Fatal exception 0E at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06)...

Does anyone have any idea about this one:

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) + 00002799. (...)

This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278 mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when possible, but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error happens when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.

Thanks,

Ivan

"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any idea about this one:
>
> A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) +
00002799. (...)

> This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278 mainboard,
Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set up and we use
Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after four-five switches
between the two users, I get the above error when logging off and have to
restart the computer (soft reset when possible, but sometimes hard reset is
necessary, and sometimes scandisk is subsequently initiated upon booting).
Also, sometimes the error happens when I press the Windows button on the
keyboard.

> Thanks,
>
> Ivan

Perhaps theRegistry files have become too large ?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145836

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
Search "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)"; Windows 98; Weighted; Full
Text; All Words; Anytime; does produce three...

• Fatal Exception 0E After You Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000
(302959) - After you upgrade your Microsoft Windows 95-based Toshiba
Tecra 8000 notebook computer to Microsoft Windows 98, you may receive an
error message similar to the following when you start your computer: A
fatal exception 0E has occurred at...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302959

• "Fatal Exception" Error Suspending and Resuming with MSDLC32
(171195) - If you are using the Microsoft 32-bit Data Link Control
protocol (MSDLC32) and you suspend Windows 95 (using power management
features), you may receive a "Fatal Exception 06" or "Fatal Exception
0E" error message when you resume Windows 95. The...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;171195

• OFF97: Troubleshooting Office Kernel32.dll Errors Under Windows 95
(164519) - This article contains information about troubleshooting and
eliminating invalid page faults that occur in module Kernel32.dll when
you work with a Microsoft Office program under Microsoft Windows 95.
When a Kernel32.dll error message appears, a...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164519

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ervmm.htm
Leboeuf has 3 VMM (06) articles. Here's one...

Fatal Exception in VMM(06) Caused by Damaged Registry
A [ FE ] 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxxxxx in VxD VMM(06) + address
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145836 (W95 5/29/2002)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Fatal+exception+0E+VXD+VMM+%2806%29&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
GG comes up with 468 hits for "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)". Look
for something sensible there, & report back with any further question.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| Does anyone have any idea about this one:
|
| A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) +
00002799. (...)

| This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278
mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set
up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after
four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when
logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when possible,
but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is
subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error happens
when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.

| Thanks,
|
| Ivan

OK, I did scanreg /opt /fix, we'll see what happens. I don't think it's the size, though, becasue my current values are:
system.dat 6.33 MB
User.dat (1) 788 KB
User.dat (2) 681 KB

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message news:%23llY2YEfFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any idea about this one:
>
> A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) +
00002799. (...)

> This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278 mainboard,
Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set up and we use
Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after four-five switches
between the two users, I get the above error when logging off and have to
restart the computer (soft reset when possible, but sometimes hard reset is
necessary, and sometimes scandisk is subsequently initiated upon booting).
Also, sometimes the error happens when I press the Windows button on the
keyboard.

> Thanks,
>
> Ivan

Perhaps theRegistry files have become too large ?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145836

OK, thanks for that, but none of this seems to quite apply to my case. Searching Google for the "0028:C027E799" string only returns one match. I suppose I'll have to search user forums on some websites?

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:%23W5f%23qGfFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
Search "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)"; Windows 98; Weighted; Full
Text; All Words; Anytime; does produce three...

• Fatal Exception 0E After You Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000
(302959) - After you upgrade your Microsoft Windows 95-based Toshiba
Tecra 8000 notebook computer to Microsoft Windows 98, you may receive an
error message similar to the following when you start your computer: A
fatal exception 0E has occurred at...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302959

• "Fatal Exception" Error Suspending and Resuming with MSDLC32
(171195) - If you are using the Microsoft 32-bit Data Link Control
protocol (MSDLC32) and you suspend Windows 95 (using power management
features), you may receive a "Fatal Exception 06" or "Fatal Exception
0E" error message when you resume Windows 95. The...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;171195

• OFF97: Troubleshooting Office Kernel32.dll Errors Under Windows 95
(164519) - This article contains information about troubleshooting and
eliminating invalid page faults that occur in module Kernel32.dll when
you work with a Microsoft Office program under Microsoft Windows 95.
When a Kernel32.dll error message appears, a...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164519

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ervmm.htm
Leboeuf has 3 VMM (06) articles. Here's one...

Fatal Exception in VMM(06) Caused by Damaged Registry
A [ FE ] 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxxxxx in VxD VMM(06) + address
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145836 (W95 5/29/2002)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Fatal+exception+0E+VXD+VMM+%2806%29&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
GG comes up with 468 hits for "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)". Look
for something sensible there, & report back with any further question.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| Does anyone have any idea about this one:
|
| A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) +
00002799. (...)

| This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278
mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set
up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after
four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when
logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when possible,
but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is
subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error happens
when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.

| Thanks,
|
| Ivan

OK, scanreg /opt /fix has not fixed the issue...

"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message news:ejrGFIIfFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
OK, I did scanreg /opt /fix, we'll see what happens. I don't think it's the size, though, becasue my current values are:
system.dat 6.33 MB
User.dat (1) 788 KB
User.dat (2) 681 KB

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message news:%23llY2YEfFHA.484@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any idea about this one:
>
> A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) +
00002799. (...)

> This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278 mainboard,
Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set up and we use
Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after four-five switches
between the two users, I get the above error when logging off and have to
restart the computer (soft reset when possible, but sometimes hard reset is
necessary, and sometimes scandisk is subsequently initiated upon booting).
Also, sometimes the error happens when I press the Windows button on the
keyboard.

> Thanks,
>
> Ivan

Perhaps theRegistry files have become too large ?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145836

If you can't find your exact numbers, try the solutions to similar "VXD
VMM (06)" articles that seem easy to do first. Then try the harder ones.
Do you have any red/yellow ?/!'s in Device Manager?

--
| OK, thanks for that, but none of this seems to quite apply to my case.
Searching Google for the "0028:C027E799" string only returns one match.
I suppose I'll have to search user forums on some websites?

| http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
| Search "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)"; Windows 98; Weighted; Full
| Text; All Words; Anytime; does produce three...
|
| • Fatal Exception 0E After You Upgrade Toshiba Tecra 8000
| (302959) - After you upgrade your Microsoft Windows 95-based Toshiba
| Tecra 8000 notebook computer to Microsoft Windows 98, you may receive
an
| error message similar to the following when you start your computer: A
| fatal exception 0E has occurred at...
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302959
|
| • "Fatal Exception" Error Suspending and Resuming with MSDLC32
| (171195) - If you are using the Microsoft 32-bit Data Link Control
| protocol (MSDLC32) and you suspend Windows 95 (using power management
| features), you may receive a "Fatal Exception 06" or "Fatal Exception
| 0E" error message when you resume Windows 95. The...
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;171195
|
| • OFF97: Troubleshooting Office Kernel32.dll Errors Under Windows 95
| (164519) - This article contains information about troubleshooting and
| eliminating invalid page faults that occur in module Kernel32.dll when
| you work with a Microsoft Office program under Microsoft Windows 95.
| When a Kernel32.dll error message appears, a...
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;164519
|

| http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ervmm.htm
| Leboeuf has 3 VMM (06) articles. Here's one...
|
| Fatal Exception in VMM(06) Caused by Damaged Registry
| A [ FE ] 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxxxxx in VxD VMM(06) + address
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145836 (W95 5/29/2002)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Fatal+exception+0E+VXD+VMM+%2806%29&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
| GG comes up with 468 hits for "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)". Look
| for something sensible there, & report back with any further question.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| | Does anyone have any idea about this one:
| |
| | A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) +
| 00002799. (...)
| |
| | This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278
| mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set
| up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after
| four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when
| logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when
possible,
| but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is
| subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error
happens
| when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Ivan
| |

Yeah, I've gotten a couple of hits for "0028:C027E799" in google newsgroups, but that didn't really help me out. As for other VMM (06) errors - people get them in all kinds of situations, most of which don't apply to this case. I haven't been able to find anything very helpful.

One thing I'll try is reverting the DLL swap (I do use the IE 5.5 browseui.dll and browselc.dll in C:\Windows\System). I doubt that will be the casue of the probem, but who knows?

