pharma

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
This is driving me nuts, I have the following major components:
Sempron 3100+, With Thermaltake Silent 939 Cooler
ATI 9800XT With AC VGA Silencer ATI 3, Rev2
512 MB RAM
Whenever I'm surfing the net (Firefox 1.5.0.2) I get the dreaded VPU recover warning and have to do a full reboot or plod along with software rendering. I can play games, edit video or any other intensive tasks without problem.
I have installed catalyst 6.3 as per ATI's website but still no joy. I don't get this problem with IE6 but prefer Firefox.
Any help much appreciated

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
It's the problem with ATI driver. It seems like ATI is forcing users to upgrade to their latest GPUs if they want to use the lastest drivers. A very cheap way to do it, IMO.

I used to have a 9600xt and a 9800xt and that haunting VPU recover was a nightmare for me. I found out that I have to go back and use older drivers to stop it from happening but when I use older drivers, graphics in some of the games I play start having weird artifacts.

I finally upgrade both of my PC to the X850XT and a GF 6600gt and haven't had any problem since then;running all lastest drivers from ATI and Nvidia. ATi have good graphic quality but their drivers suck big time.

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Try a full uninstall/reinstall of the Catalyst drivers, but remember to use the "Catalyst-Uninstaller" tool available from ATI's website. It will remove every trace of the driver so that nothing is left hanging around to cause a possible conflict.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what it could be. It seems unusual that a browser would cause a VPU error like that, but I've seen stranger things in the computer world.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
And here is a thing for stranger, the reason why you didn't have any problem like that because you are probably not playing all games or applications there are. Seeing that you are still using a 9700 pro at this day of time confirms that you are not a regular gamer.

Do a google search on ATI VPU recovery on game like WOW, DAOC ...and you will see what I am talking about.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
There is more strange things within the computer world than you can imagine. by the way, have you googled " ATI VPU recovery with WOW or DAOC" yet? to see a large numbers of people having the same problem with the radeon 9XXX series?

I didn't say the 9700 pro will not run the WOW. It will but the VPU recovery will definately be there. The game will lock up frequently and give you a VPU recovery pop up.

Your signature doesn't tell me anything. First, people with components like that are most likely playing FPS games( totally different world compare to MMORPGs) or just doing benchmarks to show off. Second, I can put whatever into my signature and knowing that you will not go to my house and check on it.

Firefox may have everything to do with ATI drivers and cause the problem.

To the original poster, have you tried installing an older catalyst driver? my safe bet is the catalyst 4.3.

Stranger sounds like a true ATI fan, but we all know that ATI drivers suck compare to Nvidia's.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Ok, lets go over the posts!
Pharma said he has problem with the VPU recovery when he uses Firefox. He also said that he has no problem when using IE but he wants to use Firefox instead of IE. Your suggestion solution to him is to just use IE??? The guy said he wants to use Firefox instead of IE!

On the other hand, I offer him an option by sharing my own experieces and solutions with the VPU recovery on the same VPU design but with games that I played. If you say Firefox has nothing to do with ATI driver, ever heard of 2d acceleration? ever heard of Matrox( the best 2d card back in the old days, and probably still is)? People take it for granted that 2d performance are expected to be excellent with the recent 3d powerhouse VPU designs. But in the early day, 2d were all the talks and the choice of cards can make a significant difference in all windows applications. It can even reduce your windows boot time by a large margin.

I use the lastest Firefox version also, on both ATI( not the 9XXX chip) and Nvidia chips with lastest drivers and I don't have the same problem like Pharma did. Chances are that I am not visiting sites with graphics like Pharma does, but blaming it on Firefox as a source of the problems of VPU recovery is a short guess.

You got on my tail because I state my opinion about ATI. Last time I checked, this is still a forum and people are free to say whatever they think. Attack my facts, not my opinions.

www.google.com
search : ATI VPU recovery problem
do it with an open mind

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Your name describes you perfectly.
You got action but there is absolutely no intellegence in it.
If you don't like the post or have nothing to do with it, don't read it. Go read something else, you may improve your IQ by a bit.

Pardon me for getting off the topic of this post but I felt like its time for someone to take the responsibility and play Action Man's mother role.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
STFU noob.

Your name describes you perfectly.
You got action but there is absolutely no intellegence in it.
If you don't like the post or have nothing to do with it, don't read it. Go read something else, you may improve your IQ by a bit.

Christ doesn't come much more generic then that.

Your suggestion solution to him is to just use IE??? The guy said he wants to use Firefox instead of IE!

Note the :p at the end dipsh!t! :roll: