nategarst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
My friend has a Celeron R processor that he wants to still use but needs a new motherboard for it. What socket does he need? All I could find out on the net is for Celeron D and M's, is it still a 478 pin like the other two? I'm out of my element when it comes to Intels. Thanks in advance.

TONY_M07

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Im probably wrong, but I googled it ad the only thing i cam up with was Celeron R (as in registered trade mark) is that the case? Because some sites that do not have the R witht the circle around it simply put

Celeron (R)

Hope this is the case or else im stumped too:p

nategarst

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Processor is about 2 years old and not a mobile one. It s hard to tell him what to do for CPU-Z as he lives in another state. Will have download it thought and run it to see what it comes up as.

On a side note, maybe you all should help me reason with him and tell him its time to upgrade his system in general as the system he has is old and slow and still uses a PCI card, he is an avid gamer but is to cheap to upgrade from his Dell.

Thanks for the help.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Everest Home Ed - This might help him find more info on it also. If he goes into the motherboard section then checks out the cpu.

It's probably better to wait a few more months for the new chips coming out, AM2/Conroe, for him to upgrade.
Wheather he buys the new stuff or new older tech.

wooke

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
My friend has a Celeron R processor that he wants to still use but needs a new motherboard for it. What socket does he need? All I could find out on the net is for Celeron D and M's, is it still a 478 pin like the other two? I'm out of my element when it comes to Intels. Thanks in advance.

If he needs a new motherboard for it he has an old motherboard.
What motherboard he has will tell you the socket.
There are many many ways to find the motherboard like looking at it, running all the above programs, looking at the manual for it, looking at the manual for the system you have. post any of this information and someone will post your socket in a flash.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you can see the name on the chip, you should be able to read the Part Number, which will reveal an awful lot about the processor, including its socket, operatnig speed, and other important details. If you can find some sort of complicated string of letters and numbers underneath your "Celeron R" :roll: we'll be able to help you out.

-J