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:Oc5b5YNfFHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]

| Fatal Exception in VMM(06) Caused by Damaged Registry
| A [ FE ] 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxxxxx in VxD VMM(06) + address
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=145836 (W95 5/29/2002)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Fatal+exception+0E+VXD+VMM+%2806%29&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
| GG comes up with 468 hits for "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)". Look
| for something sensible there, & report back with any further question.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| | Does anyone have any idea about this one:
| |
| | A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) +
| |
| | This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278
| mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set
| up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after
| four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when
| logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when
possible,
| but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is
| subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error
happens
| when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Ivan
| |

> Yeah, I've gotten a couple of hits for "0028:C027E799" in google
newsgroups, but that didn't really help me out. As for other VMM (06)
errors - people get them in all kinds of situations, most of which don't
apply to this case. I haven't been able to find anything very helpful.

> One thing I'll try is reverting the DLL swap (I do use the IE 5.5
browseui.dll and browselc.dll in C:\Windows\System). I doubt that will be
the casue of the probem, but who knows?

If you have 2 sticks of RAM,
take each one out in turn
to eliminate the possibility of bad RAM.

If you only have one stick, perhaps you can
temporarily borrow one from another PC?

Uhuh. That is a tough one. Colorado is always looking for peccadilloes
about those .dll swap & surely would have bellowed to wake the dead were
THEY the cause. Still, may as well put them right so that you may do an
IE Repair, maybe even an over-install of IE.

I guess, even... close all open windows, & "START, Run, DxDiag" for a
possible message.

--
> [...]
| |
| |
| |

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Fatal+exception+0E+VXD+VMM+%2806%29&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
| | GG comes up with 468 hits for "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)".
Look
| | for something sensible there, & report back with any further
question.
| |
| |
| | --
| | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | should things get worse after this,
| | PCR
| | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| | | Does anyone have any idea about this one:
| | |
+
| | 00002799. (...)
| | |
| | | This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278
| | mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users
set
| | up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after
| | four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when
| | logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when
| possible,
| | but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is
| | subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error
| happens
| | when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.
| | |
| | | Thanks,
| | |
| | | Ivan
| | |
| |
| |
| |

"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote:

>Does anyone have any idea about this one:
>
>A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06) + 00002799. (...)
>
>This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278 mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users set up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when possible, but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error happens when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ivan

Fatal Exception 0E errors in the 0028 address segment are often
associated with video driver problems.

Try updating your video drivers with the latest Widnows 98 version
from the video card manufacturer's web site.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

It seems I've found a workaround for the problem. The workaround is, instead of going through the Start Menu and logging off, to create a shortcut on the desktop that executes the logoff through the following command:

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 0

This way (at least based on what I can tell so far), I do not get the blue screens.

I have not tried reverting the .dll swap or updating video card drivers because I'm lazy. I think my RAM is OK, but I might test with memtest (I only have one piece of 256 MB).

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:%23xWZE$afFHA.3936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]

| |

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Fatal+exception+0E+VXD+VMM+%2806%29&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
| | GG comes up with 468 hits for "Fatal exception 0E VXD VMM (06)".
Look
| | for something sensible there, & report back with any further
question.
| |
| |
| | --
| | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | should things get worse after this,
| | PCR
| | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| | | Does anyone have any idea about this one:
| | |
| | | A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027E799 in VXD VMM (06)
| | |
| | | This computer is running Windows 98 SE on a Microstar MS-6278
| | mainboard, Pentium 2.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM. I currently have two users
set
| | up and we use Microsoft Family Logon for switching. Usually after
| | four-five switches between the two users, I get the above error when
| | logging off and have to restart the computer (soft reset when
| possible,
| | but sometimes hard reset is necessary, and sometimes scandisk is
| | subsequently initiated upon booting). Also, sometimes the error
| happens
| | when I press the Windows button on the keyboard.
| | |
| | | Thanks,
| | |
| | | Ivan
| | |
| |
| |
| |

That's a disappointment. Intermittent errors are really tough. Maybe do
a Thorough Scandisk & Defrag. Also, run a RAM & HDD tester...

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

........Quote.......
You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
the computer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
| Well, it seems that my "workaroud" doesn't actually work, since the
blue screen just came up, although I didn't go through the Start Menu.
My next steps will be (1) reverting the .dll swap, (2) updating the
video card drivers. We'll see if any of that helps.

....snip

OK, I have

(1) updated the graphic card drivers (nVIDIA GeForce MX 440)
(2) tested my RAM with memtest - no errors, as expected

That still didn't eliminate the issue. Now I've reverted the .dll swap. However, the problem still happens (same blue screen, same error, seems like the exact same symptoms). Explorer is terrible with those IE 6 .dll's, even small delete/move operations are evidently more sluggish than with the IE 5.5 SP2 .dll's. (Any news on this issue, by the way - cquirke, Rick?)

