Blank entry in my startup list

Win 98SE
Run - msconfig - startup tab
I have a blank entry in the middle of my startup list.
There is a tick box, and an empty space to the right.
I have unticked it. How do I find out what it is please, and
then remove it?
Many thanks.
(I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Free, and three different
antispyware programs with one running resident)
--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

    (1) This could be a problem with the "(Default)" line at one of the
    Startup registry keys. They should all look like this...

    (Default) (value not set)

    Uncheck the blank line in MSConfig. Close out, but there is probably no
    need to reboot. Then, it will go to a "Minus Key"...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    -
    ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".

    ....Now, navigate to each of those keys in turn. You should not have a
    blank line in (Default). R-Clk it, & select "Delete". I just tried it, &
    it works. After the Delete, it will immediately come back just like
    this...

    (Default) (value not set)

    (2) "START button, Run, SysEdit, Win.ini tab".
    In the [Windows] section, does "run=" and "load=" look just like
    this, with nothing following the "=", not even a dot or a blank...?...

    [windows]
    load=
    run=

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Win 98SE
    | Run - msconfig - startup tab
    | I have a blank entry in the middle of my startup list.
    | There is a tick box, and an empty space to the right.
    | I have unticked it. How do I find out what it is please, and
    | then remove it?
    | Many thanks.
    | (I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Free, and three different
    | antispyware programs with one running resident)
    | --
    | Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    | http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    | Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    | (commission
    | goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    | http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

    Put back the tick, and click OK. Do not restart. Now run MSINFO32,
    expand the Software section, click on Startup Programs, and see if
    there's an empty line, with only something like "Machine Run", or
    "Per-User Run" to indicate where the entry is located.

    Entries are as follows:

    Per-User Run = Registry Value in:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Machine Run = Registry Value in:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Machine Services = Registry Value in:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Load= or Run= are found in Win.ini
    Startup Group indicates a shortcut in your Start>Programs>Startup
    folder.

    I'm betting you have an empty Registry value.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Put back the tick, and click OK. Do not restart. Now run MSINFO32,
    > expand the Software section, click on Startup Programs, and see if
    > there's an empty line, with only something like "Machine Run", or
    > "Per-User Run" to indicate where the entry is located.
    >
    > Entries are as follows:
    >
    > Per-User Run = Registry Value in:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > Machine Run = Registry Value in:
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > Machine Services = Registry Value in:
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > Load= or Run= are found in Win.ini
    > Startup Group indicates a shortcut in your Start>Programs>Startup folder.
    >
    > I'm betting you have an empty Registry value.

    Thanks Gary. I followed your instructions - and there was a
    blank in the Startup programs, which read
    Name column blank Loaded from "Registry (Machine Run)" -
    Command "blank"
    That list had 17 entries with (Machine Run) including the blank

    I navigated to
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    and had a list of my startup programs, looked normal.
    That list had 17 entries including the top entry which was
    (Default Value) (Value not set).
    But there was no blank
    The other 16 all pointed to *.exe files and corresponded
    with the entries in Startup list

    What do I do next please?
    Many thanks for your help.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

    My response in line with yours below:

    PCR wrote:
    > (1) This could be a problem with the "(Default)" line at one of the
    > Startup registry keys. They should all look like this...
    >
    > (Default) (value not set)
    >
    > Uncheck the blank line in MSConfig. Close out, but there is probably no
    > need to reboot. Then, it will go to a "Minus Key"...
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > -
    > ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".
    >
    > ...Now, navigate to each of those keys in turn. You should not have a
    > blank line in (Default). R-Clk it, & select "Delete". I just tried it, &
    > it works. After the Delete, it will immediately come back just like
    > this...
    >
    > (Default) (value not set)

    All those sections have a top line of (Default Value)
    (value not set)
    This is presumably as it should be

    > (2) "START button, Run, SysEdit, Win.ini tab".
    > In the [Windows] section, does "run=" and "load=" look just like
    > this, with nothing following the "=", not even a dot or a blank...?...
    >
    > [windows]
    > load=
    > run=

    I have
    [windows]
    load=
    run=hpfsched
    NullPort=None
    device=HP DeskJet 710C,HPFDJC13,LPT1:

    Thanks for the help. No joy so far.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

