Windows protection error?

My pc is coming up with a "windows protection error" when I try to boot up.
How can I correct this?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows protection error

    there are many windows protection errors, the fix is in the details
    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "paulatricities" <paulatricities@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My pc is coming up with a "windows protection error" when I try to boot
    up.
    | How can I correct this?

    It comes up with "Windows protection error. You need to restart your
    computer. Press any key to continue......." then when you press a key the
    keyboard continuously beeps and it locks up. We have run AVG antivirus,
    Adware, Norton Utilities and also GOBACK and it doesn't find any viruses or
    problems, but it still comes up with the same error. It will boot up in safe
    mode, but it doesn't see the cdrom drives. We have tried booting on floppy
    with a Win98 startup disk, to load the cdrom drive and reload windows but it
    won't read the cdrom. We even ran system file check and it still didn't find
    any problems. What would be the best thing to try next??

    "AlmostBob" wrote:

    > there are many windows protection errors, the fix is in the details
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    >
    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "paulatricities" <paulatricities@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | My pc is coming up with a "windows protection error" when I try to boot
    > up.
    > | How can I correct this?

    there are a number of possiblities that jump to mind

    second choice
    In DOS mode
    scanreg /restore the registry from the day before the problem began if the
    problem began recently

    First Choice
    In safe mode, try IErepair, since internet explorer, explorer and everything
    are so tightly entwined
    in the tools menu of System Information (msinfo32.exe)
    either find it somewhere in your start menu
    or start
    run
    msinfo32
    [tools]
    Internet explorer repair tool

    I like the IE repair tool as a starter

    GoBack is a pig

    DONT use SFC for that purpose, that may well be the cause of your problems
    not the solution, SFC does not check for wrong files, it checks for
    different fiiles (different from its internal database), but unless you have
    updated the data for SFC everytime you install,
    update,upgrade,change,reconfigure anything, the database of file version
    numbers will be wrong. restoring prior versions of system files because sfc
    says so, is generally considered a very bad idea
    IF you have used SFC and changed file versions it is usually easier to
    reformat and reinstall than it is to repair

    try www.bootdisk.com for a bootdisk with cdrom support

    _
    | It comes up with "Windows protection error. You need to restart your
    | computer. Press any key to continue......." then when you press a key the
    | keyboard continuously beeps and it locks up. We have run AVG antivirus,
    | Adware, Norton Utilities and also GOBACK and it doesn't find any viruses
    or
    | problems, but it still comes up with the same error. It will boot up in
    safe
    | mode, but it doesn't see the cdrom drives. We have tried booting on floppy
    | with a Win98 startup disk, to load the cdrom drive and reload windows but
    it
    | won't read the cdrom. We even ran system file check and it still didn't
    find
    | any problems. What would be the best thing to try next??
    |
    | "AlmostBob" wrote:
    |

    | > there are many windows protection errors, the fix is in the details
    | > --
    | > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    | > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    | > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    | > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    | > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    | > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    | > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    | > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    | > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    | > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    | > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    | > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    | > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    | > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    | > _
    | > "paulatricities" <paulatricities@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | > | My pc is coming up with a "windows protection error" when I try to
    boot
    | > up.
    | > | How can I correct this?

Boot Microsoft Windows