Ivan

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> OK, I have
>
> (1) updated the graphic card drivers (nVIDIA GeForce MX 440)
> (2) tested my RAM with memtest - no errors, as expected
>
> That still didn't eliminate the issue. Now I've reverted the .dll swap.
> However, the problem still happens (same blue screen, same error, seems
> like the exact same symptoms). Explorer is terrible with those IE 6
> .dll's, even small delete/move operations are evidently more sluggish
> than with the IE 5.5 SP2 .dll's. (Any news on this issue, by the way -
> cquirke, Rick?)

I'm not sure cquirke saw you post though Ivan. I just now did notice it
myself down here in the June section since your last post today showed up
to me as a unread post - I've flagged it now.

Your last question answered first is that there is no new news on W98xIE6x
file delete hang issue yet. The only thing I can say is that a report
submission about it that was sent to MS in April is still marked Active,
that may not mean much but most other ones from April are now marked
closed. Feel free to send in your submission about it ..squeaky wheel gets
the grease :) I just put up a webpage about the problem though:
http://www.ptcnh.net/~rdchauvin/W98xIE6xBug.htm

As far as your VXD error
When did it start happening?
Was there a time when you did not have that problem?
Can you remember all the things you did the moment it stated happening?

It may not be it at all and this may be OT, maybe not, depending on your
answers to any of my questions, but as far as your MX 440 card goes I
would suggest to use near to the original drivers that came with it, and
importantly not go beyond Version 53.04 drivers for it since everything
thereafter is useless to it, and in some cases causes problems with those
older chipsets. What version video drivers are you using? One thing is
for certain at this point depending how you previously installed and/or
updated your video drivers, especially ! if you ever swapped the actual
video card out? ...at any rate if so then you would now go to Add/Remove
and uninstall your video drivers completely, reboot, let it assume the
stock W98SE video driver via DM, (bear with me - going from memory now)
choose list all drivers, but at one of those selections there it needs to
show that it want's to use the Oeminfo.ini from the System folder (which
will show up if the nvidia drivers are not present yet) anyway the
Oeminfo.ini is the info it needs and is the stock W98SE drivers for your
card ...and after it takes them and your screen comes back up stock and
generic, then is the time you would then install you new video drivers
v53.04 ..and you can get them from this page here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_53.04.

The purpose of the clean install video card method I outlined above is to
make sure you have no conflicts with your video memory allocations in the
wrong place or erroneously duplicated from improper video card swaps which
can cause those errors, by removing them all and re-assimilating anew
....but again, at this point it's just a guess by me mentioning the above
procedure which much depends on your answers to my '5' question marks of
inquiries throughout.

Rick

> Ivan

Rick Chauvin wrote:
[...]
> Can you remember all the things you did the moment it stated happening?
[...]

That is suppose to say:

Can you remember all the things you did before the moment came when the
error started happening?

Rick Chauvin wrote:
[...]
> stock W98SE video driver via DM, (bear with me - going from memory now)
> choose list all drivers, but at one of those selections there it needs to
> show that it want's to use the Oeminfo.ini from the System folder (which
> will show up if the nvidia drivers are not present yet) anyway the
> Oeminfo.ini is the info it needs and is the stock W98SE drivers for your
[...]

Gosh Ivan sorry for another typo ..as I was eating lunch I almost fell off
my chair when it dawned on me what I typed before for that filename saying
oeminfo.ini, sorry, that's nOt at all the filename I meant to say.
Actually forget the filename and just point it to the Standard Display
Types and then Standard VGA Adapters at that point and it'll find it and
let it assume that.. msdisp.inf or something like that.... and then all
as I said before... but just remember this video issue may be a long shot
anyway.

Here's an interesting thing. The two user profiles I have set up have different desktop wallpapers. When I log off, and want to switch to the other user (I use Microsoft Family Logon), the wallpaper has to change. When I have the IE 5.5 SP2 .dll's, the screen just changes. With the IE 6 SP1 .dll's, the screen briefly flashes black before changing. Weird, huh?

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:uU6EK6WhFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
That's a disappointment. Intermittent errors are really tough. Maybe do
a Thorough Scandisk & Defrag. Also, run a RAM & HDD tester...