    Start msconfig, click on the "Startup" tab and make sure the blank
    item is checked. Then start regedit, expand and highlight the
    following keys and make sure the "Default" entry is "value not
    set". If not, right-click it, select "Delete" and confirm the deletion.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    Ben

    "Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:uxeFV1MfFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Win 98SE
    > Run - msconfig - startup tab
    > I have a blank entry in the middle of my startup list.
    > There is a tick box, and an empty space to the right.
    > I have unticked it. How do I find out what it is please, and
    > then remove it?
    > Many thanks.
    > (I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Free, and three different
    > antispyware programs with one running resident)
    > --
    > Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    > http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    > Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    > (commission
    > goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    > http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

    Uncheck ONLY the blank entry on the msconfig>Startup tab.
    Go to the registry keys that end with a MINUS sign, that PCR mentioned, and delete
    the keys themselves.....that is, delete these registry keys that end with a minus
    (-) sign:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-

    The keys will appear empty, but deleting the key should delete the blank entry with
    it.....I have done so before.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > My response in line with yours below:
    >
    > PCR wrote:
    > > (1) This could be a problem with the "(Default)" line at one of the
    > > Startup registry keys. They should all look like this...
    > >
    > > (Default) (value not set)
    > >
    > > Uncheck the blank line in MSConfig. Close out, but there is probably no
    > > need to reboot. Then, it will go to a "Minus Key"...
    > >
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > > -
    > > ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".
    > >
    > > ...Now, navigate to each of those keys in turn. You should not have a
    > > blank line in (Default). R-Clk it, & select "Delete". I just tried it, &
    > > it works. After the Delete, it will immediately come back just like
    > > this...
    > >
    > > (Default) (value not set)
    >
    > All those sections have a top line of (Default Value)
    > (value not set)
    > This is presumably as it should be
    >

    > > (2) "START button, Run, SysEdit, Win.ini tab".
    > > In the [Windows] section, does "run=" and "load=" look just like
    > > this, with nothing following the "=", not even a dot or a blank...?...
    > >
    > > [windows]
    > > load=
    > > run=
    > >

    > I have
    > [windows]
    > load=
    > run=hpfsched
    > NullPort=None
    > device=HP DeskJet 710C,HPFDJC13,LPT1:
    >
    > Thanks for the help. No joy so far.
    >
    > --
    > Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    > http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    > Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    > (commission
    > goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    > http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

    That's odd. Glad you fixed it, as I see in your response to Myers. But
    it should have worked precisely as I posted too. I just ran through it
    all again, & the thing moved from...

    (default) ""

    ....to it's "minus", where I was able to delete it, & it disappeared from
    MSConfig. But glad you are fixed. I don't know... maybe you kept RegEdit
    open while working in MSConfig or visa versa. Maybe that would muss
    things.

    --

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Start msconfig, click on the "Startup" tab and make sure the blank
    > item is checked. Then start regedit, expand and highlight the
    > following keys and make sure the "Default" entry is "value not
    > set". If not, right-click it, select "Delete" and confirm the deletion.
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    >
    > Ben

    thanks - I found a "" entry for

    I right clicked and deleted it and that got rid of the blank
    entry in msconfig startup tab. Survived a reboot.

    Interesting that your method worked only using regedit but
    with Gary's method I got no abnormal entry in the msinfo32
    program for the same key.

    Anyway - THANKS TO ALL. It's fixed now.
    --

    PCR wrote:
    > That's odd. Glad you fixed it,
    <snip>
    >I don't know... maybe you kept RegEdit
    > open while working in MSConfig or visa versa. Maybe that would muss
    > things.

    I did have RegEdit open while working in MSConfig I think.
    Thanks again to all of you.
    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

    You are welcome. When two apps access/modify the same thing, such as a
    particular Registry key, it is best to close one out before using the
    other. OK, fine, so long as all is well now.

    --
    | PCR wrote:
    | > That's odd. Glad you fixed it,
    | <snip>
    | >I don't know... maybe you kept RegEdit
    | > open while working in MSConfig or visa versa. Maybe that would muss
    | > things.
    | >

    | I did have RegEdit open while working in MSConfig I think.
    | Thanks again to all of you.
    | --
    | Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    | http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    | Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
    | (commission
    | goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    | http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

Microsoft Windows