Blank entry in my startup list

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 29, 2005 10:09:51 PM

Win 98SE
Run - msconfig - startup tab
I have a blank entry in the middle of my startup list.
There is a tick box, and an empty space to the right.
I have unticked it. How do I find out what it is please, and
then remove it?
Many thanks.
(I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Free, and three different
antispyware programs with one running resident)
--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

(1) This could be a problem with the "(Default)" line at one of the
Startup registry keys. They should all look like this...

(Default) (value not set)

Uncheck the blank line in MSConfig. Close out, but there is probably no
need to reboot. Then, it will go to a "Minus Key"...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
-
^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".

....Now, navigate to each of those keys in turn. You should not have a
blank line in (Default). R-Clk it, & select "Delete". I just tried it, &
it works. After the Delete, it will immediately come back just like
this...

(Default) (value not set)

(2) "START button, Run, SysEdit, Win.ini tab".
In the [Windows] section, does "run=" and "load=" look just like
this, with nothing following the "=", not even a dot or a blank...?...

[windows]
load=
run=

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
| Win 98SE
| Run - msconfig - startup tab
| I have a blank entry in the middle of my startup list.
| There is a tick box, and an empty space to the right.
| I have unticked it. How do I find out what it is please, and
| then remove it?
| Many thanks.
| (I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Free, and three different
| antispyware programs with one running resident)
| --
| Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
| http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
| Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
| (commission
| goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
| http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:09:52 PM

Put back the tick, and click OK. Do not restart. Now run MSINFO32,
expand the Software section, click on Startup Programs, and see if
there's an empty line, with only something like "Machine Run", or
"Per-User Run" to indicate where the entry is located.

Entries are as follows:

Per-User Run = Registry Value in:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Machine Run = Registry Value in:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Machine Services = Registry Value in:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
Load= or Run= are found in Win.ini
Startup Group indicates a shortcut in your Start>Programs>Startup
folder.

I'm betting you have an empty Registry value.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Win 98SE
> Run - msconfig - startup tab
> I have a blank entry in the middle of my startup list. There is a tick
> box, and an empty space to the right.
> I have unticked it. How do I find out what it is please, and then
> remove it?
> Many thanks.
> (I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Free, and three different antispyware
> programs with one running resident)
> --
> Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
> http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
> Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
> (commission
> goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
> http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

June 30, 2005 1:18:10 PM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Put back the tick, and click OK. Do not restart. Now run MSINFO32,
> expand the Software section, click on Startup Programs, and see if
> there's an empty line, with only something like "Machine Run", or
> "Per-User Run" to indicate where the entry is located.
>
> Entries are as follows:
>
> Per-User Run = Registry Value in:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> Machine Run = Registry Value in:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> Machine Services = Registry Value in:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
> Load= or Run= are found in Win.ini
> Startup Group indicates a shortcut in your Start>Programs>Startup folder.
>
> I'm betting you have an empty Registry value.

Thanks Gary. I followed your instructions - and there was a
blank in the Startup programs, which read
Name column blank Loaded from "Registry (Machine Run)" -
Command "blank"
That list had 17 entries with (Machine Run) including the blank

I navigated to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and had a list of my startup programs, looked normal.
That list had 17 entries including the top entry which was
(Default Value) (Value not set).
But there was no blank
The other 16 all pointed to *.exe files and corresponded
with the entries in Startup list

What do I do next please?
Many thanks for your help.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
(commission
goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:30:14 PM

My response in line with yours below:

PCR wrote:
> (1) This could be a problem with the "(Default)" line at one of the
> Startup registry keys. They should all look like this...
>
> (Default) (value not set)
>
> Uncheck the blank line in MSConfig. Close out, but there is probably no
> need to reboot. Then, it will go to a "Minus Key"...
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
> -
> ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".
>
> ...Now, navigate to each of those keys in turn. You should not have a
> blank line in (Default). R-Clk it, & select "Delete". I just tried it, &
> it works. After the Delete, it will immediately come back just like
> this...
>
> (Default) (value not set)

All those sections have a top line of (Default Value)
(value not set)
This is presumably as it should be

> (2) "START button, Run, SysEdit, Win.ini tab".
> In the [Windows] section, does "run=" and "load=" look just like
> this, with nothing following the "=", not even a dot or a blank...?...
>
> [windows]
> load=
> run=

I have
[windows]
load=
run=hpfsched
NullPort=None
device=HP DeskJet 710C,HPFDJC13,LPT1:

Thanks for the help. No joy so far.

