index.dat?

I read somewhere that even if you empty the Temp Internet folder and My
History and all that, Windows still keep a record of all of your internet
visits in the index.dat file. I also read that Windows won't let you delete
this file, but if you do (from DOS), it's okay and won't crash your computer.
What are the dangers of deleting the index.dat file located in:
C:\Windows\UserData ?
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 ?
C:\Windows\Cookies ?

I'm lazy. How do I rig Windows to delete 'em for me while it's still in DOS
mode when it is just starting up.
16 answers Last reply
More about index

    "Abraham" <Abraham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > What are the dangers of deleting the index.dat file located in:
    > C:\Windows\UserData ?
    > C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 ?
    > C:\Windows\Cookies ?
    >
    > I'm lazy. How do I rig Windows to delete 'em for me while it's still in
    DOS
    > mode when it is just starting up.

    Although Windows uses the same filename INDEX.DAT
    for each, these are three different system files, used to
    speed up the system (e.g. when listing Cookies, retrieving
    for display recent data from Temp. Internet Files). So you
    can delete them, which will make the data unorganized,
    so when the system needs any of this data it will either
    be unable to find it or retrieve it more slowly. Why on
    earth would you want to do this?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Abraham wrote:
    > I read somewhere that even if you empty the Temp Internet folder and My
    > History and all that, Windows still keep a record of all of your internet
    > visits in the index.dat file. I also read that Windows won't let you delete
    > this file, but if you do (from DOS), it's okay and won't crash your computer.
    > What are the dangers of deleting the index.dat file located in:
    > C:\Windows\UserData ?
    > C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 ?
    > C:\Windows\Cookies ?

    TweakUI's paranoia tools help better there but.

    If you really want to...

    Add lines like:
    del C:\windows\cookies\index.dat

    ....to your C:\Autoexe.bat file.