Sign in with
Your question

Netgear RT311 Router and ADSL Modem

Last response: in Networking
June 21, 2003 11:15:05 PM

Could anyone point me towards an ADSL modem(PPPoA Compatible) to work with the Netgear RT311 Router. I recently was given this and would like to get it to work. I tried it with a friends D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL Modem but my computer refused to work with it let alone the router.

Or could someone help me, I have 2 pcs and one pc works with the modem when plugged straight into it, and my laptop refuses to work with it, the DHCP assigns an address but the internet connection will not work.

Could this be the same problem I am having with the router?

Can anyone help me with a PPPoA modem that would work with an external router like the RT311?
June 22, 2003 1:45:13 AM

are you running the PPPoE client software on the 2nd PC?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
June 22, 2003 5:43:04 PM

No since the UK ADSL System is PPPoA, I have no PPPoE running in the either system.

Of the two PC's both are running windows 2k.
Related resources
June 22, 2003 8:34:28 PM

Fixed it, had to spoof the PC's mac address with the router, the mac address the modem was configured on ;) 
June 22, 2003 9:36:28 PM

did you repower the modem before switching? That usually wipes out the cache entry and allows a new MAC to grab an IP

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
June 24, 2003 11:40:53 PM

when you configure the Modem then it takes the mac address of the computer it was connected to and only the computer with that mac address can dial the modem.

So what I did was give the computer the routers MAC address and configure the modem. Next connect the modem to the router so the router could trigger the modem to dial and reset the mac address on the PC. And ALL DONE!

:-D

note this was not explained in the d-link modems manual ;) 
July 7, 2003 3:20:22 AM

Just as an after thought, if you ever decide to replace your modem, I'd recommend a router with a built in modem. Tends to cut out those little complications.

Of course if your setup is such that you prefer things that way, then cool.

Check out <A HREF="http://www.adslguide.org.uk" target="_new">ADSL Guide</A> for all good info on UK ADSL, hardware and links. Forums there are very helpful.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
!