unorganized,
so when the system needs any of this data it will either
be unable to find it or retrieve it more slowly. Why on
earth would you want to do this?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Abraham wrote:
> I read somewhere that even if you empty the Temp Internet folder and My
> History and all that, Windows still keep a record of all of your internet
> visits in the index.dat file. I also read that Windows won't let you delete
> this file, but if you do (from DOS), it's okay and won't crash your computer.
> What are the dangers of deleting the index.dat file located in:
> C:\Windows\UserData ?
> C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 ?
> C:\Windows\Cookies ?

TweakUI's paranoia tools help better there but.

If you really want to...

Add lines like:
del C:\windows\cookies\index.dat

....to your C:\Autoexe.bat file.