SExxxx.tmp files in WindowsTemp

The C:\Windows\Temp directory fills rapidly with files named like
SECxxxx.tmp, where xxxx is a hex string. Whatever is creating these
files grabs the CPU. The files do not contain text or executable code,
only nulls (hex'00').

Got new versions of Spybot S&D & Ad-Aware, updated the definitions for
both. Also got a copy of Spyware Blaster. Already have Norton AV, with
up-to-date definitions.

Ran Spybot S&D, NAV and Ad-Aware. None reported any malware.
Installed Spyware Blaster.

Any other suggestions?

TIA , HforJ

--
HforJ
HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809

    Set up a Clean Boot environment (see link in my sig). Does it continue
    to happen?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "HforJ" <HforJ.1rd9so@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > The C:\Windows\Temp directory fills rapidly with files named like
    > SECxxxx.tmp, where xxxx is a hex string. Whatever is creating these
    > files grabs the CPU. The files do not contain text or executable
    > code,
    > only nulls (hex'00').
    >
    > Got new versions of Spybot S&D & Ad-Aware, updated the definitions for
    > both. Also got a copy of Spyware Blaster. Already have Norton AV,
    > with
    > up-to-date definitions.
    >
    > Ran Spybot S&D, NAV and Ad-Aware. None reported any malware.
    > Installed Spyware Blaster.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > TIA , HforJ
    >

    > --
    > HforJ
    > HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809

    Thanks, Gary. Your two articless put a wealth of useful information in
    one place for easy reference.

    A few more details on my problem:

    -- I run a hardware firewall and the free version of ZoneAlarm

    -- Spybot S&D, NAV and Ad-Aware were run in Safe Mode.

    -- I now have Filemon from Sysinternals running, with a filter set to
    log any new SECxxxx.tmp files in C:\Window\temp.

    -- Since reporting the problem, it has not reoccurred!

    I will certainly use your procedures if the files show up again.

    BTW, you're the second person to suggest dump Symantec's products. I
    have been hesitant to do so, after hearing horror stories about the
    mess that results when trying to uninstall them.

    Maybe the time has come...

    Thanks again for your advice.

    HforJ

    --
    HforJ
    HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809

    Symantec has tools to assist in the removal of their products. What
    version of what are you running>

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "HforJ" <HforJ.1re1kj@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
    > BTW, you're the second person to suggest dump Symantec's products. I
    > have been hesitant to do so, after hearing horror stories about the
    > mess that results when trying to uninstall them.

    > Symantec has tools to assist in the removal of their products. What
    > version of what are you running?
    NAV 2002 (8.07) and NIS 2003 (6.02). I did hear about the tools, but
    don't have any data on how well they work.

    --
    HforJ
    HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809

    Let me put it this way... If you suspect that Symantec products are
    causing you problems, and IMHO, it's almost impossible that they aren't
    causing problems), then getting rid of it is a *lot* less risky than
    leaving it installed. No, I don't think the clean-up tools are 100%, but
    I've not heard of many problems running them, only about problems from
    uninstalling *without* running them.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "HforJ" <HforJ.1rensk@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    >> Symantec has tools to assist in the removal of their products. What
    >> version of what are you running?
    > NAV 2002 (8.07) and NIS 2003 (6.02). I did hear about the tools, but
    > don't have any data on how well they work.
    >

    > --
    > HforJ
    > HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809

    As I may have mentioned, I have Filemon running. It finally came
    through. And the winner is...

    Eudora! Three files were created at 7:02 and three more at 7:22. Now I
    need to look at the Eudora log to see what it was doing. Eudora's
    Knowledge Base came up empty.

    [Later...] Well, the Eudora log didn't give any clear idea of what was
    happening. Mainly because there isn't enough time-stamp info in the
    log.

    I may have to talk to Qualcomm's support people. But at least for now,
    Symantec is off the hook (at least until the next subscription
    expires).

    And at least Eudora isn't putting megabytes worth of files into the
    folder. Three at a time I can live with.

    Thanks for your help, Gary.

    HforJ

    --
    HforJ
    > expires).

    I think Symantec was only ever 'on the hook' while listening to
    opinions, many via this n/g.
    Since it is obvious Symantec was never involved, and your
    computer is virus free, why even consider un-installing?

    ...Rex..

    Rex Wrote:

    > > I may have to talk to Qualcomm's support people. But at least for
    > now,
    > > Symantec is off the hook (at least until the next subscription
    > > expires).
    >

    > I think Symantec was only ever 'on the hook' while listening to
    > opinions, many via this n/g.
    > Since it is obvious Symantec was never involved, and your
    > computer is virus free, why even consider un-installing?
    >
    > ...Rex..
    Well, we now have a topic change. When the subscription comes up for
    renewal, I plan to re-survey the market. Other products may have moved
    ahead of Symantec's. There are also what are euphemistically called
    "end of life" issues, as in "we're not gonna support your version any
    more, so buy a new one."

    HforJ

    --

    "HforJ" <HforJ.1rg1sk@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > Rex Wrote:
    > >
    > > > I may have to talk to Qualcomm's support people. But at least for
    > > now,
    > > > Symantec is off the hook (at least until the next subscription
    > > > expires).
    > >

    > > I think Symantec was only ever 'on the hook' while listening to
    > > opinions, many via this n/g.
    > > Since it is obvious Symantec was never involved, and your
    > > computer is virus free, why even consider un-installing?
    > >
    > > ...Rex..
    > Well, we now have a topic change. When the subscription comes up for
    > renewal, I plan to re-survey the market. Other products may have moved
    > ahead of Symantec's. There are also what are euphemistically called
    > "end of life" issues, as in "we're not gonna support your version any
    > more, so buy a new one."
    >
    > HforJ
    -----

    I hear you,
    personally I think its a shame that we constantly upgrade security
    in order to thwart our fellow man, but in this generation security
    is Alive and a well orchestrated Huge money spinner.
    The 'shame' is that our kids are watching us "intelligent" adults go
    about our daily business with total mistrust for our neighbours.

    ...Rex..

Spybot Spyware Windows