Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SExxxx.tmp files in WindowsTemp

Tags:
  • Spybot
  • Spyware
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:18:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

The C:\Windows\Temp directory fills rapidly with files named like
SECxxxx.tmp, where xxxx is a hex string. Whatever is creating these
files grabs the CPU. The files do not contain text or executable code,
only nulls (hex'00').

Got new versions of Spybot S&D & Ad-Aware, updated the definitions for
both. Also got a copy of Spyware Blaster. Already have Norton AV, with
up-to-date definitions.

Ran Spybot S&D, NAV and Ad-Aware. None reported any malware.
Installed Spyware Blaster.

Any other suggestions?

TIA , HforJ


--
HforJ
------------------------------------------------------------------------
HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870572380

More about : sexxxx tmp files windowstemp

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:47:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Set up a Clean Boot environment (see link in my sig). Does it continue
to happen?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"HforJ" <HforJ.1rd9so@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
news:HforJ.1rd9so@no-mx.msusenet.com...
>
> The C:\Windows\Temp directory fills rapidly with files named like
> SECxxxx.tmp, where xxxx is a hex string. Whatever is creating these
> files grabs the CPU. The files do not contain text or executable
> code,
> only nulls (hex'00').
>
> Got new versions of Spybot S&D & Ad-Aware, updated the definitions for
> both. Also got a copy of Spyware Blaster. Already have Norton AV,
> with
> up-to-date definitions.
>
> Ran Spybot S&D, NAV and Ad-Aware. None reported any malware.
> Installed Spyware Blaster.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> TIA , HforJ
>
>
> --
> HforJ
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870572380
>
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:34:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thanks, Gary. Your two articless put a wealth of useful information in
one place for easy reference.

A few more details on my problem:

-- I run a hardware firewall and the free version of ZoneAlarm

-- Spybot S&D, NAV and Ad-Aware were run in Safe Mode.

-- I now have Filemon from Sysinternals running, with a filter set to
log any new SECxxxx.tmp files in C:\Window\temp.

-- Since reporting the problem, it has not reoccurred!

I will certainly use your procedures if the files show up again.

BTW, you're the second person to suggest dump Symantec's products. I
have been hesitant to do so, after hearing horror stories about the
mess that results when trying to uninstall them.

Maybe the time has come...

Thanks again for your advice.

HforJ


--
HforJ
------------------------------------------------------------------------
HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870572380
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:55:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Symantec has tools to assist in the removal of their products. What
version of what are you running>

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"HforJ" <HforJ.1re1kj@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
news:HforJ.1re1kj@no-mx.msusenet.com...
> BTW, you're the second person to suggest dump Symantec's products. I
> have been hesitant to do so, after hearing horror stories about the
> mess that results when trying to uninstall them.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:30:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> Symantec has tools to assist in the removal of their products. What
> version of what are you running?
NAV 2002 (8.07) and NIS 2003 (6.02). I did hear about the tools, but
don't have any data on how well they work.


--
HforJ
------------------------------------------------------------------------
HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870572380
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:13:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Let me put it this way... If you suspect that Symantec products are
causing you problems, and IMHO, it's almost impossible that they aren't
causing problems), then getting rid of it is a *lot* less risky than
leaving it installed. No, I don't think the clean-up tools are 100%, but
I've not heard of many problems running them, only about problems from
uninstalling *without* running them.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"HforJ" <HforJ.1rensk@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
news:HforJ.1rensk@no-mx.msusenet.com...
>
>> Symantec has tools to assist in the removal of their products. What
>> version of what are you running?
> NAV 2002 (8.07) and NIS 2003 (6.02). I did hear about the tools, but
> don't have any data on how well they work.
>
>
> --
> HforJ
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870572380
>
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

As I may have mentioned, I have Filemon running. It finally came
through. And the winner is...

Eudora! Three files were created at 7:02 and three more at 7:22. Now I
need to look at the Eudora log to see what it was doing. Eudora's
Knowledge Base came up empty.

[Later...] Well, the Eudora log didn't give any clear idea of what was
happening. Mainly because there isn't enough time-stamp info in the
log.

I may have to talk to Qualcomm's support people. But at least for now,
Symantec is off the hook (at least until the next subscription
expires).

And at least Eudora isn't putting megabytes worth of files into the
folder. Three at a time I can live with.

Thanks for your help, Gary.

HforJ


--
HforJ
------------------------------------------------------------------------
HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870572380
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:59:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

>
> I may have to talk to Qualcomm's support people. But at least for now,
> Symantec is off the hook (at least until the next subscription
> expires).
>

I think Symantec was only ever 'on the hook' while listening to
opinions, many via this n/g.
Since it is obvious Symantec was never involved, and your
computer is virus free, why even consider un-installing?

...Rex..
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:59:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Rex Wrote:
>
> > I may have to talk to Qualcomm's support people. But at least for
> now,
> > Symantec is off the hook (at least until the next subscription
> > expires).
>
>
> I think Symantec was only ever 'on the hook' while listening to
> opinions, many via this n/g.
> Since it is obvious Symantec was never involved, and your
> computer is virus free, why even consider un-installing?
>
> ...Rex..
Well, we now have a topic change. When the subscription comes up for
renewal, I plan to re-survey the market. Other products may have moved
ahead of Symantec's. There are also what are euphemistically called
"end of life" issues, as in "we're not gonna support your version any
more, so buy a new one."

HforJ


--
HforJ
------------------------------------------------------------------------
HforJ's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2809
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870572380
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:53:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"HforJ" <HforJ.1rg1sk@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
news:HforJ.1rg1sk@no-mx.msusenet.com...
>
> Rex Wrote:
> >
> > > I may have to talk to Qualcomm's support people. But at least for
> > now,
> > > Symantec is off the hook (at least until the next subscription
> > > expires).
> >
> >
> > I think Symantec was only ever 'on the hook' while listening to
> > opinions, many via this n/g.
> > Since it is obvious Symantec was never involved, and your
> > computer is virus free, why even consider un-installing?
> >
> > ...Rex..
> Well, we now have a topic change. When the subscription comes up for
> renewal, I plan to re-survey the market. Other products may have moved
> ahead of Symantec's. There are also what are euphemistically called
> "end of life" issues, as in "we're not gonna support your version any
> more, so buy a new one."
>
> HforJ
-----

I hear you,
personally I think its a shame that we constantly upgrade security
in order to thwart our fellow man, but in this generation security
is Alive and a well orchestrated Huge money spinner.
The 'shame' is that our kids are watching us "intelligent" adults go
about our daily business with total mistrust for our neighbours.

...Rex..
!