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

........Quote.......
You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
the computer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
......End.of... URLs of Glee...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| Well, it seems that my "workaroud" doesn't actually work, since the
blue screen just came up, although I didn't go through the Start Menu.
My next steps will be (1) reverting the .dll swap, (2) updating the
video card drivers. We'll see if any of that helps.

....snip

Hmm. Colorado will be interested, I'm sure, as he is compiling a list of
peccadilloes about those .DLLs. User Profiles are a thing I avoid,
fearing Registry & HDD bloat. Still, even without it, I have seen some
kind of icon/maybe wallpaper dance going on during boot that may not
have been there before IE6. It doesn't seem to be serious. Perhaps turn
off Active Desktop...

(1) Undo Active Desktop.

(a) R-Clk the Desktop, point to Active Desktop,
& select Customize my Desktop.
(b) Uncheck "View my Active Desktop as a WEB page" & Apply.

Is there anything in the box under that item? Those are WEB sites that
would appear on the Desktop. Delete them.

(c) At the Effects tab, uncheck "Hide icons when the Desktop is viewed
as a WEB page" & OK.
(d) R-Clk the Desktop, & uncheck "View as WEB page".

(2) "START, Settings, Folder Options, General tab". Set to "Classic
style". If all gets better, click "Custom...", & gingerly go back to how
you like it. But stay away from "Enable all Web related content...".

--
> [...]
| Download:
| http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
| http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| .....End.of... URLs of Glee...
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| | Well, it seems that my "workaroud" doesn't actually work, since the
| blue screen just came up, although I didn't go through the Start Menu.
| My next steps will be (1) reverting the .dll swap, (2) updating the
| video card drivers. We'll see if any of that helps.

Rick, thanks for your reply. I'm out heading out until Sunday, but will check into the drivers thing when I get back. The new drivers already seem to be giving me some trouble, such as yellow shading on some pop-up icons (for example, the "i" icon that's displayed when a spell check is complete in OE)
Ivan

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> Rick, thanks for your reply. I'm out heading out until Sunday, but will
> check into the drivers thing when I get back. The new drivers already
> seem to be giving me some trouble, such as yellow shading on some pop-up
> icons (for example, the "i" icon that's displayed when a spell check is
> complete in OE) Ivan

happy trails..
...if you can, certainly always make a partition image backup when changing
around software's - especially video card swaps, etc; nothing beats having
the ability to within a few minutes re-image your OS back to where you left
it after testing/installing or even totally wrecking everything, or just
deciding you don't like some bloated test install of something minor/major
...whatever ...no problems - just re-image. ..a simple, fast, and
inexpensive insurance policy no one should be without imho..

Rick

I'm probably gonna have to take back that thing about the .dll's causing different behaviours of the screen at log off / log on - it seems the change of behavior has more to do with the updated graphics card driver...

"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message news:uxKW2X6hFHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Here's an interesting thing. The two user profiles I have set up have different desktop wallpapers. When I log off, and want to switch to the other user (I use Microsoft Family Logon), the wallpaper has to change. When I have the IE 5.5 SP2 .dll's, the screen just changes. With the IE 6 SP1 .dll's, the screen briefly flashes black before changing. Weird, huh?

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message news:uU6EK6WhFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
That's a disappointment. Intermittent errors are really tough. Maybe do
a Thorough Scandisk & Defrag. Also, run a RAM & HDD tester...

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

........Quote.......
You should run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive that is in
the computer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the
limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free
edition, you will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site,
then you will be able to download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a
working Windows system and will guide you through the process of
extracting the Data Advisor onto a 3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
......End.of... URLs of Glee...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
| Well, it seems that my "workaroud" doesn't actually work, since the
blue screen just came up, although I didn't go through the Start Menu.
My next steps will be (1) reverting the .dll swap, (2) updating the
video card drivers. We'll see if any of that helps.

....snip

Hi Rick,
well, actually, that problem with the coloring is gone now, and the updated drivers seem to be no worse generally than the older ones, so I guess I won't bother restoring. I could do uninstall via Add/Remove also, in this case.
As for partition image backup... I know I should, I guess I'm too lazy, and so far I haven't gotten a case where, at worst, I'd have to restore the registry to an earlier state. I do back things up once in a while, though.
Thanks,
Ivan