Not Enough Memory to complet this operation

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition. When I try to do a simple
cut-and-past, I get the familiar message:

Not Enough Memory to complet this operation. Quit one or more
application .....

The problem is, I've made no recent changes to my system. Worse, the
problem doesn't go away when I restart my system. And, sometimes, as
in the cut-and-past below, it mysteriously deigns to work

Here's what happens when I type memory:

Memory Type Total Used Free
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Conventional 640K 39K 601K
Upper 0K 0K 0K
Reserved 0K 0K 0K
Extended (XMS) 65,472K ? 129,872K
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Total memory 66,112K ? 130,473K

Total under 1 MB 640K 39K 601K

Total Expanded (EMS) 64M (67,108,864 bytes)
Free Expanded (EMS) 16M (16,777,216 bytes)

Largest executable program size 601K (614,912 bytes)
Largest free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

Any idea what gives?

Cut and Paste in what program?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Gary wrote:

> I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition. When I try to do a simple
> cut-and-past, I get the familiar message:
>

> Not Enough Memory to complet this operation. Quit one or more
> application .....
>
> The problem is, I've made no recent changes to my system. Worse, the
> problem doesn't go away when I restart my system. And, sometimes, as
> in the cut-and-past below, it mysteriously deigns to work
>
> Here's what happens when I type memory:
>

> Memory Type Total Used Free
> ---------------- -------- -------- --------
> Conventional 640K 39K 601K
> Upper 0K 0K 0K
> Reserved 0K 0K 0K
> Extended (XMS) 65,472K ? 129,872K
> ---------------- -------- -------- --------
> Total memory 66,112K ? 130,473K
>
> Total under 1 MB 640K 39K 601K
>
> Total Expanded (EMS) 64M (67,108,864 bytes)
> Free Expanded (EMS) 16M (16,777,216 bytes)
>
> Largest executable program size 601K (614,912 bytes)
> Largest free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)
> MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.
>

> Any idea what gives?

Windows can be a bit ambiguous with its low memory errors.

Windows applications are typically generated in modules. A core module
remains in the computer's memory the whole time the application is
running. The remaining modules, both code and data, are subject to
temporary removal to a hard disk area called the swap file or "virtual
memory" when other applications have the user's focus (window on top) OR
an application needs more memory that is installed in the computer.
Minimum RAM requirements for an application are based on the size of the
core module added to the combinations of swapable modules that are
REQUIRED to be in actual memory for the application to function. RAM
available to the application will be reduced by the memory used by the
core modules of other running applications.

IF space is available on the hard drive where Windows is configured to
keep the swap file, up to 2 Gigabytes of the hard disk could potentially
be used for application modules AND up to 2 Gigabytes could potentially
be used to store operating systems modules. In actual practice the swap
file will usually be somewhere between a few Megabytes and a half Gigabyte.

The mem command in a DOS Window (called a "command line" in some
versions of Windows) is a holdover from earlier Microsoft operating
systems and doesn't show ANY information about the swap file. You MAY
find a resource meter utility in your Windows installation that will
reflect the changing state of your computer's memory and swap file useage.

Low memory area errors may result when:

The core modules for the running programs need more memory than is
installed on the computer.

With the core modules for other running applications in memory, an
application needs more space to return swapable modules from the swap
file to actual memory than is available. Running applications MAY
include device drivers and application core modules loaded when the
operating system is started.

Special data tables the operating system uses to keep track of all the
applications and the operating system's own functions run out of the
limited space they are allotted (actual electronic memory).

The operating system needs more space for the swap file than is
available on the hard drive. this may be a consequence of a hard drive
that is running out of space OR the maximum space allocated for swap
file use is smaller than would support the user's activities on the
computer.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:40:26 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Cut and Paste in what program?

I copy contacts from Microsoft Access, and I past it to a text file
under NotePad.

I've been doing this for 1 1/2 years now, and it's only been a problem
for about a week. Intermitant at first, now it seems permanent.

The only recent big change I've made to my system is the addition of
an HP5510 all-in-one. Because I have a small hard-drive, I made the
smallest installation possible. This was a month ago.

The only thing else is that my REALPlayer keeps on popping up out of
nowhere and asks if I want to download things.

PS--You might want to ask this question in the Access support
newsgroups. As I said, it's likely that this is a more general problem,
but there are several cases documented when specific actions using
specific apps cause this specific error. I don't see any similar cases
mentioned in the KB, but that doesn't mean the Access gurus don't know
about a lot more. Then again, it might be Clipboard problem.

--

<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Cut and Paste in what program?

It turned out that that what was my problem was, sort of.

I was pasting to a text document running under "NOTEPAD." It seems
that the file (of accumulated pastes) was getting too big for Notepad
(about 36K.) The system, rather than telling me I was overloading
Notepad specifically, just called out a memory overload.

When I created a new NotePad file, everything went along OK.

Since this is a general win98 discussion group, I hope this is of use
to someone

Gary

*Another* reason to upgrade to XP, <s>! If there is a size limit to
Notepad files, I haven't run into it, and I make some pretty big ones on
occasion.

Glad you discovered the issue. Carry on.

--

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:40:26 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Cut and Paste in what program?
>
> It turned out that that what was my problem was, sort of.
>
> I was pasting to a text document running under "NOTEPAD." It seems
> that the file (of accumulated pastes) was getting too big for Notepad
> (about 36K.) The system, rather than telling me I was overloading
> Notepad specifically, just called out a memory overload.
>
> When I created a new NotePad file, everything went along OK.
>
> Since this is a general win98 discussion group, I hope this is of use
> to someone
>
> Gary

Yep....you hit the "edit limit" for Notepad (and any text editor of its ilk). There
are Notepad replacements that are quick and simple like Notepad, but avoid the size
limit. I use this one--
TheGun Text Editor (GrownUp Notepad):
http://www.movsd.com/thegun.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Gary" <gary41@stowetel.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:40:26 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >Cut and Paste in what program?
>
> It turned out that that what was my problem was, sort of.
>
> I was pasting to a text document running under "NOTEPAD." It seems
> that the file (of accumulated pastes) was getting too big for Notepad
> (about 36K.) The system, rather than telling me I was overloading
> Notepad specifically, just called out a memory overload.
>
> When I created a new NotePad file, everything went along OK.
>
> Since this is a general win98 discussion group, I hope this is of use
> to someone
>
> Gary

You can search google for "notepad replacement".

I find win32pad very good (http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/).

Ivan

<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Cut and Paste in what program?

It turned out that that what was my problem was, sort of.

I was pasting to a text document running under "NOTEPAD." It seems
that the file (of accumulated pastes) was getting too big for Notepad
(about 36K.) The system, rather than telling me I was overloading
Notepad specifically, just called out a memory overload.

When I created a new NotePad file, everything went along OK.

Since this is a general win98 discussion group, I hope this is of use
to someone

Gary

Or Metapad (which I think is outstanding - I never use std Notepad anymore)
http://liquidninja.com/metapad/