Turion X2 Mobile CPU

twittemb

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Hello all,

I'm gona buy a laptop soon ... but i think i'll wait for next CPU generation to come out, such as Merom or Turion 64 X2.

Can anybody tell me why we don't talk about Turion 64 X2 anymore ???

They were supposed to be launched in May the 9th ... it seems that AMD doesn't talk about this CPU release ???

Does somebody have news about it ?

thanks.

Thibault.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Why not talk about Turion X2? Because it's a Turion.
I do not give it much chances on beating the Dual though we may end up with a stalemate. Turion X2 is the opening to AM2. AM2 already proved it's uselessness. Let's just hope Turion X2 will not follow the same path.
The few benchmarks posted on the Net show X2 Turion competing with the Duo middle class quite well.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I for one believe Turion X2 will be a solid performer. However, I don't really think it will be a match for the excellent Core Duo, whose performance is on par with many desktop CPUs.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
I was pointing that out really.
But for AMD chips being competive isn't usually enough to be honest. They need to be slightly ahead in order to keep in line with Intel(due to poor marketing and such). I don't see Turion X2 being ahead performance wise though overall a laptop with it might have a slightly lower consumption due to DDR2.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Hello all,

I'm gona buy a laptop soon ... but i think i'll wait for next CPU generation to come out, such as Merom or Turion 64 X2.

Can anybody tell me why we don't talk about Turion 64 X2 anymore ???

They were supposed to be launched in May the 9th ... it seems that AMD doesn't not about this CPU release ???

Does somebody have news about it ?

thanks.

Thibault.

We don't talk about the Turion too much anymore because Intel has only solidified itself in the mobile market. Intel has the reigns very well controlled. Even though the only advantage the AMD camp boasts how the Turion is a 64 bit chip vs. Core duo, there just isn't any need or market for a 64 bit chip at this time. Especially, in the mobile market.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Yes i was getting to that. Most people here bash Turions. Really it isn't that bad in fact even now it stays competitive but not enough to hamper Intel sales.
P.S. Plz excuse my fanboyism.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
here what dumb about Intel fanboys. They dont see a bigger Picture. The guy looking into Turion 64 X2. Well can centreno support 64 bit. That a no.

Here two Questions
1 When the guy gets a Turion 64 x2 He can install winodws vista or Windows 64 Pro? Answer is Yes.

2 Now anyone with centereno duo do this? The answer is No do to the fact it dont support 64 bit.

Before you start flaming someone think about Pros and cons of each system.

Well, I would say that AMD has made pretty decent inroads in the mobile market, if what I see in laptops that people bring to class is any indication. Here are the machines brought to one of my classes:

1. Gateway 600: Pentium 4-M (my old laptop)
2. Dell Inspiron 2650C: Celeron (Williamette core :oops: )
3. Compaq V2000Z: Turion
4. Gateway NX650 (I think): Turion
5. Acer 5xxxWLI: Turion
6. eMachines (unk. model): Athlon 64 Mobile
7. PowerBook 15.4": PowerPC G4
8. Dell Inspiron 9300: Pentium M
9. HP (unk. model): Athlon 64 Mobile
10. Alienware (unk. model:) Pentium 4 Prescott
11. iBook 12": PowerPC G4

here what dumb about Intel fanboys. They dont see a bigger Picture. The guy looking into Turion 64 X2. Well can centreno support 64 bit. That a no.

Here two Questions
1 When the guy gets a Turion 64 x2 He can install winodws vista or Windows 64 Pro? Answer is Yes.

2 Now anyone with centereno duo do this? The answer is No do to the fact it dont support 64 bit.

So according to you Vista will only be a 64-bit only OS. sound like a fanboy who does not think or research his claims before posting them and accusing other fanboys

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

Here two Questions

Why you need 64 bits in a laptop?.
Are you going to buy more than 4Gb for the laptop?
Are you going to use an only 64bit software ?
NO. The only need of 64bits in Laptops its for fanboys. If turion its faster and consume less power than centrino it will be better but know Poorion is only used in cheaper, worst laptops.

dragabain

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
So I recently bought a core duo laptop. I was actually looking at getting a turon, but let me tell you why I didn't. With most manufacturers with laptops they put basic hardware with AMD and better hardware with Intel. i guess its the whole intel flexing its muscle thing. If I wanted something better than integrated graphics I had to go with an Intel. However i am very satisfied with my core duo. Also the larger cache size I think is helping out in games. I had an equivelently clocked AMD Athlon xp before this laptop. With a lesser graphics card in this, it has higher fps in almost everything I play. Also I think ddr2 really does help out in some situations, I have to run some things that would saturate a 400mhz bus, but can't saturate a 667mhz bus. Well that's my two cents.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
SLI? Who cares.
The main thing i consider good in a Poorion is DDR2. That will increase the battery life of the entire build compared to the original poorion.

rainyjyu

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
There are plenty of people using Core Duo based laptops to run the Windows Vista CTP pre-releases. What makes you think 64-bit is required for Windows Vista?

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Vista will be the first real 64bits OS by Microsoft. After Vista I think driver issues and other lacks of support will finish but Vista will have TWO VERSIONS 64 and 32 bits and I think nobody will write and ONLY 64bits software in 2 or 3 years. See the transition from 16 to 32bits from 286 to 386-486-Pentium. a lot of years and the difference was awesome, why migration from 32 to 64 will be faster. DEC Alpha was 64bits with windows NT(1996) and you haven't seen people running to get one.

Chemware

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Why you need 64 bits in a laptop?

Developers need 64 bit laptops now, for two reasons:

1. 32-bit IIS web services don't run on 64-bit servers.
2. to have 64-bit software ready for the masses in 2-3 years time.

Ordinary users have no need for 64-bit right now.

However, in the future optimized 64-bit software (Vista ???) will run considerably faster than 32-bit software because there are twice as many CPU registers to play with, and FP and SSE is handled a lot better in x64 than x86. However, non-optimized software will show no benefit. It will take some time for the compiler writers and developers to wrap their heads around this.