system slow down when copying large number of files

I just installed a new seagate 160 Gb drive. Because of win 98
problems with large drives I set the partition to 120 Gb.
Seagate's install program, discwizard for windows, failed twice
to copy all files. Seagates bootable floopy program also failed
to copy all the files. Both programs seemed to partition, format
and transfer win 98 ok. (I hope)

Now for the problem. While copying files from one drive to the
other, using windows explorer, the system gets slower and slower
when large numbers of files are being copied. Some of my
directories have over 12k files in them. After a reboot the
sytem works fine until I've copied a large number of files
again. The problem seems to be related only to the number of
files copied and not total size of all the files. For instance
the directories with over 12k files contain less than 2 gig each
while a directory containing 27 gig but only 500 files copied
fine.

Is this a problem with win 98? There also seems to be a limit of
16,383 or 16,384 files per directory, is that also a win 98
limit? This win 98 is first edition with all service packs and
updates installed. TIA.
4 answers Last reply
More about system slow copying large number files

    Have a look here --
    Win9x Explorer vs. Bulk File Ops:
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    <phsstpok@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed a new seagate 160 Gb drive. Because of win 98
    > problems with large drives I set the partition to 120 Gb.
    > Seagate's install program, discwizard for windows, failed twice
    > to copy all files. Seagates bootable floopy program also failed
    > to copy all the files. Both programs seemed to partition, format
    > and transfer win 98 ok. (I hope)
    >
    > Now for the problem. While copying files from one drive to the
    > other, using windows explorer, the system gets slower and slower
    > when large numbers of files are being copied. Some of my
    > directories have over 12k files in them. After a reboot the
    > sytem works fine until I've copied a large number of files
    > again. The problem seems to be related only to the number of
    > files copied and not total size of all the files. For instance
    > the directories with over 12k files contain less than 2 gig each
    > while a directory containing 27 gig but only 500 files copied
    > fine.
    >
    > Is this a problem with win 98? There also seems to be a limit of
    > 16,383 or 16,384 files per directory, is that also a win 98
    > limit? This win 98 is first edition with all service packs and
    > updates installed. TIA.

    Besides the link that glee gave you, there is one more thing to mention about
    your specific problem. The way you are doing it is a known issue separate
    from the specific IE6 problem that the link describes.

    I've seen W98 FE with 'any' IE version installed do the same thing you
    describe when you start copying files the way you've indicated. You can try
    not highlighting all the files at once when you do that copy but only
    do controlled sections at a time, otherwise, but still sooner or later
    explorer memory allocations or whatever gets confounded and the copy time
    will more than triple unless you reboot. (this is a side step issue from the
    IE6 delete hang problem) I use to complain about your issue too years ago
    with FE. It has never been fixed. If you also happen to have IE6
    installed on your unit then you will also be blessed with all the other
    problems that the link talks about too, but if you just have IE5x installed
    then you will still have the problems you mention but not the other problems.

    Anyway, actually the best way to copy large amounts of hard drives partitions
    data is using Imaging software in dos, or some disk to disk softs, or some
    softs will even do it from windows on virtual spaces, but where none of these
    problems you mention exist, and also you can keep all the original folder
    dates as well.

    Rick

    phsstpok@nospamhotmail.com wrote:
    > I just installed a new seagate 160 Gb drive. Because of win 98
    > problems with large drives I set the partition to 120 Gb.
    > Seagate's install program, discwizard for windows, failed twice
    > to copy all files. Seagates bootable floopy program also failed
    > to copy all the files. Both programs seemed to partition, format
    > and transfer win 98 ok. (I hope)
    >
    > Now for the problem. While copying files from one drive to the
    > other, using windows explorer, the system gets slower and slower
    > when large numbers of files are being copied. Some of my
    > directories have over 12k files in them. After a reboot the
    > sytem works fine until I've copied a large number of files
    > again. The problem seems to be related only to the number of
    > files copied and not total size of all the files. For instance
    > the directories with over 12k files contain less than 2 gig each
    > while a directory containing 27 gig but only 500 files copied
    > fine.
    >
    > Is this a problem with win 98? There also seems to be a limit of
    > 16,383 or 16,384 files per directory, is that also a win 98
    > limit? This win 98 is first edition with all service packs and
    > updates installed. TIA.

    Thanks for the info guys. So its pretty much what I figured,
    another bug in a M$ product. I swear I do honestly believe M$
    hires only highschool dropout hackers to write code for them.
    That or the problems stem from IBM's poor choice in cpu's when
    the 68k's were available.

    Well thanks again.

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > other, using windows explorer, the system gets slower and
    slower
    > > when large numbers of files are being copied. Some of my
    > > directories have over 12k files in them. After a reboot the
    > > sytem works fine until I've copied a large number of files
    > > again. The problem seems to be related only to the number of
    > > files copied and not total size of all the files. For
    instance
    > > the directories with over 12k files contain less than 2 gig
    each
    > > while a directory containing 27 gig but only 500 files
    copied
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > Is this a problem with win 98? There also seems to be a
    limit of
    > > 16,383 or 16,384 files per directory, is that also a win 98
    > > limit? This win 98 is first edition with all service packs

    I can suggest FAR (http://www.rarsoft.com/download.htm) to accomplish what you need while still using a GUI interface. XXcopy (www.xxcopy.com) can work too.

    Ivan

    <phsstpok@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message news:Nb2xe.1413$U61.923@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> [...]

    > > other, using windows explorer, the system gets slower and
    slower
    > > when large numbers of files are being copied. Some of my
    > > directories have over 12k files in them. After a reboot the
    > > sytem works fine until I've copied a large number of files
    > > again. The problem seems to be related only to the number of
    > > files copied and not total size of all the files. For
    instance
    > > the directories with over 12k files contain less than 2 gig
    each
    > > while a directory containing 27 gig but only 500 files
    copied
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > Is this a problem with win 98? There also seems to be a
    limit of
    > > 16,383 or 16,384 files per directory, is that also a win 98
    > > limit? This win 98 is first edition with all service packs

Partition Windows