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
(commission
goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:52:31 PM

Start msconfig, click on the "Startup" tab and make sure the blank
item is checked. Then start regedit, expand and highlight the
following keys and make sure the "Default" entry is "value not
set". If not, right-click it, select "Delete" and confirm the deletion.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Ben

"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:uxeFV1MfFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Win 98SE
> Run - msconfig - startup tab
> I have a blank entry in the middle of my startup list.
> There is a tick box, and an empty space to the right.
> I have unticked it. How do I find out what it is please, and
> then remove it?
> Many thanks.
> (I use Norton AV, Zone Alarm Free, and three different
> antispyware programs with one running resident)
> --
> Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
> http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
> Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
> (commission
> goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
> http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:58:03 PM

Uncheck ONLY the blank entry on the msconfig>Startup tab.
Go to the registry keys that end with a MINUS sign, that PCR mentioned, and delete
the keys themselves.....that is, delete these registry keys that end with a minus
(-) sign:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-

The keys will appear empty, but deleting the key should delete the blank entry with
it.....I have done so before.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> My response in line with yours below:
>
> PCR wrote:
> > (1) This could be a problem with the "(Default)" line at one of the
> > Startup registry keys. They should all look like this...
> >
> > (Default) (value not set)
> >
> > Uncheck the blank line in MSConfig. Close out, but there is probably no
> > need to reboot. Then, it will go to a "Minus Key"...
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
> > -
> > ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".
> >
> > ...Now, navigate to each of those keys in turn. You should not have a
> > blank line in (Default). R-Clk it, & select "Delete". I just tried it, &
> > it works. After the Delete, it will immediately come back just like
> > this...
> >
> > (Default) (value not set)
>
> All those sections have a top line of (Default Value)
> (value not set)
> This is presumably as it should be
>

> > (2) "START button, Run, SysEdit, Win.ini tab".
> > In the [Windows] section, does "run=" and "load=" look just like
> > this, with nothing following the "=", not even a dot or a blank...?...
> >
> > [windows]
> > load=
> > run=
> >

> I have
> [windows]
> load=
> run=hpfsched
> NullPort=None
> device=HP DeskJet 710C,HPFDJC13,LPT1:
>
> Thanks for the help. No joy so far.
>
> --
> Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
> http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
> Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
> (commission
> goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
> http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:35:50 PM

That's odd. Glad you fixed it, as I see in your response to Myers. But
it should have worked precisely as I posted too. I just ran through it
all again, & the thing moved from...

(default) ""

....to it's "minus", where I was able to delete it, & it disappeared from
MSConfig. But glad you are fixed. I don't know... maybe you kept RegEdit
open while working in MSConfig or visa versa. Maybe that would muss
things.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Robert M Jones" <robert53newsgroups-ms@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
| My response in line with yours below:
|
| PCR wrote:
| > (1) This could be a problem with the "(Default)" line at one of the
| > Startup registry keys. They should all look like this...
| >
| > (Default) (value not set)
| >
| > Uncheck the blank line in MSConfig. Close out, but there is probably
no
| > need to reboot. Then, it will go to a "Minus Key"...
| >
| > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
| > -
| > ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".
| >
| > ...Now, navigate to each of those keys in turn. You should not have
| > blank line in (Default). R-Clk it, & select "Delete". I just tried
it, &
| > it works. After the Delete, it will immediately come back just like
| > this...
| >
| > (Default) (value not set)
|
| All those sections have a top line of (Default Value)
| (value not set)
| This is presumably as it should be
|

| > (2) "START button, Run, SysEdit, Win.ini tab".
| > In the [Windows] section, does "run=" and "load=" look just
like
| > this, with nothing following the "=", not even a dot or a
blank...?...

| > [windows]
| > load=
| > run=
| >

| I have
| [windows]
| load=
| run=hpfsched
| NullPort=None
| device=HP DeskJet 710C,HPFDJC13,LPT1:
|
| Thanks for the help. No joy so far.
|
| --
| Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
| http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
| Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
| (commission
| goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
| http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:19:12 PM

Ben Myers wrote:
> Start msconfig, click on the "Startup" tab and make sure the blank
> item is checked. Then start regedit, expand and highlight the
> following keys and make sure the "Default" entry is "value not
> set". If not, right-click it, select "Delete" and confirm the deletion.
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
>
> Ben

thanks - I found a "" entry for

I right clicked and deleted it and that got rid of the blank
entry in msconfig startup tab. Survived a reboot.

Interesting that your method worked only using regedit but
with Gary's method I got no abnormal entry in the msinfo32
program for the same key.

Anyway - THANKS TO ALL. It's fixed now.
--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
(commission
goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:10:49 AM

PCR wrote:
> That's odd. Glad you fixed it,
<snip>
>I don't know... maybe you kept RegEdit
> open while working in MSConfig or visa versa. Maybe that would muss
> things.

I did have RegEdit open while working in MSConfig I think.
Thanks again to all of you.
--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter -
(commission
goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 5:40:19 AM

You are welcome. When two apps access/modify the same thing, such as a
particular Registry key, it is best to close one out before using the
other. OK, fine, so long as all is well now.

--

!